Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStacey616 View Post
I agree with your findings...
just to note... the Primetime Tracer in the bunkroom, that desk is for the TV, it has power and cable right there, as far as cabinet space, you can't really see it, there is a shirt cabinet to the left, and two drawers under the desk. For our two kids and their friends that go with us, plenty of room.
The other thing is the Tracer does have a shorter awning, but not an issue for us.
It does however, have central vacuum. wifey loved that, happy wife=happy life
One thing we noticed before we bought was the bathroom is a little short on 'storage' but i plan on fixing that .... ideas are floating right now...
Hey Tom,

I'm assuming you've camped in your 3200BHT by now. Can to offer some impressions and opinions. I'm looking to trade up my Springdale and move to something a little nicer with better structure and components. Simply put I'm impressed by the floor construction and warranty that Prime Time offers. The aluminum frame on the box is a great selling point to. Seals, insulation, and cabinetry all seem to be top shelf too. I looked at this unit only briefly but I'm giving it a second glance...

Things I'm curious about. How's the A/C? Keep the unit cool in the sun? The fridge keep things cold without issues. Those units on slides I've always wondered about since their exposed to more sun. The sleep and play bunk in the rear, do you think it could sleep someone 6'2"? Any quarks rear their head yet? Oh and I read somewhere that only the rear axel has breaks. Seemed stupid but is it true? And how does it feel pulled behind your Tundra?

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post

Hey Tom,

I'm assuming you've camped in your 3200BHT by now. Can to offer some impressions and opinions. I'm looking to trade up my Springdale and move to something a little nicer with better structure and components. Simply put I'm impressed by the floor construction and warranty that Prime Time offers. The aluminum frame on the box is a great selling point to. Seals, insulation, and cabinetry all seem to be top shelf too. I looked at this unit only briefly but I'm giving it a second glance...

Things I'm curious about. How's the A/C? Keep the unit cool in the sun? The fridge keep things cold without issues. Those units on slides I've always wondered about since their exposed to more sun. The sleep and play bunk in the rear, do you think it could sleep someone 6'2"? Any quarks rear their head yet? Oh and I read somewhere that only the rear axel has breaks. Seemed stupid but is it true? And how does it feel pulled behind your Tundra?
Hey there Mister,
Yes we've camped multiple times so far in our BHT. 5-6 times now all over Virginia... To answer your questions, i'll do the best I can.
A/C- works like a charm. We have the 15k Btu unit and it cools the camper down with no issues.
Fridge- it has on the backside above the coils a fan to help move air out the top vent. I think there is a second fan in there but have yet to find it, I CAN hear it! As for cooling/freezing, does fine, no issues.
The slides with exposure to sun- have yet to really feel a difference to be honest. I think they are insulated pretty well.
The sleep and play bunk- it's nice. My kids enjoy it and take turns sleeping all over the three beds(2 bunks and the 1 sofa). As for a 6'2" person, not sure. I know I fit just fine and I'm only 5'11".
No quirks just yet. The only thing I wish it had was bathroom storage. But we make do with the bedroom storage.
Brakes question, not sure. Seems weird but i'll check it out in the next day or two.
Now, my Tundra is the DC, 5.7 TRD/SR5 with tow package. I have the BlueOX sway pro and finally got it dialed in. I plan on getting weights next weekend before our trip to Hershey and ill post them when I can.

Hope this helps!!!
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #23

I too have the 3200 BHT and love it. Other than a few minor issues that I believe have been fixed, it has been perfect. We have the 12,000 BTU A/C and it has been in the 80-90's in NH and have not had an issue with it. We have used it 4 times since we got it Memorial Day weekend.
The only downsides that I can think of are:
1. The smaller 20lb propane tanks. It was really cold during Memorial Day weekend and we burnt an entire tank. Again no big deal, just something to point out.
2. I wish they had an awning over the outdoor kitchen. When it rains the door for the kitchen is almost level and the rain water can drip into the kitchen. I think I will start setting it up slightly off level leaning it that way to prevent that.
3. I wish there was a coat /shoe closet. To get around this, we bought an over the door hanger that has four hooks. We put that on the sliding bedroom door.

Pluses:
1. Love the layout. It would be hard pressed to find a better layout I think.
2. Kids bunk room is great.
3. Area in kitchen is awesome, especially on those rainy days.
4. Bathroom and shower area.

We did upgrade our mattress with a memory foam. Much better. I also did hook up my weber Q-100 to the units quick connect. This works awesome. We have not found any storage issues.

Now for the weight police to chime in. I tow it with my 2012 Chevy 1/2 crew cab with the tow package. I use the Reese Dual Cam set up and can honestly say I have not had any issues. Most of our trips are 1.5 hours away. I can hold 60-70 mph. On the steeper grades, the engine does down shift on the steeper inclines, but for the 5-10 times I tow it a year, I feel good, plus I do have alot of towing experience so I think that helps. You just need to be smart when you are towing.

The last thing to keep in mind as well as backing into tighter spaces can be a little more work, again no big deal, just prepare and plan accordingly.
f700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #24

Thank you both for your replies. The information is much appreciated.

For my uses my concerns are... The floor plan is near perfect with sleeping an adult in the bunk house being a concern. That's something I think I can remedy. Though in my current bunk house I have storage at the head end of the double bed's so it lets me cheat the length a bit. I'll miss that. But other than that, the water, and the LP I see only pluses to switching to this floor plan.

I'm surprised to hear this unit ships with 20lb LP tanks, that's a bit surprising. I do camp in spring and fall so that could be fun. But on the other hand, trading in LP tanks at a gas station is quicker solution than finding a place to refill them in BFE.

Currently I have trouble keeping my fridge cold in direct sunlight on hot days but fans are always the recommendation to quell that and it sounds like the manufacturers are wising up to this.

The A/C is a similar concern. I've never had trouble keeping my unit cool but I've seen the A/C run non-stop literally all afternoon to do it. (Last summer was a scorcher in OH.) With the additional volume and slides I wondered about this. But I keep forgetting this unit has better insulation than what I'm in now.

It's also about 700lbs more than what I have now. That said my 5.4L F150 still feels like it has more power left on the curve if I need it. This unit has more storage in some areas (kitchen and living room) and less in others (bunk room and outside.) But that may work to my advantage. It will force me to leave some unnecessary things at home and I'll have a place to stow soda and food other than on the floor and the counters.

Honestly the water coming in from the kitchen slide terrifies me. I'm looking at trading up due to some water damage incurred from water getting past the seals on my slide. Please let me know if this continues. Ironically your solution to water was something I do as well. Though I guess its a risk on a unit with opposing slides. If you find the source of the problem or a solution please inform us.

You may laugh at this but I'm actually thinking of asking if this unit is available without the outside kitchen. The additional outside storage I would find useful. And I camp in more rustic parks that don't always have the most level pads. Accessing that kitchen might prove to be a challenge.

I've gotta say the construction on this series really strikes me. The aluminum frame construction and structural walls and ceilings on all components seems to be a winner. Lighter, stronger, and more durable than wood... Just kind of a duh thing. Considering the 20lb tank issue and my extended season I'm wondering if there's heat pump option.

Once again I appreciate your opinions and observations.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 07-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #25

Following up on my previous post/reply about your question on which axle has the brakes. NOT TRUE. Both axles have wires/hubs and have brakes.
Also, we've had some driving rain a few days back and to note for you well being on trying to make a decision on what camper to buy, mine didn't leak, anywhere!! The outdoor kitchen was tight, no water, and all my slides were dry on the inside when i slide them out recently to get ready for our trip to Hershey.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStacey616 View Post
Following up on my previous post/reply about your question on which axle has the brakes. NOT TRUE. Both axles have wires/hubs and have brakes.
Also, we've had some driving rain a few days back and to note for you well being on trying to make a decision on what camper to buy, mine didn't leak, anywhere!! The outdoor kitchen was tight, no water, and all my slides were dry on the inside when i slide them out recently to get ready for our trip to Hershey.
Great info Tom. I figured the note I found about only one axel having breaks was likely a misprint. But these days you never know. I'm glad to hear you have a water tight coach. That is my number nightmare these days concerning campers. Given that and regardless of what brand or model I end up with, I will likely take extra precautions. I'm thinking of some kind of gutter or rain deflector over top of the slide(s) to keep water off the top bulb seal as much as possible.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 07-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #27

Slide toppers work great for this. Wouldn't be without them.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
Slide toppers work great for this. Wouldn't be without them.
I have a slide topper on my current unit. However as most leaks seem to occur during storage I'm looking for a cheaper option that requires less long term maintenance.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #29

We have a 3200 BHT as well and I thought I would chime in with our experience. I should mention first that this is our first trailer. We have rented several and tent camped plenty. We looked at several similar layouts and brands and settled on this one because of our needs. I have a family of three and we plan on camping frequently with my parents (in the Tracer) as well as my sister's family (2 kids and 2 adults in their own TT).

We had a few requirements when we started shopping. My Mom and wife both wanted an outside kitchen, my Dad wanted a residential shower, my daughter wanted a bunk house with a sofa, and I wanted them all to be happy!

We have a 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (4 wheel drive with 5.7 and tow package) so the trailer needed to be half ton towable. We looked most at the 318 and a few Bullet Premier floor plans. We decided on the Tracer because of the floor plan. When we camp with my parents they will sleep in the bedroom with its proximity to the bathroom their frequent trips shouldn't wake us up! We also liked the interior size with the slides out. On rainy days the entire family will be comfortable inside the trailer. While we were looking at the Tracer with my family we ended up all standing around the island and found it to be a great gathering spot.

Our trailer weighs in at 7600 dry. Our Tundra handled the trailer well on our first two trips (one 2 hundred mile mostly interstate trip across Indiana from Richmond Indiana to Champaign IL and a shorter local trip). We are well within the limitations of the truck from a towing standpoint, but we push the payload capacity. We are using an equalizer WHD. On the longer interstate trip I averaged 11 MPG and the truck was able to maintain 65 to 70 without any issues.

I am 6'01" and slept on one of the top bunks in the bunk house on our first couple of trips. 6'3" might be pushing it, but if you normally sleep on your side and curl up a little you should be fine.

After our first few trips we are really happy with the trailer. We haven't had any issues with it. I really liked the construction of the trailer when we were comparing it to other brands, and in use it has been great. The AC handled 3 90 degree days with very high humidity. I have been really impressed with how quiet the trailer is on the inside compared to ones we have rented in the past. Overall we couldn't be happier with the Tracer! I should also add that we bought our trailer from Tom Raper's and they were really good to work with!
Illini95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #30

Thank you for the info on the bunk. I laid in a similar be today. And I think it'll work for me. I'll miss my double bed with its "head locker" but the creature comforts of the 3200BHT make feel better about this.

I'm still struck by the construction technology that PTM uses. Anybody know what temperatures they test their models to?

And a funny anecdote. I was at a local RV dealership today and got a "dressing down" from a sales person about PTM being too new... Obviously they didn't sell Forrest River products. I was just trying to get some supplies for an upcoming trip. She tried to convince me that I should be cautious of delamination, ect, ect. In the mean time she was trying to talk me into buying a Jayco which didn't meet any of my "specs" or an Outback which was similar to the 3150 and didn't seem to understand I was looking for something else. Good job! Way to chase off a customer!

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 08-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #31

So (against my better judgment) I went ahead and talked to my local PTM dealer today. I was set on waiting until next season on trading in but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse... I'm still waiting on final conformation on financing but assuming all goes well, I will soon take delivery of a brand new 3200BHT.

I'm still in a state of shock however I did take the opportunity to talk the salesman's ear off and talk to a tech. But one question I forgot to ask was about the "galley" tank button on the tanks and battery panel in the bathroom. My current trailer only has four buttons "fresh, grey, black, battery" the 3200 has that extra "galley" button. What is it? I thought it might be for the outside galley sink but that drains into the black tank so I'm stumped.

I took my father who camps with me most of the time. He wasn't much help in the department of "being my conscience" nor the "voice of reason" however we both went over the unit with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find anything that talked either of us out of it. Bottom line, I've got a trip planned in 3 weeks and I hope to be camping in style and a whole new level of comfort.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #32

My guess is that it's an unused button. The galley tank is usually where the kitchen sink drains, but the specs for that trailer say it has 30 gallon grey, so I doubt that 30 is split into two tanks.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #33

Fair enough. If that's the case then that's cool.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
So (against my better judgment) I went ahead and talked to my local PTM dealer today. I was set on waiting until next season on trading in but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse... I'm still waiting on final conformation on financing but assuming all goes well, I will soon take delivery of a brand new 3200BHT.

I'm still in a state of shock however I did take the opportunity to talk the salesman's ear off and talk to a tech. But one question I forgot to ask was about the "galley" tank button on the tanks and battery panel in the bathroom. My current trailer only has four buttons "fresh, grey, black, battery" the 3200 has that extra "galley" button. What is it? I thought it might be for the outside galley sink but that drains into the black tank so I'm stumped.

I took my father who camps with me most of the time. He wasn't much help in the department of "being my conscience" nor the "voice of reason" however we both went over the unit with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find anything that talked either of us out of it. Bottom line, I've got a trip planned in 3 weeks and I hope to be camping in style and a whole new level of comfort.
I have yet to figure out if it drains to grey or black. I don't bother with that button since I barely use that sink. I think I will use it more once I replace the faucet. Find the water pump yet under the back room closet? I the front wardrobe, you might be compelled to move the hanger rods up a little once you put a few shirts in there.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #35

We just came back from our first trip in our 3200bht and it was great. The 'galley'' on the panel is for the kitchen. It has its own holding tank. The sink in the outside kitchen runs into the black tank.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote