Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #1

2nd AC install

We are at the FROG rally in Goshen IN. this week and got a great price on a 2nd AC for the bedroom. Only to find out that due to a factory defect in this model the hole for the prewired AC is too close to the wall so the shroud wont fit. The tech says we need about 63/4" clearance and we only have 6". Needless to say we are quite upset over this as the prewired 2nd AC was one of the reasons we bough this particular model. Is anyone aware of this issue.

2018 crusader light 295RST fifth wheel.

FYI. We are waiting for forest river to get back to us on how to make this right.
douggow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggow View Post
We are at the FROG rally in Goshen IN. this week and got a great price on a 2nd AC for the bedroom. Only to find out that due to a factory defect in this model the hole for the prewired AC is too close to the wall so the shroud wont fit. The tech says we need about 63/4" clearance and we only have 6". Needless to say we are quite upset over this as the prewired 2nd AC was one of the reasons we bough this particular model. Is anyone aware of this issue.

2018 crusader light 295RST fifth wheel.

FYI. We are waiting for forest river to get back to us on how to make this right.

Haven't heard of that issue before. If you're positive "they" said it's a factory defect? If so, I would wait to see if they will make it right and get you that second A/C installed. If the pre-wiring is already there then their intent was to make it possible for the second A/C. They may have you stay after the rally (if you can) and send you to one of their authorized repair facilities to have it taken care of. That's what they did 4 years ago for some slide & A/C issues we had. Don't let then say it can't be done.....they made the mistake.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Site Team

I'm not sure I'd call that a factory defect. The vent fan fits just fine.
You don't say which A/C or ADB (Air Distribution Box) you have, but they make A/C's with smaller ADB's than others, so maybe it's just the particular unit you got that won't fit.

Tell us which units you have and maybe we can come up with some suggestions on how to get it to fit.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Have you looked at different models/brands of A/C's for different space requirements? They can't all be the same measurements, and 3/4" doesn't seem to be an insurmountable problem.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #5

Personally, I'd enlarge the 14"x14" hole in the roof 3/4" in the proper direction and then fill the gap on the other side. I'd call it an "unfortunate blueprint error", but the hole probably ended up where it was supposed to.
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #6

Can you take your 'great price' a/c back to the rally vendor and perhaps exchange the unit after you explain the problem? Bet they will help you find a solution.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I'm not sure I'd call that a factory defect. The vent fan fits just fine.
You don't say which A/C or ADB (Air Distribution Box) you have, but they make A/C's with smaller ADB's than others, so maybe it's just the particular unit you got that won't fit.

Tell us which units you have and maybe we can come up with some suggestions on how to get it to fit.
In my mind, if all the units come down the same assembly line, pre-cut, drilled & wired to accept either a roof vent or A/C unit (and many are pre-ordered for second A/C's) then an A/C unit should drop right in. The way I see it, someone missed the mark on the roof pre-cut hence, their mistake. However, since you pointed it out, I now see it your way that maybe another model A/C unit might fit better.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #8

Thanks to all who commented. This was indeed a "factory issue" during production and it appears it was caught very early in the run and only affected a few units. We were fortunate to get one of those units. I will say that Forest River has stepped up and promised to make it right. We are having the unit looked at tomorrow for options.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks to all who commented. This was indeed a "factory issue" during production and it appears it was caught very early in the run and only affected a few units. We were fortunate to get one of those units. I will say that Forest River has stepped up and promised to make it right. We are having the unit looked at tomorrow for options.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

Forest River stepped up big time. They found a unit that would fit and installed the AC right on site this morning. Many thanks.to the folks at Prime Time.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #11

Congrats! Glad it worked out for you.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Forest River stepped up big time. They found a unit that would fit and installed the AC right on site this morning. Many thanks.to the folks at Prime Time.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #13

What brand and part numbers in case someone else has the same problem?
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote