Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
Stupid Lucky

2014 Primetime Crusader 325RES auto levelers

Most of the time when we use our auto levelers it won't level until the wheels are off the ground. Somebody told me to lower the front end prior to engaging the levelers and that did not work either. Are others having this issue? I am interested in suggestions/solutions as this is frustrating.
Sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
Most of the time when we use our auto levelers it won't level until the wheels are off the ground. Somebody told me to lower the front end prior to engaging the levelers and that did not work either. Are others having this issue? I am interested in suggestions/solutions as this is frustrating.

You may have to try recalibrating the system but, AFTER you manually level the unit.

Find a place that is already relatively level like a parking lot or flat driveway. Level the unit using a 2' or longer level (I put the level on the floor at the entry door). Level front to rear them left to right.

With someone helping (watching the level) go through the process above. Once the unit is level, turn the leveling system off. Now push the "right" button 10 times then the "left" button 10 times (this must take place in 10 seconds or less). The system will then turn itself on & read "checking level calibration" (or something like that). Then it will beep and say "press enter to set calibration" (or similar), the unit will then turn itself off.......and you should be all set.

Hope this helps........hope it works.......
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

Try dropping the front jacks about 9 or ten holes before engaging (I also have 2" thick pads). I found that number of holes on the front works well for me on relatively level sites.

Now I make small adjustments based on site level, but tires never come off the ground.

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Stupid Lucky

Thanks and I will do this once we bring our 5er out of winter storage. This will save me some aggravation if it works.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Stupid Lucky

Someone else told me to try lowering my front end prior to autoleveling and so I tried that last summer and still ran into instances of wheels coming off the ground. Sad thing is we camp mostly in central Ohio where the land is flat so we were not too much out of level from the start.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

We were having that same problem until we started putting our front jacks around the 12th hole, raising up the front to unhook from the pick-up, then we lower our 325res to level..just using our eyes..drop the back jacks down (usually around the 8th hole) and push the auto level. The wheels have not came off the ground since we started doing this. Doing the eye...leveling..the wheels are on the ground and the jacks don't have to move too much to get perfectly level. Hope this helps you. Remember the holes we put our's in may not be perfect for you, but they work great for the camp site we stay in.
Happy camping!!!
travelingnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

I suggest you try to experiment a bit with it. I know it's not always convenient, but it will pay off in the end. As far as I am concerned, the system was built to lift the trailer off the truck, then level, then re-set height for hooking back up.

My only 'adjustment' to the automatic procedure is to raise the trailer an inch or so higher after 'drop front jacks' has ended it's cycle before pressing auto level (of course removing the truck). I have found that it does not return quite high enough when we are hooking back up (probably because the truck has 'sprung back' a bit).

After unhooking, I push 'auto level' and by the time it has lowered the front all the way down, I have hooked up my power and sewer. I throw my rear blocks under when they start to drop ( dropping the pins 3-4 holes), and then hook up the water while it levels.

By the time it's done I'm pretty much ready to run the slides out.

I should note I have the 351REQ, so that might make a difference on hole numbers, but do keep trying, it took me a bit (and a few lifted tires) to get it working. I also still struggle a bit mentally when I am on a really uneven site and the tires lift, but I keep fussing until they don't.

Keep working with it!! It was designed to work automatically!

Old 12-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #8

We purchased our first RV this past June and not a clue to camping. Our first attempt to use the auto level we had wheels off the ground. We thought that can't be right. We had a DVD with instructions on using the electric leveling system. There is also instructions on the control panel. We also have the manual. Problem was that all three were different. I decided to follow the manual.

My problem was that I lowered the front inner jacks all the way to the ground and then raised the FW off the hitch and then lowered the rear inner jacks all the way to the ground.
The front jacks were high and not able to lower because the inner jacks were lowered too far. When I hit auto level the rear jacks had to raise to level with the front thus causing wheels to come off the ground.

The manual stated to lower the inner jacks in the front 4 or 5 inches and lower the rear 3 or 4 inches. I lower all about 4 inches.

When I used the auto level I got an error message indicating "out of stock". Scratched my head trying to figure out what that meant. Walked around the FW and noticed one of the rear jacks was off the ground. I raised the rear jacks and placed a 6x6 block of wood under each rear jack. That solved the problem. No wheels off the ground didn't have to climb up the steps to get in the RV.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
When I used the auto level I got an error message indicating "out of stock". Scratched my head trying to figure out what that meant. .
I believe it is 'out of stroke'

Old 12-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigpdx View Post
I believe it is 'out of stroke'

X2
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #11

I'm new to using the auto levelers so watching this to learn more. First time I used these, I lifted the RV off the ground or have the levelers error out for stroke. I've played around with mine several times over the past few months and have found for me, it works best to manually drop the RV after you unhook to as close to level as I can. After this point, if I hit auto level, it finds it pretty quick with out problems. It seems to me if you hit auto level after you first unhook, the system doesn't know how high the front of the camper is so it compensates by raising the rear which lifts it off the ground. Even side to side, if it's way off, I will use boards to get it close, otherwise it will lift the tires off.

Like I said, this is all new to me as well. Just passing on what I've learned but watching to learn more as this might not be right either. It just works for me.
Danimal04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #12

I have a 4 point system. I lower the inner jacks about 4" on all four. I drop down the front jacks. I place a 6x6 piece of wood under each rear jack and manually lower the rear jacks until the are one the block of wood under them. I then push the auto level and when it is finished all is fine.

Duane & Jan
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
2011 Toyota Tundra iForce 5.7 Limited Double Cab 6 speed automatic 4.10 gears
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, crusader