Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 02:15 AM   #1

Question 2018 330RST Lacrosse staples "popping out " EVERYWHERE.

Need opinions/help please! We bought our 2018 330RST Lacrosse in June. There are staples "popping out " EVERYWHERE. Is this normal? We are total noobs. I had hoped to avoid major issues by purchasing new. Boy have I learned my lesson. I understand a certain amount of issues are to be expected, just by reading the forum. When I say everywhere, I mean all along the slide outs interior framing , on the island's framework etc. I would know what to do if this were a home (I know how to deal with nail pops). This is really upsetting to me. I'm scared we have paid alot of money for something that will be falling apart. Am I being overly dramatic? We are still under warranty. I just need to know how hard core I should get with my dealer. Thanks for any help and advice.
VBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #2
Site Team

We had staples popping up in the carpeting that I just tapped back down.
We also have one in the ceiling of the bathroom that I've done nothing with yet.

If you could you post some pics others may have idea's on a fix .

Have you contacted Prime time?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #3

We had a similar experience as Platokidd did after buying our Sanibel new. While it was dissappointing to discover these flaws we did take care of this ourselves and made sure to provide our negative feedback to the dealership! Regretably, another example of poor / rushed workmanship for a product that we have paid a considerable amount for!
dreamer5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #4

It would be advisable to get your coach to the dealer and ensure this problem is "on record" while the warranty is still in effect, especially in the event you must escalate to the manufacturer. If this quality problem persists, or gets worse, you have recourse as long as there is a warranty paper trail showing you followed all the proper steps involving your dealer. Fixing things yourself is something we all do owning these things. However, your dealer needs to do the fixes while under warranty. It is not the dealer's fault the manufacturer did a poor job. How responsive the dealer is to helping you should determine how "hard core" you need to get. Good luck.

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

I would echo RockyMtnMarty's advice. Good luck!
dreamer5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer5th View Post
I would echo RockyMtnMarty's advice. Good luck!
Yep good advise since its "EVERYWHERE". I would also contact prime time and let them know. Dealers like to play games that I normally lose at.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #7

While checking the roof caulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBrown View Post
Need opinions/help please! We bought our 2018 330RST Lacrosse in June. There are staples "popping out " EVERYWHERE. Is this normal? We are total noobs. I had hoped to avoid major issues by purchasing new. Boy have I learned my lesson. I understand a certain amount of issues are to be expected, just by reading the forum. When I say everywhere, I mean all along the slide outs interior framing , on the island's framework etc. I would know what to do if this were a home (I know how to deal with nail pops). This is really upsetting to me. I'm scared we have paid alot of money for something that will be falling apart. Am I being overly dramatic? We are still under warranty. I just need to know how hard core I should get with my dealer. Thanks for any help and advice.
Be absolutely:: certain that you know the fact that the 10 year warranty on the roof is the material only. Not the caulking and seams . After the first year it is totally your responsibility to inspect the roof seams and caulking every 60 days . When I inspected our 2018-- 241 QB Xl lite we discovered staples protruding up and through the rubber roofing membrane. please take the time to inspect before your 1 year anniversary passes.
brubaker57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

VBrown, just a thought, but the manufacturer's installer may have used the wrong staples. Definitely take this issue to the dealer, asking for help. Take pictures that can be identified as coming from your model trailer (For reference, put a piece of tape next to a popped staple. Take a close up that shows the tape and staple popped. Take a distant picture that shows the tape and staple popped, plus a window or other feature of your trailer.)

If the wrong staples were used, just tapping them back in place may not be a solution.

Ask the dealer to verify with the mfg. that the "correct" staples were used.

What is a "correct" staple?

Staples come in different materials, with different coatings (plain, resin coated, galvanized), and different shapes and sizes. Each coating and size is used for a particular application.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #9

Some good advice here for you. In addition to all of that, when you contact PT, email them the pics and save the email (copy yourself) and save records of all correspondence and phone calls. PT is pretty good about things and they will usually help you out.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #10

RockyMtnMarty has the best advice, contact the manufacturer customer service first with serial number, then the dealer. Why would you or me pay $20.000.00 that's falling apart in less than a year. Anyone who feels this is a normal is doing the rest of us a disservice. If the trim is failing, think what else can go wrong, plumbing, electrical and heat/AC a couple miles from home. Maybe the warranty should guaranteed to be a fixer upper after dealer prep.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #11

This is normal. You are in for a ride. Buckle up.

Note, normal but NOT acceptable.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #12

We have a 2013 Rockwood and had stables popping out went to the Int. Frog rally in 2016 and the techs came out and stabled all up and down the affected molding. By the time we got back to California the new stables were popping out. So I decided to fix myself. What I did was pull the stables out and take super glue to each tip and push them back in and tap the ones that were a little tuff that did the trick. We completed 3 months going cross country and back home. Checked all the stables when we brought our tt Back to storage lot and not one stable was popped. My advice fix yourself with super glue and you won't have worry about those stables popping out again.

2013 2608ws
2013 Ram 4x4 mega cab 5.7 Hemi
Msgt US Air Force retired
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
We had staples popping up in the carpeting that I just tapped back down.
We also have one in the ceiling of the bathroom that I've done nothing with yet.

If you could you post some pics others may have idea's on a fix .

Have you contacted Prime time?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180114_215952.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	160192Click image for larger version

Name:	20180114_215757.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	160193

These are the best shots I have for now. It's basically everywhere trim was attached. These were taken a couple of months ago and I think the ones that hadn't moved at the time, changed their mind. No I haven't contacted PT as of yet. I am planning on making the trip to the dealer (issues with the fridge) and get them to do a walk through with me.

Thanks for all the great advise. I've learned so much on this forum. I intend to do exactly what's been recommended: verify the staples used and go from there. I have hopes that my dealership, Three Way Campers can help. If not, I will take the next step up and contact PT.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Barb View Post
We have a 2013 Rockwood and had stables popping out went to the Int. Frog rally in 2016 and the techs came out and stabled all up and down the affected molding. By the time we got back to California the new stables were popping out. So I decided to fix myself. What I did was pull the stables out and take super glue to each tip and push them back in and tap the ones that were a little tuff that did the trick. We completed 3 months going cross country and back home. Checked all the stables when we brought our tt Back to storage lot and not one stable was popped. My advice fix yourself with super glue and you won't have worry about those stables popping out again.

2013 2608ws
2013 Ram 4x4 mega cab 5.7 Hemi
Msgt US Air Force retired
That's a great idea. And one I will take once I'm out of my warranty. I had already let the dealer know of this issue. I think the service guys needed glasses bc a few were fixed and the rest not. THIS time I will be walking thru the whole darn trailer. I swear I used a whole roll of painters tape marking those things. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, just someone with some sense. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2018, 05:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMarty View Post
It would be advisable to get your coach to the dealer and ensure this problem is "on record" while the warranty is still in effect, especially in the event you must escalate to the manufacturer. If this quality problem persists, or gets worse, you have recourse as long as there is a warranty paper trail showing you followed all the proper steps involving your dealer. Fixing things yourself is something we all do owning these things. However, your dealer needs to do the fixes while under warranty. It is not the dealer's fault the manufacturer did a poor job. How responsive the dealer is to helping you should determine how "hard core" you need to get. Good luck.
X2. The staples popping are evidence of the frame Flexing. This is not normal and NOT good. It could be an indication that he aluminum frame is not adequately connected to the rest of the camper.

Take it to dealer, provide a Written explanation of the problem and have them sign a copy for you acknowledging their receipt of the document.

I know this sounds harsh but you need to document this issue now in case the problem becomes protracted in order to protect your rights under the warranty you have.

They will not be anxious to just brush you off once they realize you are setting up for a legal confrontation should they not take care of the problem correctly.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #16

That seems to be the Indiana way !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #17

Not sure which state you bought it in but there are “Lemon Laws” for RVs
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdemeyer1 View Post
Not sure which state you bought it in but there are “Lemon Laws” for RVs
Georgia
Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
X2. The staples popping are evidence of the frame Flexing. This is not normal and NOT good. It could be an indication that he aluminum frame is not adequately connected to the rest of the camper.

Take it to dealer, provide a Written explanation of the problem and have them sign a copy for you acknowledging their receipt of the document.

I know this sounds harsh but you need to document this issue now in case the problem becomes protracted in order to protect your rights under the warranty you have.

They will not be anxious to just brush you off once they realize you are setting up for a legal confrontation should they not take care of the problem correctly.
That is honestly what I was thinking, since it is so rampant. And oh boy, wouldn't that be fun. If it were, what would be my recourse? Just like a car, I wouldn't buy one that had a bent frame or one that had once been bent.
Thank you!!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #20
Newly Retired

Inspect roof too!

When I looked closely, and I mean, very closely, at the caulk job of my roof, I was shocked. Strips of sealer that missed their mark compleatly.
Get on all four in good lighting. Water intrusion is very bad and since you are going back to the dealer anyway. Might as well check. Maybe they will tape all your seams. I had delamination beginning on my 2016.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lacrosse