Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #1

30 amp portable RV surge protection

I have read several threads on this great forum about surge protection and finally purchased a Progressive Ind. EMS-PT30C. Based on features and lifetime warranty this is probably the best you can buy, but also the most expensive. Best price on line was at RV upgrades.com ... $220 plus $15 shipping. Arrived yesterday' and the trailer is in my shed with a dedicated 30 amp outlet. Plugged in the protector and received an error code. i.e. reverse polarity condition (hot and neutral wires reversed). During storage I have had a trailer plugged in w/o protection for 7 years and no apparent problem. Does anyone know if or why reverse polarity s/b an issue? I opened the wall receptical and switched the wires ... problem solved. I believe this is the only 30 amp unit on the market that has reverse polarity alert????? HOWEVER, my next problem was not as easy to fix. I could not insert the male plug on my power cord into the outlet on the surge protector. I did everything except use a hammer to force it in. Round pin hole clamps would not move apart. Lifetime warranty with phone number was included with directions. Called Progressive Industries and talked to company President, Tom Fanelli. This problem should not exist, so he is sending me a new unit today along with a pre-paid shipping label to send the defective one back. I like this kind of customer service!

Curious, did anyone else have any problems with surge protectors?
Klemintine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #2

Read following article which describes what can happen with reverse polarity. I have the hard wired unit so no issues for me.

The shocking truth about campground electricity
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Engineer of Crazy Train

Here is a link to the dangers of Reverse Polarity.

Reversed Polarity Outlets | Structure Tech Home Inspections

Sounds like good customer service from Progressive Industries. My next camper will have one of their units.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

Surge protection is something I do not have yet, but I know I need one and I will be investigating it this year. The Progressive Industries units are already at the top of my list and this post confirms that.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Read following article which describes what can happen with reverse polarity. I have the hard wired unit so no issues for me.

The shocking truth about campground electricity
Thanks Fonzie! That really answered my questions. I now realize I was fortunate these past years in that I never used any of the appliances while parked in the shed and plugged in to the reverse polarity outlet.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #6

I received the replacement surge protector from Progressive Ind last Sat along with the pre-paid return label. Warranty service doesn't get any better than this!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

Progressive Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Surge protection is something I do not have yet, but I know I need one and I will be investigating it this year. The Progressive Industries units are already at the top of my list and this post confirms that.
If you are looking for a surge "protector" stay away from Progressive Industries "Smart Surge", they are a surge status "indicator" and polarity tester which means they only tell you if a surge occurred or there is a reverse polarity issue. Make sure you purchase a surge protector that states that in the description like Technology Research surge guard with ground.

From Amazon.com

Technology Research:
TRC Surge Guard With Shock Shield
Perfect for Pop-ups and Travel Trailers
Automatically shuts off the power when ground faults are present
Requires manual reset after a ground fault
Provides shock protection

Progressive Industries:
1 yr. mfg. warranty
Surge Status Indicator
Polarity tester
Compact Size

2013 Rockwood 2904SS Emerald Edition
2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 TRD

Nights camped 2014 = 5
majordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klemintine View Post
I have read several threads on this great forum about surge protection and finally purchased a Progressive Ind. EMS-PT30C. Based on features and lifetime warranty this is probably the best you can buy, but also the most expensive. Best price on line was at RV upgrades.com ... $220 plus $15 shipping. Arrived yesterday' and the trailer is in my shed with a dedicated 30 amp outlet. Plugged in the protector and received an error code. i.e. reverse polarity condition (hot and neutral wires reversed). During storage I have had a trailer plugged in w/o protection for 7 years and no apparent problem. Does anyone know if or why reverse polarity s/b an issue? I opened the wall receptical and switched the wires ... problem solved. I believe this is the only 30 amp unit on the market that has reverse polarity alert????? HOWEVER, my next problem was not as easy to fix. I could not insert the male plug on my power cord into the outlet on the surge protector. I did everything except use a hammer to force it in. Round pin hole clamps would not move apart. Lifetime warranty with phone number was included with directions. Called Progressive Industries and talked to company President, Tom Fanelli. This problem should not exist, so he is sending me a new unit today along with a pre-paid shipping label to send the defective one back. I like this kind of customer service!

Curious, did anyone else have any problems with surge protectors?
Reversed polarity will not damage anything because it alternating current. But it is wise what you did. It just safer and some new electronics do not like it. I had the same problem when mine was new added some dietel contactor grease I think it's called and after a couple of hook-up it went away.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Reversed polarity will not damage anything because it alternating current. But it is wise what you did. It just safer and some new electronics do not like it. I had the same problem when mine was new added some dietel contactor grease I think it's called and after a couple of hook-up it went away.

You may want to check that statement out further. Just a suggestion.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordel View Post
If you are looking for a surge "protector" stay away from Progressive Industries "Smart Surge", they are a surge status "indicator" and polarity tester which means they only tell you if a surge occurred or there is a reverse polarity issue. Make sure you purchase a surge protector that states that in the description like Technology Research surge guard with ground.

From Amazon.com

Technology Research:
TRC Surge Guard With Shock Shield
Perfect for Pop-ups and Travel Trailers
Automatically shuts off the power when ground faults are present
Requires manual reset after a ground fault
Provides shock protection

Progressive Industries:
1 yr. mfg. warranty
Surge Status Indicator
Polarity tester
Compact Size

To be clear, the recommendation from the groups here is for the progressive industries EMS power protection units. which are superior to the others on the market IMO, of course, except for the transformer units (Franks) that also help boost the voltage when to drops to low.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #11

Should have clarified that better in my message.

Thanks,

2013 Rockwood 2904SS Emerald Edition
2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 TRD

Nights camped 2014 = 5
majordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
You may want to check that statement out further. Just a suggestion.
I find nothing wrong with what a said unless you are using your frame for a neutral. You can have a raw wire hot touching the frame and get the same shock. My statement was that your stuff will still run and some electronics do not like it and burn your boards, what is wrong with that statement.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote