Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
DS ADV Rider

2012 Lacrosse 301RLS Touring - new issues

We're now in our winter destination at Tucson and using our trailer more extensively. New problems are showing up that we'll need to raise with the local PT dealer (Lazydays) on Thursday, but I wondered if others had encountered these problems and found solutions.
1) The free-standing table is now really free-standing. It seems the flooring only uses 1/4" plywood (bonded to foam) and the screws holding down the table have "stripped" the screwholes. I wondered why the screws for the D-ring hold-downs were in at 45 degrees - seems like PT know they won't hold at 90, but table has no choice.
2) It's unusually cold here and we have trouble heating the coach. The funace cycles on and off too quickly, which I think is caused by the thermostat being directly above the kitchen floor vent. We tried cranking the setting way higher than normal and covering that outlet but neither are good solutions.
3) The electric stabilizers are quite ineffective. Seems that the self-adjusting feature (for uneven ground) also lets the trailer rock from side to side as the "carrier" just slides in the main frame. The rear stabilizer makes so much noise (creaking and clanking) when we walk, that we've raised it as the extra rocking is less annoying than the noise.
4) The furnace is under the refrigerator and next to the TV. When it's ON it drowns out the TV and you must crank the volume much higher. Of course, as soon as the furnace stops, the TV is blaring. I have wireless headphones (for private listening) but that's no solution for 2 people watching TV.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bob

Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
We're now in our winter destination at Tucson and using our trailer more extensively. New problems are showing up that we'll need to raise with the local PT dealer (Lazydays) on Thursday, but I wondered if others had encountered these problems and found solutions.
1) The free-standing table is now really free-standing. It seems the flooring only uses 1/4" plywood (bonded to foam) and the screws holding down the table have "stripped" the screwholes. I wondered why the screws for the D-ring hold-downs were in at 45 degrees - seems like PT know they won't hold at 90, but table has no choice.
2) It's unusually cold here and we have trouble heating the coach. The funace cycles on and off too quickly, which I think is caused by the thermostat being directly above the kitchen floor vent. We tried cranking the setting way higher than normal and covering that outlet but neither are good solutions.
3) The electric stabilizers are quite ineffective. Seems that the self-adjusting feature (for uneven ground) also lets the trailer rock from side to side as the "carrier" just slides in the main frame. The rear stabilizer makes so much noise (creaking and clanking) when we walk, that we've raised it as the extra rocking is less annoying than the noise.
4) The furnace is under the refrigerator and next to the TV. When it's ON it drowns out the TV and you must crank the volume much higher. Of course, as soon as the furnace stops, the TV is blaring. I have wireless headphones (for private listening) but that's no solution for 2 people watching TV.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bob

Sorry to hear of your problems. Hopefully the dealer will rectify the issues at hand with the table and stabilizer jack noise.

1) If you already have an appointment with the dealer, let them re-attach the table.

2) The furnace can be noisy and cycle often depending on outside temps. I think that unless the thermostat can be relocated the frequent "cycling" may continue.

3) If the stabilizers are working properly (hopefully the dealer will check this), if on uneven ground, the one closer to the ground will touch the ground first and then "wait" for the other side to catch up. Then they will put equal pressure down. I usually put enough down pressure to just see the coach start to raise. If the assembly is working properly and their is "good" pressure on the jacks then the "carrier" should be locked due to opposing pressure from each leg putting pressure to the ground.

4) I have the same problem with the heater noise in my 303 but, in my case, the heater is under the kitchen counter right next to the 2 swivel chairs. To alleviate this a little, I run the TV sound through the stereo (Aux. 3 in my case) and ceiling speakers (sort of built in surround sound). I noticed in the 360 tour of your model what looks like 2 speakers above your swivel rockers so this option may help.

Good luck, happy camping and let us know how it all works out.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
DS ADV Rider

See comments in RED:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
1) If you already have an appointment with the dealer, let them re-attach the table.
I will, but if they do it the same as PT did then I'd expect the same result. Thought perhaps "hollow wall fittings" or similar might be needed, as 1/4" obviously doesn't have much holding strength. Would have thought PT would have had wood block located under 1/4" ply.

2) .... I think that unless the thermostat can be relocated the frequent "cycling" may continue.
Deflector on floor outlet? Move floor outlet? Relocating any wiring in a trailer seems a difficult task whereas access to underfloor heating duct may be easier?

3) ... I usually put enough down pressure to just see the coach start to raise. If the assembly is working properly and their is "good" pressure on the jacks then the "carrier" should be locked due to opposing pressure from each leg putting pressure to the ground.
I do the same but I don't see that the carrier is "locked" once the legs balance out. I actually watched the carrier moving when my wife was inside trying to rock the trailer.

4) I have the same problem with the heater noise in my 303 but, in my case, the heater is under the kitchen counter right next to the 2 swivel chairs. To alleviate this a little, I run the TV sound through the stereo (Aux. 3 in my case) and ceiling speakers (sort of built in surround sound). I noticed in the 360 tour of your model what looks like 2 speakers above your swivel rockers so this option may help.
We do use the ceiling speakers (the 4 in the main coach) but the firnace is just too load and drowns them out when set to normal listening levels. We noticed yesterday that the furnace seems quieter from the outside than inside. It's right behind the slat vents under the fridge and can't see why it should be "open" to the interior.

Thanks for your comments. We'll see what the dealer comes up with on Thursday.

Bob

Good luck, happy camping and let us know how it all works out.
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
See comments in RED:
Furnace area is "open" to the interior to allow the "cooler" airflow from the coach into the heater to be re-heated.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote