Old 08-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #21

Goodyear.com recommend that maximum cold tire inflation for all travel trailers. Has a ton of information. I also replaced our Marathons with the G614's tires, much-needed and after 3 blow outs within a week, We haven't had tire issues since the update.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbs1955 View Post
I just put on 4 Michelin LT 235/85/R16 Load Range E on my 15,000 fifth wheel and pulled it around from TX-OK-KS-MO-IA-IL-IN-OH-KY-TN-AL-MS-LA and back to TX this summer and had no problems at all. Got them from Discount Tires for just over $800.
Discount tire quote; “Make sure the tire has load carrying capacity equal to or greater than what the vehicle placard suggests. Verify that the rim width range is appropriate for the tire to be installed. Confirm that the tire-to-vehicle clearance, lock-to-lock steering and suspension clearance is such that no rubbing occurs.”

It’s in this document; http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSelectRightTire.do

This Michelin document follows tire industry standards.

Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US

Like to see another one? Same standards written by another tire manufacturer.

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Load Capacity

Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #23

I appreciate the input of the several tire engineers that always respond to anything tire related. I have learned several things from their posts. But mostly what I get out of the long rants and educational lessons is that they believe most of us are too ignorant to talk about our opinions that are formed from our real-life experiences, much less pick the correct tires for our rigs and maintain them. My RL experience makes me shy away from tires made in China. Period. I will buy the highest load range LT tires that will fit my rims. I will inflate them to the cold PSI on the tire. This works for me and I have had no problems at all except the occasional road hazard. So when I (or any one else) tell others about opinions based on experiences, it doesn't automatically mean we are ignorant of all the 'RV Tire Rules'.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt11664 View Post
Goodyear.com recommend that maximum cold tire inflation for all travel trailers. Has a ton of information. I also replaced our Marathons with the G614's tires, much-needed and after 3 blow outs within a week, We haven't had tire issues since the update.
how old was your marathons before you replaced them?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

If you are running the highest lr name brand name tire at max cold pressure and it blows or whatever, trying to determine the fault after the fact doesn't change the fact that it or they have to be replaced. The reason for the failure is a moot point. Opinions are like you know what, everyone has one.

Hard to remember if you hit a curb, ran over something, etc. after 1000's of miles.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #26

At 15,000lbs you're almost maxed out on 80psi e-rated tires, so yes, set them cold to 80psi. You might want to consider upgrading to 110psi wheels and g-rated tires.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #27

Kind of excited, upgrading my Blow Maxes to Firestone Transforce HT's tomorrow. Glad to ditch the ST and go to the LT!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
Kind of excited, upgrading my Blow Maxes to Firestone Transforce HT's tomorrow. Glad to ditch the ST and go to the LT!
Great choice in my opinion!! We have had excellent results with our Transforce HTs. Congrats!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
This is the options approved by your trailer’s manufacturer--- “16″ Aluminum Wheels And “E” Rated Tires IPO 15″”.

To understand what that “In Place Of 15” means is to understand tire industry standards.

However, your trailer’s manufacturer can recommend any tire that constitutes what they consider an appropriate fitment on your trailer. Will your trailer’s manufacturer recommend your choice, 95% doubtful. It’s not that your selection is inferior, its all about technicalities for the vehicle manufacturer.

Same thing with the Firestone warranty. Do they view the LT tire a misapplication? Yes! Why? Because it’s not the same construction as the Original Equipment tire. But, it wont hurt to ask.

http://www.firestonetire.com/content...arranty_EN.pdf
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #30

Trailer manufacturers don't recommend LT tires because, doing so, would confirm that the ST tires they choose to put on these trailers are indeed, inferior. Now, there are some ST tires which appear to be up to the task, but they are rarely OEM. For me, I'm replacing the TowMax ST235/80R16 E rated tires with Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT235/85R16 tires after experiencing a blow out on Thanksgiving day.

Tags
5th wheel, pressure, tire, wheel