Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

2013 Lacrosse 318BHS Touring Edition - OPINION -

So I think we just found our first travel trailer... but now I'm having second thoughts. Previously looking at a Jayflight 32BHDS, was ready to sign and decided to give another dealer one last look. LONG story short for a hair bit over $23k we are getting a 2013 Lacrosse 318BHS Touring Edition. With Prime Time being only a few years old versus Jayco's history and reputation, I just don't know how quality and construction compares. The Jayco was about $1k less and comes from a GREAT dealership. From what I can read PT customer satisfaction is good... guess I'm looking for reassurance one way or the other. The Jayco dealer is now looking to see about an Eagle with the same floor plan.
PHD112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #2

I looked for 3 years. Nearly pulled the trigger on several other brands. In the end it just did not feel right. Ultimately, we went with the Lacrosse 318bhs. We have not regrets. The Lacrosse is the best value out there....Customer support for the product is excellent. This forum is perfect example. Can you ask jayco's president questions personally? My dealings with Jeff Rank, President; Chris Herman VP; Brandon York, former customer service; and others have been super. Looking forward to another great year of camping....Although I really like the additions of the front cap and ladder to the 2013 models. I wish I had them. I am torn between the fireplace and dvd storage in the entertainment center. Good Luck and hope to welcome you to the PT Crew.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
William

Wow, that's a pretty good deal. My brother was looking at them for just under 30K.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. Not knocking Jayco at all, we owned a 2008 Eagle TT for 4 years and had zero problems with it. Being a member of the Jayco Owners Forum for that time I heard/read great things about their customer support. When it was time to go 5th wheel we started looking at Jayco's and found a great floorplan in their brochure. Once inside the unit it just didn't feel right. The layout, fit and finish were all there, but we just didn't get that 'buy it' feeling. Our search continued until we stepped into a Sabre 34REQS-6. Everything about it just felt right so we ordered one decked out the way we wanted.

You've got in narrowed down, that's good. Go with the one that fits your tow vehicle, needs/wants list, budget, and style of camping. Then don't look back or second guess. That Lacrosse 318BHS is a great unit. Good luck with your decision.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #5

We LOVE our 2013 Lacrosse 318bhs touring edition!! Looked for 4 months and it was the best for our family and the price was great!
2013 Night Camping 41
kempoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
New to Forest River

Just had our 2013 318BHS out for 1 weekend and am liking it so far. Fit and finish are good. The bunkhouse in the back has paid off already with naptime for our Grandson. Storage is good and the outside kitchen is pretty cool.

FYI - you can switch the door on the outside fridge to open to the left, like it should have been set to in the first place.
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
FYI - you can switch the door on the outside fridge to open to the left, like it should have been set to in the first place.

First we love ours too!

But, changing the fridge door, I was a afraid that it might come open easier when traveling?
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the quick replies, this is a great forum. The Jayco dealer is offering to order me the 32BHDS with the thermal package to increase the R value (one of my many "wants" was to have a decent R value). There's trade offs here and there but we're the type of family whose luck consists of only bad. So still undecided... I can't help thinking for the prices the Lacrosse is a better "bang for the buck". The trailer is going to more or less stay on some property we have versus towing here and there (but you never know). For those that own Lacrosse's and others in the past how do feel in regards to the construction... everyone is different but any flaws seen? Thanks for all you help.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #9

Man,....if you can get a Lacrosse 318BHS TE for 24K, I'd jump all over that deal!!!! That's a lot of QUALITY trailer for that price. We have had our 2011 303RKS (that I paid a lot more for) since Sept. 2010 and have spent almost 200 nights in it from New Hampshire to Myrtle Beach and back with NO major problems (that weren't my fault). It only went back to the dealer once (my fault) to fix the thermo coupler on the refridge because I parked the TT on a slant with the fridge running for too long which tripped the thermo switch. And, since I didn't know why the fridge stopped working, I took it in and "got educated" by the tech about parking on a slant for too long with the fridge running.

The overall construction, fit, finish and materials look and feel better that our previous 2008 Wildwood TT.

My conversations and dealings with RVGuy and his crew at the factory have been nothing but pleasant, prompt and "over and above".

As for me, our next unit will be another Prime Time!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave65 View Post
I looked for 3 years. Nearly pulled the trigger on several other brands. In the end it just did not feel right. Ultimately, we went with the Lacrosse 318bhs. We have not regrets. The Lacrosse is the best value out there....Customer support for the product is excellent. This forum is perfect example. Can you ask jayco's president questions personally? My dealings with Jeff Rank, President; Chris Herman VP; Brandon York, former customer service; and others have been super. Looking forward to another great year of camping....Although I really like the additions of the front cap and ladder to the 2013 models. I wish I had them. I am torn between the fireplace and dvd storage in the entertainment center. Good Luck and hope to welcome you to the PT Crew.
PADave, how well does your F150 do towing this trailer? I have the same truck and have been looking at this trailer too.
Bronyaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #11

The wife and I have looked for 6 months, and picked out 318 on 3/27/13, with the features and the bunk, it was perfect for everything that we wanted. It is our first camper so I cannot wait to start enjoying it.

2013 Chevy 2500, 6.6 Duramax
2013 Lacrosse 318
Gulfrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by checca View Post

First we love ours too!

But, changing the fridge door, I was a afraid that it might come open easier when traveling?
This might be true, but only if travelling with the outer kitchen door open (up), in which case the orientation of the fridge door would be the least of your problems. :-)
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
This might be true, but only if travelling with the outer kitchen door open (up), in which case the orientation of the fridge door would be the least of your problems. :-)
Good catch ... Didn't think about that!
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #14

We had been "shopping" for 6-8 months. Attended an RV show in January ... and were really sold on the 318 BHS. We looked at the touring edition, and for the price difference between the two -- with and without the touring edition package -- we chose the non touring edition.

We really like the champagne color, and couldn't get the TE in the champagne.
Just picked ours up this last week, and have spent the weekend getting everything set up and transferred from our smaller trailer. Phew. Lots more space!

Have reservations next weekend for our first trip with the new camper.
So excited!

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #15

We bought our 318BHS at the Hershey Show in 2011. Picked it up in Oct and have loved it ever since. We had been looking for the right rig for about 7 months at that point.
Before seeing this model at the show, my wife was convinced we'd be waiting awhile before making the plunge. Saw it Saturday, went back to make the deal on Sunday.

The fit/finish is of good quality IMO. Having a 2012, there are a couple things I would change, and I was delighted/kicking myself when I saw they had changed most them for 2013. lol

The only issues we've had were an issue with the front stabilizing jack, one of the outlets, and the upholstered screw covers coming off around the u-shaped dinette. The first two were easy fixes the dealer took care of and smooth sailing since. The last one, I just need to get off my behind and order some replacements if possible.

We probably will be looking to trade in the rig in the next season or two, but that's only because we would like to upgrade to the Primetime Crusader 360BHS. It was extremely nice to find a lot of the things we love about our 318 in 5th wheel form.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #16

Thanks everyone for your comments... we decided to go with LaCrosse 318 BHS Touring Edition... sort of. Went to pick it up and do walkthrough yesterday at the dealer and found some issues that need to be addressed first. So no we're waiting on the call that she's ready to get picked up... again. Can't wait to get this up to our land!!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #17

Sorry Bronyaur for the delay.....My F150 Supercrew (6.5 bed) 4x4 Ecoboost with Max Tow does an excellent job. I have towed my trailer through wind, across long bridges, 4 lanes, over steep mountains. It has handled everything very well. Loads of power.....it pulled my trailer up Elysburg Mountain (near Knobles) as fast as I wanted to go. Lots of low end torque makes towing much easier. I believe that the 4 Way Equalizer, electronic sway control, and the larger distance between trailer axles have all added to the towing experience. Love the way it tows...some will tell you that you need a 3/4 ton.....my payload and towing capacty is very close to what 3/4 tons were rated at less than 10 years ago. You really need the max tow package though....and if you pack alot of campfire would or other heavy stuff in the truckbed, I recommend that you get the heavy duty payload package. Dealers do not carry them on their lots so you will need to special order.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
American Dreamer

My thoughts after a year on the road and over 18 months owning it.

No doubt Bob Vila did not build this but over all great trailer. Only big problem while at Key West awning engine burned once we got to Orlando had it service and covered by warranty.

We bought a Brand New 2012 Prime Time Lacrosse 318BHS Touring Edition with vent covers, satellite for 4 tvs and we paid out the door $23,499.00.

Now we have loved the trailer but we chose the wrong floor plan this has nothing to do with the actual trailer as such we have nothing bad to say about it in actuality totally the opposite we have been fulltiming a year in a trailer that was not design for it and it has performed way above expectations.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHD112 View Post
So I think we just found our first travel trailer... but now I'm having second thoughts. Previously looking at a Jayflight 32BHDS, was ready to sign and decided to give another dealer one last look. LONG story short for a hair bit over $23k we are getting a 2013 Lacrosse 318BHS Touring Edition. With Prime Time being only a few years old versus Jayco's history and reputation, I just don't know how quality and construction compares. The Jayco was about $1k less and comes from a GREAT dealership. From what I can read PT customer satisfaction is good... guess I'm looking for reassurance one way or the other. The Jayco dealer is now looking to see about an Eagle with the same floor plan.
The jayco eagle is more like the lacrosse. The jay flight more like the advenger or tracer.
Went threw the same thing as you a few month ago.
We liked the jayco 308rets and the lacrosse 323 rst te c.
Like the jayco 2 year warranty vs 1 year on the lacrosse.
The extras bells and whistles on the lacrosse made the difference for us at the time.
We love our lacrosse but we have had / have some problems, but I think the jayco would of had a few as well. Eye candy counts for a lot but its what inside counts for alot as well. I say do your homework on the construction of the units. Look past the bells and whistles get into the guts and what makes it tick or holds it together.

and good luck!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHD112 View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments... we decided to go with LaCrosse 318 BHS Touring Edition... sort of. Went to pick it up and do walkthrough yesterday at the dealer and found some issues that need to be addressed first. So no we're waiting on the call that she's ready to get picked up... again. Can't wait to get this up to our land!!
Congrats on the new Lacrosse....sort of!! There good units
Sorry didnt see this post when I made my prior post.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote