Old 03-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

3 plus year assessment of Lacrosse 318

Well, after 3 plus years of ownership of our Lacrosse 318bhs I feel compelled to write an honest assessment of this Brand and unit, sadly it is not good.

We are occasional campers, maybe 4 to 5 times a year. We bought the trailer because we love the floor plan and read good things about Prime Time. One thing that hasn't changed is that we love the layout. We bought the unit new in November of 2011 as a 2012 model.

So here is how the trailer is holding up after only a little over 3 years:

1. The floor flexes like crazy, one spot in front of the fridge is so bad that if you are not paying attention it will cause you to lose balance. The floor flex was noticed in the first year, bracing was added to help. As it continually gets worse, there is not much we can do. Repairs are deemed impossible and not worth the resale of the trailer because it pretty much means an entire disassembly to fix it properly.

2. Mystery water leak. There is a water leak in the rear slide area the causes the in floor storage bin to fill with water. We have had our dealer look for it and they are at a loss. They have many theories, all of which have been proven wrong. As they say, we cant fix something that we don't know where it is. So, I am taking it to another dealer to see what they can find. I the mean time, the inside trim is swelling and coming apart and I am sure mold is crowing in areas I cant see as a result.

3. Delamination. We have a nice bubble on our rear slide also. Out of warranty, massively expensive repair to rebuild the rear slide.

4. A handful of other minor things, but items 1 thru 3 pretty much say it all.

Now, before a bunch of you start jumping all over me and making all this my fault please understand where I am coming from. I am posting this for two reasons.

1. For future buyers to consider these things and really examine the unit before signing the dotted line. Really walk the floor and pay attention to how it moves. We felt it early on and was told it was normal and thru a process of denial I guess, we let it go to long. If it feels excessive, pass on it and try another one. Look the exterior skin over very carefully, we noticed ours in the first year and was told it was a typical seam. If it looks wrong, it probably is. Pass on it, look at others. I am sure we are probably one of a few, but I doubt we are the only ones in this boat.

2. Are there other people out there experiencing these same issues.

And now, for all of you who will say, just get rid of it and get a new one.

1. Dealers will not take our unit in on trade with these issues, they deem the trailer "unsellable"

2. I could never sell this trailer to anyone with these problems.

So after three years of ownership, I have a worthless travel trailer that I get to make a monthly payment on and cant afford to fix properly.

There, I got it off my chest.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

We bought our 2013 Lacrosse 318bhs in 2012 new. Its sad to hear about all your issues. Ours has been nothing but great ... several 1000 miles and only the most minor issues.

But as many have said here before, its important to have a very good prebuy and walk away if anything doesn't seam right.

thanks for your honest assessment of your Lacrosse.

Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Sorry to hear of your problem with your lacrosse. Hope mine holds up better.

Would like to see some pics of your slide delam.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #4

Thankfully, A Totally Different Experience

Very Sorry for the experience you have had. That stinks when you make that kind of investment in what should be an enjoyable experience for you and your family and it turns out sour. And like others previously stated, thanks for writing an honest and valuable account of your experience so others can make a more informed decision on their purchase.

Having said that, I do want to relay our experience with the exact same product that has caused you so much grief so that other people can see, as with any man made product, there can be good and bad units.

We have a 2012 Lacrosse 318BHS that we absolutely love and has been really trouble free. In fact, I spend more time searching for little Mods to do, items to perform preventive maintenance on and cleaning it just to feel like I am doing something. I have not had what I considered the first issue with it that I wouldn't expect out of any brand RV that is used on a regular basis and travels up and down the highways getting beat around.

Sure, I have to tighten a screw here or there in a cabinet door hinge, but we have just been really blessed to have gotten a unit that so far has been trouble free. I am constantly thankful for that as I read of others troubles on many different brands of RVs, but never am I more thankful than when I read of a fellow Lacrosse owner who has had the unfortunate experience of getting a unit that apparently never should have left the factory.

