Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #1

2013 Sanibel Shakedown Trip

Recently bought a 2013 Sanibel 3500 and am currently on a shakedown camping trip (3 weeks). We are in the process of checking and rechecking everything in the unit. So far we have a couple of discrepancies:

1. One Lane rocker chair in living room has a tear in the fabric and obvious scuff on the foot rest release handle, the other lane rocker chair is lacking a snap fastener bottom piece to button close the side pouch.
2. Bathroom door damaged from strike plate screw damaging door.
3. Tires including spare are 22 months old. Good practice dictates replacing tires every 5 years. Already has almost 2 years of the 5 used. Marathon ST 235/30 R16 Load E.
4. Window frame bent causing window and screen to severely stick when opening and closing. Window is located 2nd window back from door.

The most serious concern is item 4 above. The window and screen can be opened and closed, but takes a lot of effort.

We are pretty happy with the Sanibel and still have about 2 more weeks of camping and checking it out. Had one issue with the auto leveling system when it set the unit high up with all legs fully extended. Had 14.5" between the bottom step and ground. A call to LCI tech resulted in a recal (zeroing) of the system and now it is down to a manageable height.

Am impressed with the support received from Primetime and LCI.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #2

Hi:
We also had the bathroom door issue, the dealer replaced the door. We had on window replaced because of the same reason. Our dealer has been great (rvs of sacramento).
We have had it about one year now and have about 25,000 miles and no coach problems.
Prime time has been VERY responsive.
Ours is in for warranty repairs as we speak. the micro wave quit and a slide gasket has torn. watch out for cabinet doors opening while in transit, the slides will damage them when you open it.
We have had several rvs of different makes and the Sanibel seem the best thought out.
Enjoy, enjoy,enjoy the remainder of your trip
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #3

Wayne
This is the second time (Barry was the first) I've heard about cabinet doors coming open. Can you advise which doors are the problem? We've pulled our unit around Ohio on several outings this summer and never had this happen. BBBlue, we love our Sanibel. Minor glitch here and there, nothing to get excited about. I usually fix the issue and move on. I'd be interested to know more about the recal on the leveling system.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

Thanks Wayne for your input. Popcorn- What the LCI tech had me do was to place the system in manual and bring down the rear then the front. I had a electronic level gage and he had me level it side to side according to my gage, then front to front. He had me do a zero calibration in accordance to the manual (pushing one button 10 time and another 10 times in rapid secession. The system supposely will remember the new level as leveled when doing a auto level. I haven't tried it, for we are still at a campsite. I check it again and it was 0.00 and 0.00. LCI tech was fantastic. The issues I had was that the height from the top of the bottom step to the ground was 14.5" and one of six of the levelers was not touching the ground hard (I could rotate the foot). After the recall, the height was 13.5" and all feet were hard on ground. From what I understand, the unit rides high, so I will have to get a step up in the future. What are other Sanibel owner having for their bottom step to ground height?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

We had a problem with the pantry door opening while underway. Called PTM, they send a lock that is used on the Sanibel. Can a Sanibel owner please take a picture so I can see where PTM places the lock on the pantry door.

Be careful the auto level system does not raise the coach to the point the wheels come off the ground. If the wheels come off the ground, the top spring perch on the equalizer can flip down and you will have a problem.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
We had a problem with the pantry door opening while underway. Called PTM, they send a lock that is used on the Sanibel. Can a Sanibel owner please take a picture so I can see where PTM places the lock on the pantry door.
You can see it quite well on page 4 of this brochure.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #7

Here is a photo of the pantry door with the locking device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 10-14-13 at 7.14 PM.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	41125  
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #8

Sanibel 3500 Dumping Tanks

This 3 week shakedown is really worth the time. Today the blackwater tank required dumping, So I dumped the blackwater tank first and noticed a good strong flow through the outlet hose, then I dumped the galley tank (3/4 full), which also had a good flow. I then dumped the grey water tank (3/4 full), which did not have a good strong flow as the other two tanks. It did empty after a while. Is this normal for the 3500? I did flush the black tank after it was empty. Not sure if I did it correct. I left the black tank valve open and connected a water hose to the black tank flush connection and let it run for about 5 minutes. Is this the best method for the flush? Didn't see any instructions for it in the owners manual.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

On mine I see pretty much the same flow from all three. Either there's something blocking the slow tank (like the cutout they made for the hole in the tank) or the valve isn't opening all the way. I'd have the dealer check that.

If you don't already have one, you need the clear plastic elbow at the outlet of your dump pipe (that then connects to the hose) so that you can see the effluent. Flush until it looks good. It usually takes about 20-30 minutes in mine, but I probably wouldn't be an thorough until the last dump of the trip.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #10

I did not order the level up system due to weight, as Iam pulling it with a 2500 dodge diesel and am pushing the max weight.
The doors you need to watch are rear side of kitchen upper, you cannot see them when opening slide. I put double magnets on them, Barry puts Velcro strips (better idea). I have ruined one door. Do you have the corion top for your stove? if so do not store them in the slot when moving, it will scratch them.
Some of the management team at Prime time moved over from Keystone (Montana) to primetime. They were able to design a rv with the user in mind. I think they did a great job. Enjoy yours.
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #11

Thanks for the tip on the corian stove top covers. As for the kitchen cabinets, the ones on ours close pretty secure. I will use Barry's idea with the velcro for added security. Any more tips would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #12

There are still drawers in the kitchen that I haven't yet added a method to Velcro.

I still, to this day, always open the large slide first where I can walk to where I can verify with a flashlight that all drawers and cabinets are closed before I change the valves and allow the other slides to open.

Although I know that a lot of the problem was that the latch wasn't installed properly, replacing one cabinet door that was eaten by a slide was all I care to do.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #13

BBBlue
I owe you a beverage if we ever happen to meet. After reading your post, I went out and checked the drain on my refer. Mine too was tucked up into the inner space. I was able to easily pull it down and poke it through a vent hole to the outside world. It had some water in it, but not a tremendous amount. Someone needs to let Prime Time know as this is obviously an installation failure on the production line. I'm glad I caught it and fixed it. Thanks to you!!!
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #14

Day 10 of our 3 week shake down of our 2013 Sanibel. After having a slow drain from dumping the grey tank, I decided to loosen some of the fasteners to the corrugated bottom of the unit. As soon as one side was loose, approximately 1-2 quarts of water came on top of me. I haven't noticed any wet spots under the unit in the last 10 days and am wondering where the water came from. I noticed two tanks next to each other. One of the tanks had support straps under it in a X (front tank) and the 2nd tank from the front of the unit did not have any support straps under it. I ran water in the shower, bathroom sink and did not see any leaks. I also duplicated dumping and flushing the blackwater tank and still no visible leaks. I will keep the bottom panel down for a couple of days to see if any water accumulates. Maybe from the rain??? It was raining when we transported the unit from Va to the campsite here in Cherry Point NC. I couldn't find the actual dump valve for the tanks. I will look again, for I was a little shocked to find the accumulation of water and lack of support straps on the one tank.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #15

There is an access panel right next to your convenience center (in the basement). I found that the drain fittings were loose below the shower p-trap in there, and I believe there's a wiring hole right below it. I would try checking that. I've also seen water coming out of the bottom enclosure after driving in the rain however.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #16

I have noticed that water was coming out of the corrugated side opening in the cover. I am feeling toward confident that due to the corrugated design of the bottom cover, water will enter however slight. I will check that fitting from the p trap. Is that accessible through the first access panel (smaller) on the drivers side basement or is it the larger center panel?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #17

Popcorn- ice cold unsweetened ice tea. Glad you found your drain hose. I have notified Prime Time of my findings. Did get a reply apologizing for the missing condensate drain. I am finding PT very responsive.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBlue View Post
Is that accessible through the first access panel (smaller) on the drivers side basement or is it the larger center panel?
Small panel.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #19

All nice and tight with no obvious signs of leakage. Moving on to the fireplace. The operating manual shows a remote control for the fireplace. I don't have one in this unit. I will add this to my punch list for the dealer.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #20

PTM isn't sending them out anymore. You may or may not be able to get one. (I don't need another remote thank you! ;-) )

Tags
2013, sanibel