Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #1

2014 crusader 295 te likes dislikes,first impression

we picked the unit up on 02 /08 /2014 sense that time weather has not permited a shakedown cruise.but it is kept pluged up and under cover at the house . First impression lights everywhere except for where you really need one over the stove and sink area i guess they think that little light in the exaust vent over the stove is enough. All of the switches are conveniently located except for the bed room light switch which is on the far side of the bed room . So you either go through the bathroom to access the switch or go down the hall and through the bedroom in the dark to access the switch.
I have already fixed a few issues myself #1 the range hood was crooked screw on rt side missed support brace relocated screw.#2 molding at the top of the wall was loose and sagging on both sides about a 4 foot section electric brad nailer did the trick. The fridge is what they call automatic. It switches itself from gas & electric but has no manuel setting for either. nor can you set the temp in the fridge or the freezer. I did put a 6 pack in the fridge they got pretty cold but not ice cream cold the way i like them. Over all we really love this unit can't wait till this crazy tn weather decides that it is spring time so we can go camping. Ps we trade our 27' gulf stream tt with only a sofa slide for this unit. It is like going from a pup tent to the suites at the hilton . Will post results of shakedown cruise when weather breakes.
Happy camping everyone , thanks sportsman
sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

2014 crusader 295 te likes dislikes,first impression

I'm with you in the same boat. I bought my crusader 315 in December which is almost same floor plan as your but slightly longer and the bed is in a slider vs your wardrobe. I've been looking and drooling at it until the first trip. Weather here just won't give up. We do have a 3 pendant light setup over our sink/island so no complaint there from us. And our bedroom switch is convient too. My complaint is no area for the trash can. But that's it so far. Anywho Goodluck with the rig.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Where are your bedroom light switches? We have a 2014 295RST-TE & we don't have a light switch in the bedroom? We have to reach up to the ceiling light over the bed to turn it on. Do you both have the LED lighting package?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #4

I have the touring edition with leds
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
I'm with you in the same boat. I bought my crusader 315 in December which is almost same floor plan as your but slightly longer and the bed is in a slider vs your wardrobe. I've been looking and drooling at it until the first trip. Weather here just won't give up. We do have a 3 pendant light setup over our sink/island so no complaint there from us. And our bedroom switch is convient too. My complaint is no area for the trash can. But that's it so far. Anywho Goodluck with the rig.
Trash can? I moved the small false wall under the sink back several inches to gain more storage. We put the trash can under the sink now.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #6

bedroom light switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post
Where are your bedroom light switches? We have a 2014 295RST-TE & we don't have a light switch in the bedroom? We have to reach up to the ceiling light over the bed to turn it on. Do you both have the LED lighting package?

the one light switch that we have for the bed room is on the wall that seperates the bedroom from the bathroom. it is under the space for the tv to mount on the wall . the light itself is just forward of the celing vent tn the bedroom. ours also has the led light package and the touring package and the champaign edition.
sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #7

In our 295RST TE there is no wall light switch. The overhead lights have to be switched off and on at the fixture. Doesn't really bother me all that much since the ceiling fixture is not used all that much, we tend to use the overhead lights right above the bed.

I would remove the little metal 'clips' that affix the curtains in the bedroom along the bottom as sooner or later you'll hit up against them and just rip them out of the wall. After one got torn out I removed the other and let the curtains just hang which works fine.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #8

Our 2014 325RES has no bedroom light wall switch either - its an early 14 and the later ones have some other changes too - always happens when the model yrs change over ....i agree it is not convenient to reach up to the ceiling for the light switch
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #9

I knocked the curtain rod loose to the first time making the bed also....design flaw
Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #10

We use a small lamp on the bedside table. Agree something better over the island needed. We are planning to add a drop light similar to what the bigger units have. Cut out and finished the edge of the shelf under the island for garbage can. All units need small fixes and mods to get them perfect for you.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #11

We have the fancy pendant lights over island but no room for bedside lamp..maybe someday they will combine all the good points from units and make one perfect one 😉
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
In our 295RST TE there is no wall light switch. The overhead lights have to be switched off and on at the fixture. Doesn't really bother me all that much since the ceiling fixture is not used all that much, we tend to use the overhead lights right above the bed.

I would remove the little metal 'clips' that affix the curtains in the bedroom along the bottom as sooner or later you'll hit up against them and just rip them out of the wall. After one got torn out I removed the other and let the curtains just hang which works fine.

Good idea about the curtain clips because I've hot my hip on those more than once and got a nice bruise!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
We use a small lamp on the bedside table. Agree something better over the island needed. We are planning to add a drop light similar to what the bigger units have. Cut out and finished the edge of the shelf under the island for garbage can. All units need small fixes and mods to get them perfect for you.

We are replacing the light over the island with a light weight pendant light too! Working on that right now.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #14

To the op the fridge will be on gas if you turn off the auto switch (light off). To adjust fridge temp there is a slider on the fin of the big heat sink at the back of the top shelf. Slide up for more cold and down for less. Also a small batt powered fan helps cool down faster (most Rv places sell these) as does keeping things away from the wall so air can circulate.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #15

I'd love to see the replacement light ideas for over the island. My wife would love more light in that area.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 03-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
We have the fancy pendant lights over island but no room for bedside lamp..maybe someday they will combine all the good points from units and make one perfect one 😉

I see the big brother sanibel a have a bedside shelf in them. My wife takes water to bed and has no where to put it. That's another complaint
Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #17

Lights over sink
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...ckel-18-/68393
Old 03-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Our 2014 325RES has no bedroom light wall switch either - its an early 14 and the later ones have some other changes too - always happens when the model yrs change over ....i agree it is not convenient to reach up to the ceiling for the light switch
I believe My 325 Res has a light switch on the bathroom wall inside the bedroom... weird. My biggest complaint is no AM/FM antenna on the roof. Absolutely terrible reception. The antenna for the radio in the sound bar is rolled up inside the entertainment center cabinet.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
I see the big brother sanibel a have a bedside shelf in them. My wife takes water to bed and has no where to put it. That's another complaint
When we shopped units that was a deal breaker for the her.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #20

Have you installed them yet? I'd be keen to see how they retrofit in place of the existing fixtures.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD

Tags
295, crusader