Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #11

WOW......FIVE GIRLS !!!!!!! Had to be a handfull. Glad you had a great weekend...all things considered. And the extra drive to get the MH so that the whole family could be there was worth it. Sounds like Lil Dude is going to get spoiled alot!!

With that much wind and rain, I don't think any seal that is designed to flex and move is going to be able to keep everything out. I had mine home to de-winterize and take care of a few "punch list" items this past weekend. TT was not level (tongue and street side high) and we had rain all day Friday while I worked inside. I saw no water leaks from the wardrobe slide (but, we had little or no wind). The only water I had was when I tried to repair my "no hot water" at my outside docking station. I found the hot hose in the access panel kinked. I cut out the kink and tried to re-clamp the hose to the faucet bib, water squirted all over, cleaned that up, tried a bigger clamp, cleaned up that mess too. Went to Lowes and purchased new "pinch clamps" and a $38 pinch clamp tool and finally got it right . So, now, I have the right tool for the next time. If anyone needs it, pay the airfare and I'll come out and fix it

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #12

[QUOTE=rracer5;99303]WOW......FIVE GIRLS !!!!!!! Had to be a handfull. Glad you had a great weekend...all things considered. And the extra drive to get the MH so that the whole family could be there was worth it. Sounds like Lil Dude is going to get spoiled alot!!

With that much wind and rain, I don't think any seal that is designed to flex and move is going to be able to keep everything out.QUOTE]

I'm thinking the same thing about the seals during high winds and rain.
The first water I saw was after some hard winds and heavy rains and as I mentioned the trailer was unlevel, tongue and street side high. It might have amounted to a ¼ cup of water in all. The water I found at the campground might fill a thimbel and we had some very hard winds and heavy rain the night before.
I'm not really trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but I know water shouldn't be there and I would rather be safe than sorry.

I have done myself proud when it comes to spoiling my 4 grand daughters. I may just out do myself with Lil' Dude!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #13

I took a few more pics this evening. Maybe these pics will give those who aren't familiar with my slide and idea of what I'm seeing.

This first pic is the left corner of the slide inside the trailer. On the floor between the slide and the shower stall is where I found the water. When my wife first saw the water she was loading the trailer and the shower had not been used.

This pic shows how the slide sets above the floor.

This pic is an overall view of the outside bottom of the slide.

This last pic shows the bottom outside right corner. Sorry about the pic being out of focus. In the corner you can see there is no seal. I believe this is where the water is getting in.

The whole bottom length of the slide is recessed couple of inches in order to house the three rollers the slide rides on while moving in and out. I can feel along the bottom and everything is sealed well except in the corners.

As I mentioned we had high wind with 60+ mph gust. Very heavy rain at times. I think the rain entered the "channel" at the bottom of the slide and with the tounge high it drained to the right corner and entered the trailer at that point. It's something I need to be aware of, but it's like everything has to be just right for it to happen.

I think the few drops I seen while camping could have come from shower use rather than a leak and the small amount I found when I got home was from the slide being wet when I ran it in.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #14

I had the same problem with my bedroom wardrobe slide in the hard rain. The bathroom floor had about a quart of water on it. I looked at it outside and inside and concluded the water was getting behind the seal by following the side of the slideout down to the tracks that are fastened on the side. The water was dripping on the floor at the bottom toward the rear of the trailer aside of the shower. Today I spent 4 hours installing slide toppers to cure the problem. I do not believe that slide toppers are not needed because of this reason and some others.
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB449 View Post
I had the same problem with my bedroom wardrobe slide in the hard rain. The bathroom floor had about a quart of water on it. I looked at it outside and inside and concluded the water was getting behind the seal by following the side of the slideout down to the tracks that are fastened on the side. The water was dripping on the floor at the bottom toward the rear of the trailer aside of the shower. Today I spent 4 hours installing slide toppers to cure the problem. I do not believe that slide toppers are not needed because of this reason and some others.
Thanks for the info Keith. Maybe I'll have to check into some slide toppers, but how will they keep the rain from running down the side of the slide? Do you think it will lessen the amount of water by diverting what runs off the top over the outside end of the slide rather than the sides?
I have had my slide out during rain before, but this was the first time I found any water on the inside of the trailer. The worst was only about ¼ of a cup.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #16

The slide has a flange around the outside and it is 3 inches wider than the actual slide. When you order toppers you make sure the fabric covers to the outside of the flange so the fabric is 3 inches longer than the top of the slide. The topper sits a few inches off the top so it is really hard to get the water to blow onto the top but it will blow onto the sides it the wind is really blowing hard. But the quantity of water will not be flowing down the sideas as it would without a topper. I had a class A Motorhome before this fifth wheel with them on and never had a water problem.
They also keep the sun off the top to keep it cooler and keep all the tree dirt off the top that gets trapped in the seals if you don't go up and clean them off before you leave. Some people complain that they are noisy in the severe wind but I never experienced that and have camped along the ocean many times.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #17

Upon re-reading my post a clarification is needed. The flange is 3 inches wider than the actual slide-out on both sides so the fabric is actually 6 inches wider in total than the width of the slide without the flange included. Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #18

Thanks. That all makes sense.
What brand of toppers did you purchase? I haven't checked into them so I don't know if one brand is better than another.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #19

I did my research on the internet by going to the mfg sites A&E, Carefree of Colorado. Then searched online for pricing. Pricing online can be pretty attractive but the toppers are not easily shipped due to the size and the online stores charge pretty hefty freight charges. I then contacted the closest larger RV dealer parts center and asked them to quote me a price to buy them. I went with the Carefree of Colorado as they seemed to be constructed better and they have, if you go with the Carefree Side Kover II (Carefree SideOut Kover II) a wind deflector to help with the flapping. I don't have the exact price and sizes here but If you are interested I can get them for you tomorrow. The total material cost for all three was around $800 and an afternoon of my time.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #20

I just checked the catalog I got from my dealer on the Carefree Slide Kover II and with the usual discount they give me, The two I believe that would fit my slides would run approx $650. Maybe I can talk them down a bit in price.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4