Old 01-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

318 BHS AC upgrade req'd?

looking at purchasing 318BHS. Would you consider the 15,000 btu ac or dual ac units. It also says the dual is ducted, how is this different than the standard single unit? doing most camping in oh, ky, tn, areas if that helps.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Yep, you will want the duals. Any camper over, lets say 28' or above, that spends any time in hot or humid weather (like Tennessee can have ) the 15k primary and 13.5 are almost must haves. Besides it is almost half the price to order from the factory compared to a later install.
Good luck!!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Oh and the second being ducted, its just like the primary. You can turn off the living area unit and the 2nd ac will still feed air thru all the vents. Of course you can still dump one or the other or both to speed up cooling in a certain area.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #4

What are the ballpark prices one should expect to upgrading to a 15,000 btu unit or dual units? Almost all of the units the dealer had in stock were the 13,500 units. The only advantages of this particular unit is that the bathroom has an access directly to the outside so as the kids go in and out it does not heat up the main areas. I also had intended to install slide toppers as I hear it keeps the tops of slide outs cooler. Anyone have just the 13,500 btu unit, including other models/makes?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm View Post
looking at purchasing 318BHS. Would you consider the 15,000 btu ac or dual ac units. It also says the dual is ducted, how is this different than the standard single unit? doing most camping in oh, ky, tn, areas if that helps.
We have a 2012 Lacrosse 318BHS with the single 15,000 BTU unit, Ducted and Slide Toppers. We are in Florida and do our camping in Florida and South Georgia. We have not had an issue with keeping the cabin temperature cool enough for us so far.

I will say this though, I try and make sure our summer camping spots have decent shade and I know the slide toppers make a reasonable difference because when we first bought the unit we didn't have them and you could feel the heat radiate from the ceiling of the slides when the sun beat directly down on them.

Also, I do not ever let the temperature get away from me too badly either. If you keep it shut up and it gets baking hot inside then it will take it a while to catch up, that only happened once and that was before the slide toppers as well, with no shade whatsoever, which was the day we went to do our inspection and walk through.

I was almost skeptical of the single unit being able to keep up that day, but like I said, no problems for us so far. I can see where the dual units would be sweet to have though as my Dad has those in his Fiver. Of course he usually only runs one unit or the other, depending where they are in the trailer, bedroom or dining/living area.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

We have the PT Tracer 3150 w/same floor plan & have no trouble keeping it cool with just (1) 13.5K A/C in Ohio... On hot days my wife has even cooked indoors & the temps were still comfortable. That said, if we had bought ours new, I would have upgraded to (1) 15K & 50A wiring since it does not add that much at time of purchase. Then, we could add the 2nd A/C without wiring issues...

Since we just have the (1) A/C, I added (2) Deluxe MaxxAir fans that operate in push/pull fashion while we are traveling. Upon arrival, the A/C doesn't have to fight temps above outdoor temps... We can also close the fan lids/covers & let the fans run to better circulate air with A/C on. This combo keeps us cool without throwing breakers at 30A sites...

I have found that many of the more secluded campsites w/full shade are only 30A service whereas the 50A sites are pull-through sites, etc. in full sun. Although you might be able to get away with running (2) A/Cs from a 30A box, you would need to remember to turn one off when using the microwave, etc...
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #7

We have the 15k a/c upgrade ... worth it in summer if your not in the shade. But I don't think you need dual 13k units.
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
What are the ballpark prices one should expect to upgrading to a 15,000 btu unit or dual units? Almost all of the units the dealer had in stock were the 13,500 units. The only advantages of this particular unit is that the bathroom has an access directly to the outside so as the kids go in and out it does not heat up the main areas. I also had intended to install slide toppers as I hear it keeps the tops of slide outs cooler. Anyone have just the 13,500 btu unit, including other models/makes?
I cant remember for sure. I think the 15k upgrade is about $100-$200 and a second ac is about another $450-$750, some dealers may try to get $1000-1200 for second, but their cost when ordering is about 30%off the list option price. I have a good relationship with my dealers owners and when i ordered my second 5er, they gave me both the dealer list (was marked confidential ) and the retail list.
If you add a second ac later and don't have the prep package, expect to spend $1600+ for install, wiring and unit.
Yes slide topers will help and dual pane window too.....but both can be pricey.

These were palimino sabre rough prices, but others should be similar.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #9

I have dual 15k units in mine. They worked perfect keeping the trailer cool last summer with high temperatures of 100-110 degrees and no shade.

2014 Ford F250 FX4 Crewcab Powerstroke 6.7
2014 Primetime Lacrosse 318BHS Touring Edition
RV Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #10

Quote:
depends on where your camping?...if its 90+ the single aint gonna keep you real happy...

the dual 15k in mine has ducts on both but they both only blow out of one half of the ducts (the front blows out of the forward 6 ducts when on and the rear blows out of the rearward 6 ducts...)

also if you go dual 15k from the factory, you get upgraded to 50amp service.....and honestly if you wanna run the fireplace if equipped , or a couple of space heaters, this is worth its weight alone)

the 318 is a big ol trailer....almost too much for a single ac in any warmish climate especially with 3-4 hot people inside....

Just my opinion...

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade