Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
290RLT with 06 Ram Diesel

Question 2nd A/C in 290RLT (or any 5W)?

Got my 290RLT last fall and was wondering if anyone had put a 2nd AC in this unit (or others). I don't think my unit(2011) is wired for a 2nd AC. I read in one thread that RVGUY said the bedroom vent was reinforced to hold the unit. I am not wanting to rewire the whole RV for 50amp, just wire the 2nd AC to a 20amp outlet. At the RV site just plug the RV into the normal 30amp socket and then the 2nd AC into the 110/20amp plug when needed. Any thoughts or experiences here?
The 15K AC is a good one but when it gets hot (95+), thats asking a lot out of that unit!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How do you plan on running cord ?
It would have to run out into the living area of camper.
Then run it out a window?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #3

Actually I thought the wiring could be ran through the ceiling and wall to an outlet mounted on the outside on same side as the 30amp or an outlet in the pass-through. Then could fish the cord out the some same hole that the water and cable wires feed through in the docking area.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Although I like your suggestion I tend to think it will be very difficult
With foam an insulation in the ceiling and walls.
What your suggesting could be done but how easy?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #5

I'm currently doing this project as well. I have my high voltage wire run and will be installing a 20 AMP connector on the exterior of the trailer with it's own sub-panel with 20 amp breaker. My system will not be ducted but will be controlled by the existing thermostat. If I do not have access to the 20 amp connection at the pedestal, the 2nd a/c simply will not work. If you are mechnically inclined and have an understanding of the electrical requirements of this project, don't let anyone talk you out of doing it.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #6

Any thoughts on a lightweight portable in non-humid heat for cooling down the bedroom as a cheaper alternative????? Anyone tried one of these? Sunpentown SF608R Sunpentown SF608R Evaporative Air Cooler with Humidifier, 3 Speed Fan and Timer

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 18,950 Nights camped 192
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

I was thinking about doing this on my park model in our bedroom. I have one 15k, but have a feeling it will struggle when it is really hot on a 42 footer. My camper does have 50 amp service but it is not pre-wired for ac that I can tell. I have not pulled the roof vent apart. I figured there would be a sticker on the ceiling saying it was pre wired like my old camper had. Luckily the roof vent Is close enough to my closet I think I can run the wire in conduit along my ceiling into the closet, down the wall, through the floor, under my camper over to where my breaker panel is. My neighbor is an electrician and looked it over and thought this would work fine. My question is about the roof vent. I was talking to the Salem dealer about the it being reinforced for an ac unit and they said that they install them all time and that should not be a concern with weight. The unit only weighs 100 pounds. I am not sure if I buy this.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies........those of you that do get your project going please post some pictures and details.

And I have heard that most all roof vents are very well reinforced.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

I had the second A/C installed when I bought my unit (345 RET) and I will never have a another unit without it. Mine is not ducted just blows in the MB but on the really hot days it is a must. When I am setting up the first thing I will do is plug up the power and turn both units on wide open and when I'm done setting everything up it is already cooled out for the most part.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #10

mblanks2 Please post some pics of what you are doing.. I am fixing to do the same thing.

2011 Cursader 298 BHD
2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Power Stroke
B&W Companion Hitch
Days Reserved for 2012: 39
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
290rlt