Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

Trouble filling fresh water tank

We just bought 2007 All American Sport 375ckds. It has 2 places to fill & what I assumed was 2 overflow tubes next to the drain tubes. We have filled both until water runs out overflow but monitor reads 2/3 full. It did not seem long enough to run 90 gallons. What are we missing in this "should be easy" process?
BETHCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Are you sure the tank was even empty to start with?

Also please remember that it could be you have a bulb in your monitor burned out. It could be some kind of error on your system when it really is full.

Now you said 90 gallons filled quite. It could be that it was not completely empty to begin with. Pictures of your fill would be great.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #3

We thought of that also. We drained the tank and refilled. Same thing. We filled 5 gal bucket and timed it, then filled tank (after draining). We came up with 55 gal. Monitor read 2/3 full, which would be very close. (60 gal= 2/3 of 90 gal) The bulb on the monitor works when we check the battery. All lights on.
I know we are just missing something. BUT WHAT?!!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

Hi there, my wife and I had the same problem, bought a new Rockwood Windjammer last fall and filled or at least thought we had filled the fresh tank. Went through the tank very quick, did this twice with the same results. I too used a five gallon bucket to caculate how much, and it wasn't a full tank even though it was overflowing. I took the hose and just let it run while it kept shooting back out until I herd a thud and it stopped overflowing and filled completely up.. It was an air lock.. Hope this helps
Old 03-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
"Two places to fill" (see original statement) = 2 separate tanks.
Monitor will only read one tank.
Maybe a second monitor somewhere, or a switch to monitor one tank or the other???

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #6

Thank you so much. The air lock sounds like the problem. We just tried your suggestion and water ran out overflow tubes and then out the fillvalve. It hasn't worked. Not yet at least. Thanks again.

We have filled both tanks. (or tryed) the monitoring only 1 tank at a time makes sense. Thanks. But we have measured the intake of water and there is noway 90 gallons. (90 gal full)
i thank you both for your help. Don't stop now!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

Sounds like the same problem a friend had with his Sundance 5th. The fill pipe was installed wrong. Instead of going "downhill" from the fill hole to the tank, there was a upward loop in the pipe that prevented a full fill. Once the dealer rerouted the pipe properly the problem was fixed.
jpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Maybe this:
2011 Sundance fresh water tank

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #9

WOW! Thanks guys! I never dreamed I would get so much great advice. We have things to try now. We had about give up for the day, but here we go. Thanks again and I will let everyone know tomorrow how we did. Keep thinking though, just in case. . .
AGAIN, WOW!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #10

Well, still no luck. We leave the 17th on our first trip and luckly we will have water hookups. We already have appointment to take it back to the dealer when we return. Hopefully they can fix this problem.
Thanks again for all your help. This was great having so many people jump in and try to help.
Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #11

On mine, I can crawl under the trailer, and look at the tanks. They are translucent, and you can see the water level in them. Can you do this with yours?
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #12

NO I CAN'T. THE DEALER HAS THE CAMPER NOW. THEY TOOK THE BOTTOM OFF AND LOOKED AT THE TANKS AND SAID THEY WERE FULL. A FLOAT IN THE TANK WAS BROKEN, THEY FIX IT AND THE MONITOR READS FULL NOW. IT IS SUPPOSE TO HAVE A 90 GALLON TANK. DEALER SAYS IT IS A 90 GAL TANK. BY OUR MEASUREMENTS IT ONLY HOLDS 60 GALLONS. WE WENT ON A TRIP LAST WEEKEND AND RAN OUT OF WATER WITH 1 DAY LEFT. LAST YEAR, SAME TRIP, SAME WATER HABITS, DIFFERENT CAMPER w/90 GALLON TANK AND WE BROUGHT WATER HOME. I GUESS MY CONCLUSION IS THAT WE BOUGHT A CAMPER THINKING IT HAD 90 GAL TANK BUT WE GOT SCREWED OUT OF 30 GALLONS OF WATER. I JUST HOPE THAT'S ALL WE GOT SCREWED OUT OF.

LIVE AND LEARN I GUESS. LIKE WE CAN MEASURE ALL THE TANKS ON A CAMPER BEFORE WE BUY. . .
Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #13

Just a note, All caps is "shouting". Turn caps off. It is also harder to read.

At least you now know that the tank is full. My FR toyhauler has two, about 80 gal. tanks, by my measurements. Having less than you thought sucks. If you bought it new from them, and they said 90, I would pursue the matter!
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #14

Sorry about caps. The camper is preowned so we'll just have to live with it for now. It will be hard knowing that we will probably run out of water on most of our trips but everything else about the trip will make up for it, I'm sure.

Thanks again
Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #15

Forrest River really did a poor job installing these. They say I have 100 gal capacity (50 gal per tank) but I could never get more than 60 gallons on. I dropped the belly cover and had to re work all the plumbing so the tanks would actually fill right up and vent properly.

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #16

Thank you for that, and I totally agree. We love the camper but there are a few things that weren't thought through on Forest River's part. We will try your suggestion as soon as we have the time. Camping for us is hot & heavy right now. When we slow down alittle we will look into it. I'm alittle nervous about taking the underbelly off. I just hope we can get everything back the way it is supposed to be. I'm sure we will be fine.
Thanks again,
BETHCH