Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #1

50amp

I was wondering if you go to a camp ground,and all the have is 30 amps,and your RV is 50 amps, what can,and can not operate. My camper has one A/C ,but prewired for a second one.
071567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #2

You can run everything, just not all at once. You'll do well to run your water heater on propane and you may or may not be able to run your A/C and microwave at the same time. Other than those limitations you'll be just fine.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 AM   #3
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
You can run everything, just not all at once. You'll do well to run your water heater on propane and you may or may not be able to run your A/C and microwave at the same time. Other than those limitations you'll be just fine.
One more "limitation" I might throw in would be a hair blow-dryer. Those things running at the same time as the A/C or microwave is almost certain to blow a 30-amp fuse.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

I have the same setup, generally the second a/c unit is what makes the 50 amp service. As long as you don't have the second unit you should be fine. The other guys are right though, running m/w and say elec w/h can trip it.
nsoleo113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoleo113 View Post
I have the same setup, generally the second a/c unit is what makes the 50 amp service. As long as you don't have the second unit you should be fine. The other guys are right though, running m/w and say elec w/h can trip it.
X2 - with the exception that you have 15k AC unit vs a 13.5 you basically the same as every other person out there towing TT. My previous Jayco TT was this way as well and could run everything just fine. Adding the second AC unit is where the 50 amp service normally comes into play. All that said, if your rig has a residential refrigerator or washer/dryer then you could be limited. A residential refrigerator can pull a few amps every time it starts. Obviously if you find that you have the HWH on electric and its in a heat cycle, running the microwave AND your AC tries to start at same time a breaker could trip. Not normal that all three would happen at once but could. In that case turn off the hot water heater or switch it to propane until done with the microwave.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote