Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
2nd air conditioner on 297RST

I ordered a Dometic a/c unit to install over the bedroom on my 2015 297RST but could not install it because the distance from the wall separating the bathroom & bedroom was too close. The air distribution/control box won't fit on the ceiling because it is too large. There is only 5.75 inches from the cutout to the wall. Anyone have ideas of which a/c manufacturer makes a smaller unit that will fit?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	297RSK1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	161248  
__________________

jcairns57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,018
Why not center the new AC over the bed? It would require you cutting to fit
__________________

__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
The hole is already factory cut & has an existing vent & is prewired for a/c.
jcairns57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,018
You best bet may be to contact the factory and ask what unit they install in that position, unless it was designed for a fan only installation.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
I already contacted them. The service rep said she couldnít recommend anyoneís a/c unit. Thanks
jcairns57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,766
I believe there is usually a size difference on the ceiling assembly air distribution panel between ducted and non-ducted. We used a low profile Penguin II ducted and the inside portion is fairly small. Might check out the dimensions on their webpage. Good luck!
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
Ya. The one I need will be non-ducted. Great. Thanks
jcairns57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcairns57 View Post
Ya. The one I need will be non-ducted. Great. Thanks
Just curious as to why non-ducted? In my limited experience (installed second a/c on two different units) the units that were pre-wired also had access to the duct system. Just had to remove blocker plate and/or insulation.
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
Iíll have to check. I didnít see a blocker plate in there when I took the vent out. Iíll double check tho. Thanks
jcairns57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,766
I have read that in some units, the 'duct' is just a gap in the hard foam insulation. Might check if your existing vents are attached to an actual duct or not.
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
Support from Forest River just returned my call. Itís gotta be a non-ducted unit.
jcairns57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have read that in some units, the 'duct' is just a gap in the hard foam insulation. Might check if your existing vents are attached to an actual duct or not.
I would say that in most units, the duct is just a channel in the ceiling and the the vents are only connected to the ceiling material itself. If you look at the vents, they are usually in a fairly straight line front to back. See what side of the hole the vents are on and knock out that block to access the channel. If you want to double check before knocking the block out, drill a hole in it, plug a few vents, and turn your existing ac fan on. You should feel the air.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcairns57 View Post
Support from Forest River just returned my call. Itís gotta be a non-ducted unit.
Well dangit. It was worth a shot
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I would say that in most units, the duct is just a channel in the ceiling and the the vents are only connected to the ceiling material itself. If you look at the vents, they are usually in a fairly straight line front to back. See what side of the hole the vents are on and knock out that block to access the channel. If you want to double check before knocking the block out, drill a hole in it, plug a few vents, and turn your existing ac fan on. You should feel the air.
This is true however, there needs to be a "return air" duct running from side to side. Two return air vents then have to be cut into the ceiling just inside the 2 outer sidewalls at the ends of the return duct. To do this type of install correctly probably would require pulling ceiling panels down to install the return duct system & tie into the existing cold air outlet duct system.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
This is true however, there needs to be a "return air" duct running from side to side. Two return air vents then have to be cut into the ceiling just inside the 2 outer sidewalls at the ends of the return duct. To do this type of install correctly probably would require pulling ceiling panels down to install the return duct system & tie into the existing cold air outlet duct system.
Return air routed through 14" x 14" hole a/c and ceiling attachment (air distributor) is mounted to.
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
Thanks guys. Found a solution.
jcairns57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcairns57 View Post
Thanks guys. Found a solution.
Share solution please!
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Return air routed through 14" x 14" hole a/c and ceiling attachment (air distributor) is mounted to.
I concur!
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
Coleman Mach 3 with series 9000 ceiling air diverter/controller. Small enough to fit between wall & roof cutout.
jcairns57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:52 PM   #20
Casey & Carolyn
 
Casey r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Las Vegas Nv
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Just curious as to why non-ducted? In my limited experience (installed second a/c on two different units) the units that were pre-wired also had access to the duct system. Just had to remove blocker plate and/or insulation.
Scott
What did you do about a thermostat. I have not looked at the duct work but I did pull out the vent and I have 110 volts there no other wiring. I assumed since I did not see thermostat wiring it was not ducted. I did see thin pylwood on the side that would be closest to the ducting but did not remove it. Wanting to add second a/c.
__________________

__________________
Casey and Carolyn Rice
Las Vegas Nv
2017 Prime Time Crusader Lite 29 RS
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air conditioner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


×