Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #1

3601 Sanibel slide

Well, we just did our tech assisted walk through on our 2015 3601 Sanibel. All in all, very pleased with everything - except the curb side slide. It makes a lot of grinding noise and creaking etc. Road side slide is perfect. It seems like the slide is binding. As well, the slide wheel opening moulding does not match up to the piece that is on the body when the slide is closed there is a gap and it looks like crap. Anyone else with a 3601 that can confirm what the wheel opening moulding looks like with he slide closed?
Thanks
Old 03-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

Noticed the same thing with ours....

I sincerely hope you don't have the same problems we're having! We noticed the same thing with ours on our initial PDI, and that it wasn't closing completely. - We purchased ours on February 10 but were unable to move it off the dealer's lot because the bedroom slide was malfunctioning so badly. We finally were able to bring it home from the dealer on March 17 after the repair was completed. The bedroom slide seems to be working okay but our other two slides are now malfunctioning (each with different problems but both serious) and we've been instructed to take ours back in for repairs. - Bottom line: Watch your slides closely!! If you notice ANYTHING that seems unusual, call Prime Time and discuss it with them. Hope yours work as well as you expect. Good luck!!
MA554PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #3

The Fridge side slide is fine so far. the hallway / bedroom slide doesn't seem to open all the way. They are checking that as well. (forgot to mention in my original post)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

We were, to say the least, surprised that we'd have so much trouble with our slides in the first 48 hours of having our unit in our possession (it's in storage). The dining-side slide started shedding "Draco material" (according to Rick Koelndorfer's @ Prime Time ), a black rubbery substance, across the carpet near the door and a thin but solid line across most of the rest of the floor. Yesterday, we went to visit our rv and I went into the bathroom immediately without opening the big slides. As I left the bathroom, I saw two lines of leaves on the top of the kitchen-side slide INSIDE our unit!! When we opened the slide, we saw a very distinct indentation (6"x1") in the flooring where the slide rested on top of it near the pantry. We also noticed that the other big slide had actually sliced into the flooring when it closed the day before. - Prime Time is aware of our problems and we're waiting for the okay to take it somewhere other than the dealership for repairs. We did not have a good relationship with the dealer for many reasons, one being that in the 5 weeks they had our brand new, never off the lot unit, they ignored several of the things that were on our discrepancy list. Hopefully you have a better relationship with your dealer!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #5

BTW, my name is Mary Ann. Hubby is Buz. Kitty is Ringer, a 16 year old rescue that we've had since kittenhood
Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Maryann, sorry to hear about your problems. I have the same unit and had the same problems. I may be of some help for you. Pm me if you would like.
Funtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #7

Hello Mary Ann and Buzz!
I didn't notice anything in or on the floor area but I didn't really look.
I'm not worried yet as we are not taking delivery until the middle of April.
They have plenty of time to make it right. So problems identified and now we see what they do. When I go to pick it up, I'm going to make sure the slides are working perfectly.

Chris, Diana and Miss Kitts 😼
2015 Sanibel 3601
Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 PM   #8

We had the same issue with our slides, Our delivery dealer didn't know how to make the correct adjustment to the slides and actually made it to worse. We took it up to Indiana and they adjusted and lubed the slides correctly, It was actually contacting the fiberglass on the side of our Sanibel and rubbing the trim and decals off. When we got it back from the dealer, there was actually a 2.5 inch drop from the main floor to the slide. The people in Indiana told me that the hydraulic ram was actually bowing. They went the wrong way with the adjustment. Hopefully your dealer knowledge of how to make the adjustments. We love our Sanibel 3601- 2015, we've been full time RV'N since April 2014, Prime time has been very helpful and stands behind their products. Recommend changing your tire out for the Goodyear G614's. The Marathon tires are over rated and do not hold up. Happy trails and welcome to the Sanibel family
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

Jimmyt - I can see where we're not alone in having slide problems, nor problems with the dealer who sold our units to us :/ I should probably start another thread entitled "We got your money, now go away". That pretty much says it all in regard to the dealer we purchased from. Unfortunately, on the day of delivery, we believed a service tech who told us the bedroom slide "just needs a little adjusting", that it was easy to fix, and we should go inside and sign our contract. He was wrong, and when we went outside to look at the slide before we were to tow it off the lot, we discovered we'd owned a major problem that an hour earlier belonged to Prime Time and/or the dealership. We'd paid a $877.00 fee for "Setup" and a $997.00 fee for "PDI", but apparently no one at the dealership had taken the time to look at the condition of the unit after it had been delivered to them in Oct. or Nov. - There were multiple problems in addition to the slide, some of which we noted that day, but most we didn't see in the short amount of time they allowed for our original PDI. The next time we went to the dealership, after they said the slide was fixed, we took a licensed, certified RV Inspector with us. We were allowed more time for the PDI and we discovered then that most of the problems we'd noted the first time weren't corrected. We, and the inspector, spent 4 hours going over every inch of the unit and found even more problems from unsealed roof seams to 3 windows that were stuck closed. Some bordered on the ridiculous. The dining table was mounted so close to the large window that the shade would only extend down to the tabletop. Other things were more worrisome and we've discovered were a precursor to one of the large slides malfunctioning. Bottom line: quality control at the factory was minimal and totally non-existent at the dealership. So, because of this, we're unable to go camping even though we live in Florida where the weather is perfect for it. Did I mention we traded in our Winnebago t.t. when we bought our Sanibel? Had we not been duped into signing a contract on Feb. 10, we'd at least have had that until all the repairs were made. And, Prime Time wonders why we're angry with the dealership and want to take it elsewhere for further repairs? Who wouldn't be?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #10

Jimmy, thanks for the info. As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to give the dealer the opportunity to fix them. What bothered me was that the tech said that the slide operation was normal. I've had two 5th wheels and a motorhome and never had a problem like that. Even the fit of the wheel opening moulding is so far out that it should be a clue that something is not right. But he said nope, that's the way it is. So I'm not gonna argue. My salesman is a personal friend. I started texting him before we were even done the walk through. So, we will see what goes. I looked at the G614 and I am going to switch them out for sure. We will be parking the unit in Palm Springs for the first few years then maybe start travelling. So while its sitting, I'll just leave the originals on.

Mary Ann, I'm so sorry about your issues. It takes the enjoyment out of the purchase and anticipation of using it. It sounds like Prime Time is going to make it right. That is what matters to me. We looked our unit over very closely and everything else looked good. We are still excited and very happy overall with it. I hope it all works out for you.
Please keep us posted!

2015 Sanibel 3601
Old 03-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #11

I can agree with all on quality issues. I feel that if the delivery dealer should be rated like automotive industry, where as you score your dealer on service and sales. I believe that the RV industry should come to these standards. This is a multi billion dollars industry. WE the consumer have rights and the only way we can change things is by the almighty dollar and making our voices be heard to the industry. It's not going to happen overnight, just like the automotive industry. I feel that after the sale. Services stop. In our case Their wasn't even service during the sale. The F.I person was rude, salesman did keep us informed about when he was getting shipment of our unit. We contact Prime time and we knew before the dealer. It's the way people want and respect for you the customer. I worked as a Automobile technician. For over 35 years. Did I make mistakes? Yes I did. But I did my absolute best to correct the problem, I took great pride in my work, if I had a customer return with a issue, It was put in front of everyone else. It about professional services. Not just for the initial sale. Our word of how we are treated travels faster than how much advertising they do. Expecially in our case, . Where they didn't get it right the first time. They should put your unit in a priority status. Everyone who works at the Dealer, from your salesperson, service manager, part's department. To the guy who is responsible for the repairs. Sorry for my babbling. But you get the idea.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #12

You're in Edmonton? No wonder you're not in a hurry to pick up your rv! Hopefully it's not stuck in a snowdrift Seriously, I know you're still cold up there. We're huge hockey fans and watch a lot of different teams on NHL CenterIce. If you're Oilers fans, I wish you better luck next season. I know it's little consolation but you might win the Conner McDavid or Jack Eichel Sweepstakes
Old 03-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

Yep. Edmonton it is. Up until yesterday, it was beautiful. Now back in the cold and snow again. We like hockey as well but not an Oilers fan.
Can't wait to get out there camping. 😊
Freedompm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #14

Jimmyt - I wholeheartedly agree! What to do though? Here in Florida, rv buyers at some dealerships have come to expect being treated rudely, or in our case, ignored. And because we have all the snowbirds here right now, service at any dealership is a long time coming. Of course, people who are living in their rv for the winter or full-timers who have no place to go (and are forced to stay in a hotel while theirs is being repaired) should be first in line. I feel buyers like us should be next because we've never had a chance to use ours. We don't know what else might fail until we take a 'shakedown trip' with it, so we risk having to return it for repairs again and again. 3-6 weeks is the average repair time here for a major problem with some repairs taking as long as 4-5 months. That's a long time to wait and certainly would not happen in any other industry. We're new retirees, and we're spending time waiting for something brand new so we can go camping, all the while racking up expenses for storage, insurance, cancelled reservations, and for us, our first payment next week. Life isn't fair, for sure, but when you buy something new, you do have certain expectations of it being in usable condition. Prime Time might be a wonderful company full of caring employees, and certainly a 2 year warranty is nice, but I would like to ask them "If you didn't have time to do it right the first time, where will you find time to fix it the next time?".
Old 03-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #15

I wish there was some way to add a PDI .pdf to my post. I received it from a small dealer in Alabama who created it to use with his customers. (He'd read my Facebook RVing posts about our problems.) The list takes 4 hours to complete but it's very, very thorough (12 pages long). We would never have thought to make sure the black water tank was sealed tightly or might even be completely blocked, that the water heater worked on both electric and propane, that the gaskets around windows and door(s) were doing their job, that the tank gauges were indicating correctly, etc. We used the list for the second PDI, as well as our inspector's list, and found 12 seperate items that needed attention in addition to the ones we found the first time. None were merely cosmetic.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #16

You nailed it Jimmy!
I too am in the auto industry. (Parts Manager / Partner)
If we tried to deliver a unit with the type of issues that our units have, we wouldn't be in business long. There has to be a commitment from the manufacturer to ensure quality. I don't understand how this is allowed and accepted as normal.
Failing that, the final responsibility then lies with the dealer. It appears that no one is really concerned with what the out the door product is like. As long as it looks nice and no major issues are discovered, move it out! I think they accept the fact that there will be issues and they will deal with them then.The only thing we can rely on now is that Prime Time will make it right. Until I know otherwise, I'm going to hope for the best.

2015 Sanibel 3601
Old 03-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #17

We too are in a (new) business where quality is vital and good customer service is absolutely necessary. Hubby is a retired Navy pilot and just retired after 23 years with the FAA as an Operations Inspector. At one time I worked as a Maintenance Secretary for an aircraft repair station and have been a private pilot for 35 years. We're a bit anal about reliability and safety, as you can imagine. We're also subject to being sued if we do our job incorrectly, not to mention the possibly getting someone killed. - We weren't expecting the same type of quality control from an rv manufacturer that we're accustomed to within the aviation industry, but as you have, we discovered the rv industry has been allowed to sell products that are either poorly designed or lacking in even basic quality control. And some of the dealerships, like the one we bought from, don't care what they're selling and have a "We have your money, now go away" attitude. - I'm sincerely trying to believe Prime Time will make this right for us.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #18

I do have to say, my dealer has been attentive. They have not ignored me nor brushed off concerns. When I mentioned the slide issue, he said that was the way it was. I didn't accept that and he said he would look at it. It's marked on our delivery sheet so that we can revisit it. Now that this seems to be a concern for other owners, they will work before I take it. So I'm not too worried yet. I guess my issue with this whole thing is that it seems you have to be assertive to make your point rather than it just being looked at when noted.

2015 Sanibel 3601
Old 03-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #19

Went shopping today for a few accessories at two of the other rv dealers in our area. Talked to a salesperson at each and told them about our Sanibel. It's possible, after the slides are fixed and with of course a loss on our part, that we might trade ours in on a more reliable brand. It's days like today, when we drive down the interstate and see all the rvs moving down the road, that we're so sorry we didn't buy one of our first two choices. We'd be leaving tomorrow morning with our grandkids for a 1 week trip to Fort Wilderness (Disney campground) instead of sitting at home thinking we'd made a huge mistake. Sigh...
Old 03-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #20

Mary Ann.
So sorry that it has come to this for you. It must be very disappointing. 😞
Are you determined to move to a different unit even of all issues are resolved?
If so, I wish you the best! Hopefully, all can be fixed and it turns out to be all you were expecting.

2015 Sanibel 3601

Tags
sanibel, slide