Now we were not the original purchaser of our Lacrosse, we are the second owner, but I know the first owner well. They only used the unit six times before we got it and they did not have any major issues that had to be dealt with before we purchased it from them.

Even though we knew and trusted the previous owners we did go over the unit with a fine tooth comb before deciding to purchase it. We took my parents with us, who have been traveling the Country for 14 years now in an RV. Actually, in several different RVs, as they have traded up over the years. Anyway, we just wanted another set of eyes or two, to help catch something we may miss. We had experience too, but you get caught up in the excitement and the desire too easily and can overlook things sometimes that others may catch.

The main thing I hope people will take out of reading a thread like this is that you do really have to spend a lot of time inspecting and picking apart any unit you purchase. Just because it is new, a certain brand or a deal that couldn't be passed up doesn't mean it will be the RV of your dreams in the end. Take your time, do your homework, spend hours upon hours in and around the unit looking for anything that could be a red flag and make sure you feel very, very comfortable with the Dealer or individual you are purchasing from. If something doesn't feel right, walk away, they are making more RVs everyday.
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAARubicon View Post
Well, after 3 plus years of ownership of our Lacrosse 318bhs I feel compelled to write an honest assessment of this Brand and unit, sadly it is not good.

We are occasional campers, maybe 4 to 5 times a year. We bought the trailer because we love the floor plan and read good things about Prime Time. One thing that hasn't changed is that we love the layout. We bought the unit new in November of 2011 as a 2012 model.

So here is how the trailer is holding up after only a little over 3 years:

1. The floor flexes like crazy, one spot in front of the fridge is so bad that if you are not paying attention it will cause you to lose balance. The floor flex was noticed in the first year, bracing was added to help. As it continually gets worse, there is not much we can do. Repairs are deemed impossible and not worth the resale of the trailer because it pretty much means an entire disassembly to fix it properly.

2. Mystery water leak. There is a water leak in the rear slide area the causes the in floor storage bin to fill with water. We have had our dealer look for it and they are at a loss. They have many theories, all of which have been proven wrong. As they say, we cant fix something that we don't know where it is. So, I am taking it to another dealer to see what they can find. I the mean time, the inside trim is swelling and coming apart and I am sure mold is crowing in areas I cant see as a result.

3. Delamination. We have a nice bubble on our rear slide also. Out of warranty, massively expensive repair to rebuild the rear slide.

4. A handful of other minor things, but items 1 thru 3 pretty much say it all.

Now, before a bunch of you start jumping all over me and making all this my fault please understand where I am coming from. I am posting this for two reasons.

1. For future buyers to consider these things and really examine the unit before signing the dotted line. Really walk the floor and pay attention to how it moves. We felt it early on and was told it was normal and thru a process of denial I guess, we let it go to long. If it feels excessive, pass on it and try another one. Look the exterior skin over very carefully, we noticed ours in the first year and was told it was a typical seam. If it looks wrong, it probably is. Pass on it, look at others. I am sure we are probably one of a few, but I doubt we are the only ones in this boat.

2. Are there other people out there experiencing these same issues.

And now, for all of you who will say, just get rid of it and get a new one.

1. Dealers will not take our unit in on trade with these issues, they deem the trailer "unsellable"

2. I could never sell this trailer to anyone with these problems.

So after three years of ownership, I have a worthless travel trailer that I get to make a monthly payment on and cant afford to fix properly.

There, I got it off my chest.
It would be interesting to see how they would resolve these issues if you came the Goshen rally with these items. Have you given that any thought, you might be surprised.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
Very Sorry for the experience you have had. That stinks when you make that kind of investment in what should be an enjoyable experience for you and your family and it turns out sour. And like others previously stated, thanks for writing an honest and valuable account of your experience so others can make a more informed decision on their purchase.

Having said that, I do want to relay our experience with the exact same product that has caused you so much grief so that other people can see, as with any man made product, there can be good and bad units.

We have a 2012 Lacrosse 318BHS that we absolutely love and has been really trouble free. In fact, I spend more time searching for little Mods to do, items to perform preventive maintenance on and cleaning it just to feel like I am doing something. I have not had what I considered the first issue with it that I wouldn't expect out of any brand RV that is used on a regular basis and travels up and down the highways getting beat around.

Sure, I have to tighten a screw here or there in a cabinet door hinge, but we have just been really blessed to have gotten a unit that so far has been trouble free. I am constantly thankful for that as I read of others troubles on many different brands of RVs, but never am I more thankful than when I read of a fellow Lacrosse owner who has had the unfortunate experience of getting a unit that apparently never should have left the factory.

Now we were not the original purchaser of our Lacrosse, we are the second owner, but I know the first owner well. They only used the unit six times before we got it and they did not have any major issues that had to be dealt with before we purchased it from them.

Even though we knew and trusted the previous owners we did go over the unit with a fine tooth comb before deciding to purchase it. We took my parents with us, who have been traveling the Country for 14 years now in an RV. Actually, in several different RVs, as they have traded up over the years. Anyway, we just wanted another set of eyes or two, to help catch something we may miss. We had experience too, but you get caught up in the excitement and the desire too easily and can overlook things sometimes that others may catch.

The main thing I hope people will take out of reading a thread like this is that you do really have to spend a lot of time inspecting and picking apart any unit you purchase. Just because it is new, a certain brand or a deal that couldn't be passed up doesn't mean it will be the RV of your dreams in the end. Take your time, do your homework, spend hours upon hours in and around the unit looking for anything that could be a red flag and make sure you feel very, very comfortable with the Dealer or individual you are purchasing from. If something doesn't feel right, walk away, they are making more RVs everyday.
Good for you, things would be much easier for me my family If ours was this easy. It stinks being the guy stuck with this lemon.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
It would be interesting to see how they would resolve these issues if you came the Goshen rally with these items. Have you given that any thought, you might be surprised.
I hear they do some remarkable good things there. Could be worth a try..

HAARubicon, Was any of this noted while under warranty? Have you ever contacted prime time on this? If not, think I would, couldn't hurt.
Seasonal
Old 03-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I really don't expect prime time to help with any of this. Because the noted items were brought to the attention of them at the one year walk thru I was hopeful they would assist in the repairs because of the major structural nature of the items, not cover them totally, just help a fella out a little. But they said absolutely not, it's out of warranty. I have grown used to engineered obsolescence in today's world, I was hopeful this would be different. If I had time to get to Goshen from Texas I would.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAARubicon View Post
I really don't expect prime time to help with any of this. Because the noted items were brought to the attention of them at the one year walk thru I was hopeful they would assist in the repairs because of the major structural nature of the items, not cover them totally, just help a fella out a little. But they said absolutely not, it's out of warranty. I have grown used to engineered obsolescence in today's world, I was hopeful this would be different. If I had time to get to Goshen from Texas I would.
So YOU have talked to prime time about this? Just asking coz I wouldn't go on my dealers word of mouth alone.
Seasonal
Old 03-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I hear they do some remarkable good things there. Could be worth a try..

HAARubicon, Was any of this noted while under warranty? Have you ever contacted prime time on this?
Sorry to hear about your issues - I think most us have some level of fear in the back of our minds when buying a new RV - worrying about un-seen issues with such a huge investment.

But both of the above suggestions were what I was thinking when I read your assessment. Generally, the factory seems to want to have you work with the dealer first, which you did. The issues were not resolved, so finding the warranty rep contact info and calling that person would be a good next step.

I think if you just repeated exactly what you posted, they may try to help make it right even out of warranty. And if you have any paper trail that the dealer looked at / was aware of / couldn't fix these things during the warranty period, that should help your case.

Just reading on here, there seems to be a wide spread of results in contacting the factory, but many people have said great things about the ability of the factories to do high quality repair work.

Maybe they just agree to fix some or all of the issues, maybe they meet you part way and fix it at a discounted rate, or maybe they don't, but it will only cost you your time to ask.

Hopefully the factory can be more helpful than the dealer has been.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lacrosse