Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

SWEET !!! The Super Cab with the 6.5' bed and the 157" wheelbase is about the best rig you can have in a 1/2 ton pickup.....that is 1 long truck......great for pulling a long camper.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #12

Yes, memory foam and a good quality mattress pad made all the difference. We did not trim the mattress pad at the bottom - this made the mattress just a bit longer at the end.

Our kids are actually young adults. The bunk room makes a great 'guest room' when they are with us, or a den when it is just hubby and me. My mom and I used it a few weeks ago, and a double sized mattress pad and a very cushy mattress cover made the BH couch into a very comfy bed for my mom. (or you can use the inflatable mattress that comes with the living room couch - it also fits on top of the BH couch).

I am glad we got the 318BHS without the fireplace. I use those cabinets!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #13

Thanks Laura....the Missus can use all the great tips to improve the interior accommodations, especially the sleeping area. She's doing all the above and looking into the 4" memory foam.
We thought PT should have made the fireplace an option and made at least one long storage drawer underneath the dining seat. That said, overall we still like the Lacrosse over other brands and so will the grandsons.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #14

But, a caution about memory foam - if you cold weather camp, and do not like heating up the trailer while you sleep, the memory foam is going to feel like you are sleeping on a board. Less expensive foam might be better.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #15

Another tip on cold weather camping. We tailgait during college football season and spend a few weekends each year in sub-freezing weather. One of the absolute BEST purchases we made was a heated mattress pad. They're inexpensive, and even if you use a small generator like we do when we're tailgaiting, they hardly use any measurable wattage.

If you have a memory foam topper like we do, you'll want to make sure that you have something between the foam and the heated pad. That's pretty simple as well. We put the foam topper directly on top of the mattress, then put another inexpensive mattress pad/cover on top of the foam, AND THEN put the heated mattress pad on top of that. The bed sheets go directly on top of the heated pad, and with a 15 minute "pre-heat," our bed is toasty warm, even when temps drop to 15 degrees.

Here in the Northwest, we sometimes camp at altitude and/or in areas with dense tree cover. It gets chilly at night, even in the summer. The heated mattress pad is fantastic and it allows us to turn off the furnace at night.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg123 View Post
Here in the Northwest, we sometimes camp at altitude and/or in areas with dense tree cover. It gets chilly at night, even in the summer. The heated mattress pad is fantastic and it allows us to turn off the furnace at night.

Who draws the short straw and gets up to turn on the furnace in the morning?

We like it cool while sleeping. We don't turn the furnace off but the thermostat is set at 60 degrees.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Who draws the short straw and gets up to turn on the furnace in the morning?
I do, of course. If I freeze her out, she'll freeze me out....if you know what I mean.

Happy wife, happy life.

Tags
318bhs