Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

2015 Crusader 294 16" spare tire mount beware

What were they thinking? The 16" spare hangs a good 9-10" below the rear bumper. Guess what happens when you pull in to a fuel stop here in the Texas hill country with a slight grade at the entrance culvert? You tear it off and bend the tar out of the mount. Thought first time was a fluke after I beat it back in to shape at a truck stop with a big hammer and remounted the tire, second time I put the dang spare in the basement. Will get after this flippin' stupid design Thursday and weld an extension to raise the spare to a reasonable and logical height. PT mounted it low at this height so it would not block access to the 50 amp service which is dead center below back window, but could have raised and moved it to the left or right. It would have been off center but would not be a dragging hazard. I also picked up a set of steel rollers I will weld to the rear frame in the event I get to a really deep culvert entrance. Just a heads up to you guys coming home with one of these.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planostu View Post
What were they thinking? The 16" spare hangs a good 9-10" below the rear bumper. Guess what happens when you pull in to a fuel stop here in the Texas hill country with a slight grade at the entrance culvert? You tear it off and bend the tar out of the mount. Thought first time was a fluke after I beat it back in to shape at a truck stop with a big hammer and remounted the tire, second time I put the dang spare in the basement. Will get after this flippin' stupid design Thursday and weld an extension to raise the spare to a reasonable and logical height. PT mounted it low at this height so it would not block access to the 50 amp service which is dead center below back window, but could have raised and moved it to the left or right. It would have been off center but would not be a dragging hazard. I also picked up a set of steel rollers I will weld to the rear frame in the event I get to a really deep culvert entrance. Just a heads up to you guys coming home with one of these.

I've tore mine up a little coming up my driveway. Even on my last TT I did the same thing. Post some pics when u get finished with your mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
William

Ive tore mine off of my 320. I now keep it in the front compartment. Fits tight behind the landing gear drive shaft.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
Ive tore mine off of my 320. I now keep it in the front compartment. Fits tight behind the landing gear drive shaft.
X2 for my 295RST
2013 4WD RAM 3500 Cummins TD SBCC
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planostu View Post

Just a word of wisdom. I checked into adding a hitch to the rear of my Sanibel 3250. Went to the dealer and got a price but told them to check w/Prime Time first. Dealer then came back and said if they attach or weld anything to the frame, it voids the warranty. If I wanted a hitch, I would have to take it directly to Lippert and their techs would be the only ones allowed to attach/modify/weld on their frames without voiding the warranty.

So, do not weld on the frame without checking with Lippert.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
William

How long is the frame warranty? Everyone preaches that but is longer than the standard warranty? I put a hitch on ours to pull a light trailer.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #7

Spare Tire Modification

I had the same problem with the spare on my 290RLT. But my 50amp is on the side of the trailer so that negates the theory on why they mounted it so low.
Made a modification to mine described below that is working out really well.

There is a 6" square plate welded to the bottom of a 2" tube. The square plate is attached to the bumper with 2 U bolts. I used a grinder to cut the welds holding the plate to the tube in order to remove the plate from the tube. I purchased a 12" long trailer hitch receiver tube from Harbor Freight. The original 2" tube fits perfectly inside the new receiver tube purchased. Then drilled one 5/8" hole completely thru the new receiver tube and several 5/8" holes in the original 2" tube at varying heights. The 6" square plate was then welded on to the new receiver tube purchased. After bolting the plate and new receiver tube onto the bumper, the original 2" tube can be inserted into the new receiver tube and raised or lowered to the desired height and a 5/8" hitch pin can be inserted into the proper hole. I used a locking hitch pin to prevent the tire from be stolen. Providing a picture but it might not show enough detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sparetire.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	56967  
Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaderguy View Post
I had the same problem with the spare on my 290RLT. But my 50amp is on the side of the trailer so that negates the theory on why they mounted it so low.

Made a modification to mine described below that is working out really well.

There is a 6" square plate welded to the bottom of a 2" tube. The square plate is attached to the bumper with 2 U bolts. I used a grinder to cut the welds holding the plate to the tube in order to remove the plate from the tube. I purchased a 12" long trailer hitch receiver tube from Harbor Freight. The original 2" tube fits perfectly inside the new receiver tube purchased. Then drilled one 5/8" hole completely thru the new receiver tube and several 5/8" holes in the original 2" tube at varying heights. The 6" square plate was then welded on to the new receiver tube purchased. After bolting the plate and new receiver tube onto the bumper, the original 2" tube can be inserted into the new receiver tube and raised or lowered to the desired height and a 5/8" hitch pin can be inserted into the proper hole. I used a locking hitch pin to prevent the tire from be stolen. Providing a picture but it might not show enough detail.

Nice work crusaderguy!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #9

Very nice idea. I may go that route for the spare. I have to weld rollers to the frame on mine regardless or I won't have a bumper left or a spare to worry about. The ramp to back the trailer in to my warehouse where I store it will scrape this low clearance bumper off after a few more in/outs. Wasn't a problem on my Sydney 5er but I was also using a F250 last year with a lower bed than these new Rams have. I like the receiver idea.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Just a word of wisdom. I checked into adding a hitch to the rear of my Sanibel 3250. Went to the dealer and got a price but told them to check w/Prime Time first. Dealer then came back and said if they attach or weld anything to the frame, it voids the warranty. If I wanted a hitch, I would have to take it directly to Lippert and their techs would be the only ones allowed to attach/modify/weld on their frames without voiding the warranty.

So, do not weld on the frame without checking with Lippert.
Legal mumbo- jumbo, they would have to prove that your welding or alteration caused the failure of the frame, for example you have a bracket welded on to the A frame for a sway control bar three days later the rear bumper falls off. It has to make sense because even a small claims court will see trough the nonsense.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader, mount, tire