Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #21

Sorry to hear about your trouble,guess we're not alone out here We have had alot of wind but very little rain not enought to get inside anyway..but the rain we did get I put the awing out about 10 inches and the rain came in the door??? the seam for the awing is right over the door...think both of us still need to talk to Prime Time???
2011: 365
2012: 365
tbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50
I just checked the catalog I got from my dealer on the Carefree Slide Kover II and with the usual discount they give me, The two I believe that would fit my slides would run approx $650. Maybe I can talk them down a bit in price.
Sounds about right. If you are going to tackle it yourself, let me know if you have any questions. I am on my cell phone now as we are getting a severe T-Storm and no power.
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbritt View Post
Sorry to hear about your trouble,guess we're not alone out here We have had alot of wind but very little rain not enought to get inside anyway..but the rain we did get I put the awing out about 10 inches and the rain came in the door??? the seam for the awing is right over the door...think both of us still need to talk to Prime Time???
I have the same problem. I contacted PT about it. A little caulking should take care of it, but one heck of a place to put a gutter seam without caulking. Right in the middle of the door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB449 View Post
Sounds about right. If you are going to tackle it yourself, let me know if you have any questions. I am on my cell phone now as we are getting a severe T-Storm and no power.
Thanks. I may do that. Since you've already done it I'm sure you know some tricks that would come in handy. At least that's the way it goes for me. After I do some project for the first time I always wish I could start over using what I just learned!

Hope the storm passes without any major problems. Stay safe!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #24

A friend of mine that has much more experience at camping than I have, told me not to wax the sides of the slideouts but to just clean them as the wax can affect both the tightness of the seal and can cause the seals to flop as Lou mentioned. When we pick-up our fifth wheel earlier this year our dealer also told us to use a product on the seals to keep them soft.
Michigan-traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #25
WJC

Sorry to hear your trip was all wet, we also headed out, went to Gettysburg, PA, going to stay at Gettysburg campground, got there and the campground was washed out! The seals you showed are actually wipers that wipe water and debree off your slide when sliding in or out. I was told by Brandon thats all they do! I also thought they were seals and questioned the way the seals [wipers] were facing when the slide was extended, the wipers were facing inward would not flip, and I thought they were not working properly! The seals should be on back of slide where unit makes contact with slide frame in trailer when opened and the second set should be on the slide it self for closing. I had a similar problem, my slides were leaking when the slides were closed. Primetime installed Larger seals and this problem was solved, when open no problen so far! Good luck Tracer 3000 BHD
WJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #26

Thanks for the tip Michigan-traveler. I haven't thought of that before, but it makes sense.

WJC, the wipers are working properly and I checked the best I could behind them and everything seems to be working as designed. The only place I saw that water could be getting in is in the corners under the slide. Outside and underneath, the right corner had water up to the roller. As I mentioned before, I believe the heavy rain and high winds blew water into the "channel" that the rollers sit in.
I have not seen any leaks anywhere in the trailer with the slide closed. I check after washing and after it rains.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #27
Commercial Member

These have been interesting posts - thanks all for sharing. I would comment that the bottom of this particular slide has a "track" with a small "leg" that sticks up and acts as a dam against water penetration. Where the rollers are located, we cut the track slightly so that the "leg" doesn't get caught in the roller. It is certainly possible for water to be blown over this reduced leg at a roller during high winds.

I wasn't aware of the seam over the door on the 303. Duh. Again, thanks for sharing.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #28

After reading through this thread again I remembered one thing. I said I found just a small amount of water on the floor at the campground and again at home. I know the slide was wet when I ran it in for the trip home and I'm sure that's the cause at that time. Then I remembered just before we went to the bath house for safety I ran the slide in because of the water my wife had found at home. Since it was about the same amount and location of what I found after arriving back home, I believe the water I found at the campground was due to the slide being ran in.
So I now believe the only time it leaked was at home during high winds and heavy rains when the trailer wasn't level.

RV Guy, it would be great if you could relocate that seam. It still needs to be caulked though.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #29
Commercial Member

We know the "tracks" on the side of the slide room hold a little water (1/4 - 1/2 cup maybe?) so if they are "full" when you bring the slide in, you will get some water spill. We see this everyday during our Rain Bay test.

I'm traveling this week, but I've already sent an email back to the office on relocating the seam.

Free Wi-Fi at the Kansas City airport - yippee! Airports stink compared to RV'ing !!!
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote