Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

5th wheel hitch

I have a new F150 FX4 Super cab 6.5 bed. I am looking for a “no slide” 5th wheel hitch. I had a pullrite superglide 12K hitch and hated it. Was looking at the Reese 15K standard hitch. I have a Primetime 270ret Crusader 5th wheel. I should have no problem clearing the cab of the truck with the 5th wheel. I have talked to three other people with the same trailer/truck set up. One was the owner of a RV dealership. He said that he has never used a slide hitch , and has always had a 6.6 bed. He was the one that recommended the Reese 15K hitch.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

I haven't had any experience except with my Curt. I have the slider, and have really never had a "need" for it, but I have used it, and I feel better having it, just in case.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

I'm using the Reese R16 with my 2012 F-150 and think it works great. I'm a "newbie" with a 5th, so ease of use was important. The R16 has a good control handle, tilts to easily accept the connection on uneven ground and the green pin indicator insures things are seated correctly before you try to lock it down. Removing the head from the bracket, the two sections are light enough for 1 person to lift in or out of the truck bed.
ColoradoKampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

The first time the camper tries to pass you in a panic stop you will wish you had a SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch.

Superglide Fifth Wheel Hitches and accessories from tweetys.com

The superglide will keep your camper from crushing your cab if the worst happens by automatically moving the camper's king pin aft to make room.

The unique pin latch positively retains the king pin and is easily check for engagement.

I know it is expensive, but well worth the money and their support after the sale is "best in category" in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50029n.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	22787   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0526.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	22788   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0527.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	22789  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKampers View Post
I'm using the Reese R16 with my 2012 F-150 and think it works great. I'm a "newbie" with a 5th, so ease of use was important. The R16 has a good control handle, tilts to easily accept the connection on uneven ground and the green pin indicator insures things are seated correctly before you try to lock it down. Removing the head from the bracket, the two sections are light enough for 1 person to lift in or out of the truck bed.
If I didn't buy my Pullrite (works awesome) this is the only fixed Reese hitch I was going to buy...appears to be a nice product.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKampers View Post
That’s what I have read about Reese. That’s what I am looking for " ease of use". The Pullrite, I have has to many moving parts and weighs a ton. What bed size do you have ?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
That’s what I have read about Reese. That’s what I am looking for " ease of use". The Pullrite, I have has to many moving parts and weighs a ton. What bed size do you have ?
If this was for me it is in my signature block.
A short bed (6.5 feet) 2500 (3/4 ton class)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

If this was for me it is in my signature block.
A short bed (6.5 feet) 2500 (3/4 ton class)
X2...don't get any easier than Pullrite...

Back into hitch, here jaw latch, handle draws/locks in automatically...your done.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #9

How about the B & W hitches? My buddy bought the companion because his truck already had the gooseneck ball in it but I see they make a standard rail mount unit as well. The jaws on his look pretty beefy and he said its easy too hook up to.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
How about the B & W hitches? My buddy bought the companion because his truck already had the gooseneck ball in it but I see they make a standard rail mount unit as well. The jaws on his look pretty beefy and he said its easy too hook up to.
Also great fixed hitch

Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

I have the b&w companion, easy to use. Very heavy duty.

Worked on truck with one that was in use durring a wreck- the tv rear ended someone-. Tore the crap out of the hitch, bed, toolbox, and broke the back glass, but hitch held together and kept trailer from going into the cab. The under side parts ( the turn over ball kit) were still useable, but insurance payed for all new hitch, so I sold it on CL.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I have the b&w companion, easy to use. Very heavy duty.
I agree. Plus the set up is such that there are no rails in the bed after removing the companion.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
Let me say proudly - the B&W is the best hitch I've ever used.

Now, let me admit - this is my first fifth wheel & towing.

Seriously though - there's nothing I dislike about my B&W Turnover Ball and Companion hitch (well, the original price was a little hard to swallow - about $2k into it with parts and paying someone for the installation).
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #14

My Reese R16 is mounted in the Ford "ultra" short bed, 5'7". There are pics and more information on my blog: Hitch Notes or, let me know if you have more questions.
Days in the RV - 2016:126; 2017:144; 2018:316; 2019:164
ColoradoKampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #15

@Herk - Is the hitch easily removeable from the bed? Two parts or one heavy one?
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #16

B&W has been great for me. Local dealer matched a price I found on-line, installed the turnover ball myself so I am into it for about 1400 total. I have a 6'6" bed, ball is mounted directly over the rear axle and I have the companion adjusted fully forward in the mounting holes. I haven't hit the cab yet (knock on wood)and I have pulled into some tight areas off forest service roads in the Bighorn Mts. In my opinion B&W is worth the extra $.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
there's nothing I dislike about my B&W Turnover Ball and Companion hitch (well, the original price was a little hard to swallow - about $2k into it with parts and paying someone for the installation).
I had two different price quotes for my B&W. The first was almost $2K. The second was from a small truck parts company out in the country and was $1,300 and this included installation. Must be a huge mark-up for some distributors.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
@Herk - Is the hitch easily removeable from the bed? Two parts or one heavy one?
I covered this once before in a previous post. However it has been a while since it was asked so here goes.

It is just me getting it in and out. I typically leave it in since there is only a a few months when I would not need it (but it is winter and the weight allows my 2WD some rear traction.

There ARE times when I need a smooth bed. It takes me exactly 15 minutes to have a clean floor and I am a weak old man.

1) I hook up the camper

2) I pull the cotter pins holding the main Superglide hitch to the Superglide rails

3) I lower the landing gear on the camper until the front edge of the Superglide hitch clears the rail.

4) I use a long pry bar on the back end of the hitch body to "pop" the hitch off the back rail and continue raising the camper until the hitch is clear of the rails.

5) Drive out from under the hitch

6) Pull 4 more cotter pins

7) lift the rails off the floor and carry both (weakling remember) to the garage

8) rotate the 4 body pins 90 degrees and remove.

9) examine my completely bare floor (except for 4 2 inch holes). Even they can be plugged with a Ford plastic bumper plug that snaps right into the hitch mount receivers.

Putting it back in takes just as long reversing the above.

Note - These are Herkbrary photos and not my truck. Anyone who has ever seen a photo of what my bed looks like loaded for camping knows why I am reluctant to remove all that junk and my hitch in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	22936  
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #19

as a person who had rubbed his back window with the 5th wheel in my old 6.5' ford, would only use a slider, you may never need it but on the other hand it could save a vacation for you if there is no possible way to get into the last site at your favorite campground without that extra few inches
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I covered this once before in a previous post. However it has been a while since it was asked so here goes.

It is just me getting it in and out. I typically leave it in since there is only a a few months when I would not need it (but it is winter and the weight allows my 2WD some rear traction.

There ARE times when I need a smooth bed. It takes me exactly 15 minutes to have a clean floor and I am a weak old man.

1) I hook up the camper

2) I pull the cotter pins holding the main Superglide hitch to the Superglide rails

3) I lower the landing gear on the camper until the front edge of the Superglide hitch clears the rail.

4) I use a long pry bar on the back end of the hitch body to "pop" the hitch off the back rail and continue raising the camper until the hitch is clear of the rails.

5) Drive out from under the hitch

6) Pull 4 more cotter pins

7) lift the rails off the floor and carry both (weakling remember) to the garage

8) rotate the 4 body pins 90 degrees and remove.

9) examine my completely bare floor (except for 4 2 inch holes). Even they can be plugged with a Ford plastic bumper plug that snaps right into the hitch mount receivers.

Putting it back in takes just as long reversing the above.

Note - These are Herkbrary photos and not my truck. Anyone who has ever seen a photo of what my bed looks like loaded for camping knows why I am reluctant to remove all that junk and my hitch in the winter.
Herk,

I think the " HERKBRARY" needs it's own web site or even a blog. It would be one of my favorites for sure. GET ON it will ya? LOL
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel