Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

Angry 355BHQ Crusader Leak after leak after leak......

My wife and I purchased a 2012 355BHQ from Sunset RV in Bonney lake Washington in July 2013. We were told that the unit was used and had been purchased and returned immediately because the buyer had never towed a large fifth wheel before and it scared him. We were told that the buyer bought a Motorcoach instead.
We took the unit home to our camping lot where we store the unit. We stocked it over the next two weeks and found a few minor problems. The trim in the master bath was loos by the sliding door, the toilet paper holders were not installed in either bathroom and the fresh water would not fill. I pulled the false wall by the fresh water fill port back to find that there was sag in the fill tube. I fixed this and at the same time I found that the pee trap for the shower had been leaking onto the subfloor and luckily we had only used the shower twice. I found that the pee trap plumbing had been glued at such an angle that the taper could not seat and make a seal. I called the dealer and they said I could fix it if I didn't want to bring it all the way back (around 100 mile away). I split the pipe and installed a flexible union and this fixed the leak. All seemed to be ok.

We then took it on the maiden voyage for a camping trip about 2 hours away. On the second day we noticed that the front of the unit was leaking sewage. We made it through the weekend and contacted the dealer and we were instructed to bring it back because this is an issue that should have been caught on the PDI.
We brought it back to the dealer after we unloaded the perishables and left it for 3 weeks. We were told that the leak was a black water drain valve and that they had replaced the valve.

We brought it home and stocked it for our second and last trip. We were to be going 300 miles this time. We got to our destination and on the second day we found the unit leaking again in the same location, and upon inspection I noticed that the under belly insulation had not been secured properly and the rear gray tank valve handle was broken. I almost incurred a fine from the campground we were at. Luckily they let me dilute the waste down and put some bleach down.

The following week when we arrived home we contacted the dealer again, unloaded our perishables and took it back into them. This time they had the unit for over a month and a half and found five more leaks, multiple valves and a rear gray water tank that they replaced as a unit. I was once again given a call letting me know the unit was ready to be picked up and they re-assured me that all of the problems were taken care of. Upon arrival to pick up my unit I found that the batteries were dead and all of the storage compartments were unlocked. I could not locate a snap-on screw gun I had left in the unit so I was checking under the counter in cabinets where it may have been placed. At this time I noticed that the area was wet under the pee trap for the kitchen sink and that all of my belongings and the paper work for my trailer were wet, also there was water damage to the shelves and the floor.
I am so frustrated I don't know what to do anymore. The dealer is just giving me the runaround. I gave them the choice to replace my unit with a new one or give me my money back and they wont give me any answers. I am making payments on an RV that is probably never going to be usable.

Anyone have any advice? I am going down to remove all of my personal belongings tomorrow.
matt72580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

I would suggest that you find another dealer, but it's seems unlikely to me that you have any warranty with FR (since you were not the first owner), so I think the work you're getting is all being covered by the dealer. Given that. Wow.

It might still be best just to get a qualified tech/dealer and pay for the work yourself. (Personally, I like Mobile RV Techs.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #3

Barry,
I actually tallked with a rep from forest river at the first incident and they said that since the warranty wasn't registered the first time by the dealer they would cover all of the repairs under warranty, and the warranty is now registered in our names. My problem is that I have no idea how much damage has been done to the structure of this rv and what kind of sanitary problems I am going to have in the long run. We bought this unit and sold our smaller one because we have a 18month old son and this was to accommodate him I dont want to put his health in danger by having an unsanitary RV. Thanks for the insight.....
matt72580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #4

I'm very glad to hear that you do have the warranty! By all means then, just find a dealer or tech that know what they are doing. I really don't think this is going to have any lingering health problems.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #5

If FR has agreed to warranty the unit and you are not satisfied with your current dealer (honestly I cannot blame you, I would not be either), then contact FR. Explain the situation to them and they will help you find another dealer to service the unit.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
If FR has agreed to warranty the unit and you are not satisfied with your current dealer (honestly I cannot blame you, I would not be either), then contact FR. Explain the situation to them and they will help you find another dealer to service the unit.
Agreed. And honestly, I'm flabbergasted that they're honoring the warranty. Lucky you. I've always heard that second-owners are out of luck.

At this point, I'd be pushing for a factory return for the camper. Send it back and let them go over it with a fine tooth comb. It'll give you a sense of security when you get it back (or so I'm telling myself as my Sabre is back at the factory right now).
Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #7

We also bought our trailer from Sunset RV but the fife location, upon our second trip the black tank handle has broke due to the tank sitting too low and the handle holding the tank up in the frame rail hole. It currently is sitting at the white river rv repair center waiting for 4 weeks on a warranty claim.?!!

Im curious to see how your experience turns out. Sunset Rv is part of the bigger Sunset chev etc dealers in downtown sumner so im sure there is someone higher up to go to.
jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #8

leaky crusader

I can relate with what you are going through. I took my ace motorhome (bought at bonney lake ) to white river repair shop . it had 6 different problems at the time. the main problem was a leaking skylite. they could not find the leak. they only fixed one issue and had it for over six weeks. I took the unit to camping world where they found the leak right away. I eventually had to trade the ace in on a fifth wheel. the only place I could trade it in was ,you guessed it. sunset rv in bonney lake. I have a crusader 295rst. it seems like its fairly well built. only minor problems so far that I have been able to fix. perhaps if you call prime time you will be able to take it to a competent repair facility.good luck
whiteyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #9

White river called me the day after i posted telling me everything was finished and was all ready to get picked up.

This from the third service person that ive dealt with over the last 5 months of owning our trailer. first lady either was fired or quit and apparently the second guy just quit.

Something shady is going on at white river.

Tags
crusader, leak