Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
Originally Posted by bobbyg123 View Post
Hi Kozzy. Yes, I'd appreciate a towing review of your Dodge. Given the cost of diesel fuel today, I'd rather stick with a gas engine. The 2500 HEMI or the F150 heavy duty payload package seem like good options. The HEMI is pretty brutal with fuel economy though.
I seem to keep having to illustrate this point to all those who've never owned a diesel vehicle (and it counts whether it's a VW Jetta to a Toyota Yaris, or a 2500 gasser to a CTD/Duramax/PS.). You fill up your Yaris with gas, it costs you $30 and you go 350-400 miles. I fill up my Jetta TDI, it costs $40, but I don't have to fill up again for 600-650 miles. It cost me $80 to go 1200 miles, cost you $90. Don't get hung up on the price at the pump, do the math! And as for towing anything--there's no substitute for diesel torque. My 2500 CTD gets 19-21 MPG empty, not bad for a 7000# truck.

2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
Posts: 329 are correct. I misspoke on part of my post...i was referring to mods on the rear end...and used the air bags as a bad fault.. are correct ..I used to own a diesel. Loved it and it can't be matched at all.I lead a fifth wheel at the time..weighed in at 14k lbs and it didn't even make a difference on my truck at all...was great.....I got rid of it because even with the better mileage, for everyday driving it still cost more due to the higher diesel prices. that and I got rid of the 5r
I actually wouldn't mind going back to diesel but I have at least 7 years before I'm buying a new truck...

Payload on the 1/2 ton ram outdoorsman is a little over 1400 lbs...with the hitch weight of the 38bhs at approx 800... That leaves plenty of room for error and cargo in the truck.
A 2500 bumps your payload up to 2000 lbs...

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #23

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #24
And it was a CTD at that....awesome truck....looks like we have some good taste( or I did when I had the diesel haha)

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #25
What i can tell you is do your home work on being in your limits of your trucks gwvr, and gcwvr. i have a 2011 ford f150 with a 5.0 (not max tow). we just put a deposit on a 2012 prime time tracer 3150bhd touring edition, which seems to be a similar trailer to your. Don't let certain people on here discourage you on your decisions... I will be at the max of my trucks weight limits, and i'm not worried about it one bit.... So with that being said as long as your under or right at the factory set weight limits ( maybe a little over) youll be fine with the proper WD hitch and smooth driving, and not driving like some other knuckle heads you see out there you will be ok i think
billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #26
Many years ago, I was on vaction with my folks in a rented TT. We had towed this 22' TT from the North of England down to the South coast behing a 1938 Austin 12, which had drum brakes all round and a 4-cylinder 1.8L L-head engine than pout out maybe 50 horsepower on a good day.

A young family showed up at the CG we were staying at. The husband had got a job at a refinery in the Southampton area and the had moved from the north coast of Scotland. They owned a 36' mobile home and had towed it all the way (about 600 miles) behind a 1950 Morris Minor. The old dog had a 950cc L-head engine, putting out maybe 25 hp.

When I see some of the cautions on here about not getting too much trailer for your TV to handle, I have to laugh. Recently, one of the main magazines covering UK RV activities listed it's "Best Tow Vehicles" for 2011. For a 2700 pound trailer, they listed the Ford Focus. For a 3500 pounder, their choice was a VW Passat diesel and they figured the Land Rover Discovery diesel could handle a 6000 pound trailer.

My uncle used to tow a 2800 pound trailer all over Europe with an Austin Cambridge sedan, which had a 1500 cc motor that developed maybe 50 horsepower on a good day. They went to Switzerland and Germany frequently (and rather slowly!) and the Austin never developed any diseases that could be related to its towing duties.

The weight "police" in this country are full of a well known barnyard exhaust emission.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #27
F and E Damp,
You can jest all you like, but pulling too much weight is simply stupid.
I have seen people killed by their own carelessness. Do you think that is funny? I sure don't.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #28
Crocus, You have to go live in England for awhile to appreciate their approach to anything mechanical. I spent 3 yrs at RAF Upper Heyford and sure was glad to get back to the states and see stateside hillbillys.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Frank, that was entertaining but I'm not sure if you that was tongue-in-cheek or serious. If you really were serious, I've got a couple questions for you...

1) If it went bad, would you personally replace that V10 in your Georgetown with something underpowered?

2) If weights don't matter, than what metric should be used to match tow vehicle with trailer?
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
Originally Posted by kozzy mpg is acceptable at 15 mpg...I went for the half ton for exactly the same reasons you describe...gas mileage for everyday driving..otherwise I would have went with the 2500.. Sounds like you And I are of the same mind set. My dodge is a 2011...has a higher rear axle at 3.92... Which gives it higher towing capacity. I have a 5 speed trany in it....towing the boat is a breeze with it. I pickup my camper from the dealer on march I should have more to report.
Another option if you wanted to help out with pay load and keep good mileage is to just beef up the rear suspension on a half ton...air bags something like will probably still get your desired outcome.
For me...this truck gave me the best solution for all around decent everyday driving and The ability to tow my heavy boat and camper...
Daily driving mileage and towing power/capacity were the same two requirements for my TV. So I traded my '08 Sierra 1500 for my brother's '05 Silverado 2500HD Duramax and bought a used '06 Honda Civic. Solved all my problems and now my TV should outlast my kids' interest in camping with their parents! P.S. - Our youngest is one and there's another bun in the oven! I'll be lucky to put 5k miles per year on my TV. And I get 35 MPG instead of 15!!

ehannesson is offline   Reply With Quote