Originally Posted by BigTJohn
@Herk - Is the hitch easily removeable from the bed? Two parts or one heavy one?
I covered this once before in a previous post. However it has been a while since it was asked so here goes.
It is just me getting it in and out. I typically leave it in since there is only a a few months when I would not need it (but it is winter and the weight allows my 2WD some rear traction.
There ARE times when I need a smooth bed. It takes me exactly 15 minutes to have a clean floor and I am a weak old man.
1) I hook up the camper
2) I pull the cotter pins holding the main Superglide hitch to the Superglide rails
3) I lower the landing gear on the camper until the front edge of the Superglide hitch clears the rail.
4) I use a long pry bar on the back end of the hitch body to "pop" the hitch off the back rail and continue raising the camper until the hitch is clear of the rails.
5) Drive out from under the hitch
6) Pull 4 more cotter pins
7) lift the rails off the floor and carry both (weakling remember) to the garage
8) rotate the 4 body pins 90 degrees and remove.
9) examine my completely bare floor (except for 4 2 inch holes). Even they can be plugged with a Ford plastic bumper plug that snaps right into the hitch mount receivers.
Putting it back in takes just as long reversing the above.
Note - These are Herkbrary photos and not my truck. Anyone who has ever seen a photo of what my bed looks like loaded for camping knows why I am reluctant to remove all that junk and my hitch in the winter.