Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

2013 318BHS Issues

We just took delivery or a new 318BHS and have two issues I need help and/or advice. The water heater does not seem to work on the electric switch. Has anyone else have this issue? Can someone share the procedure the use to heat and maintain the hot water? Also, I can not set the 4 electric stabilizers to prevent the trailer from shaking when we walk. I set the trailer level, then drop the stabs until the touch and are solid against the ground. We are on concrete .
Need advice... Thanks...

rvenneman@me.com

Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

For the water heater, there might be a lock out switch behind the outside access panel. There should be a cotter pin you have to remove, then flip that switch on. Then try it on electric again.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
New to Forest River

That's two people I know I've seen say the same basic thing about the electric stabilizer jacks. The other person said that the slide shuttle that allows either side to touch down first then wait for the other is still free to slide after it settles in that therefore allows the trailer to wiggle more than is desired. I'm due to get my new 318BHS in the next week or two, so I am interested in this converation also.
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #4

Make sure there is water in the tank...make sure the bypass valves are set appropriately. Electric will take a while to heat up. If someone turned on electric when the tank was empty they could have burned up the element.

Make sure that you chock your wheels. Make sure they are snug. If not, you will get trailer movement even with stablizers down.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvenneman View Post
I can not set the 4 electric stabilizers to prevent the trailer from shaking when we walk. I set the trailer level, then drop the stabs until the touch and are solid against the ground. We are on concrete .
Need advice... Thanks...

rvenneman@me.com
It isn't the fault of the stabilizers. If you don't want shake, you need to invest in a set of JT StrongArms or SteadyFast stabilizers. These are available on some campers as standard or optional equipment. I also place a jackstand close to the axles on both sides to minimize movement from the tires/suspension.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #6

Well.. I am embarrassed . It seems the problem with the electric heater was the breaker was not on. Shame on me... But more shame on the dealer for not making me aware of the fact I needed to take additional steps to turn on the heater on a new delivery.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

I use extended BAL x-chocks and I put quite a bit of pressure on the stabilizer jacks. When the motor starts to bog down, that's about it. That gets most of the bounce out of it but not all. You'll never get it all out.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #8

The breaker was probably off so that you didn't burn it up. It is very common for people to turn it on without water in it. I got in the habit of flipping the breaker as part of take down.

You will NOT be able to get all the wiggle out of your trailer unless you stiffen up the frame and remove the wheels. There are between the wheel chocks that you should invest in that will help plus help keep your unit from rolling away. The other things mentioned will help too.