Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Ac ?

Is the trailer AC supposed to cycle on & off like a house AC system or does it run constantly?
Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #2

Your trailer's AC on/off status is determined by the temperature you set on the thermostat.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #3

Yes, the newer ones do. I had an old popup with a Coleman AC that the compressor cycled on/off but the fan always ran. The AC in our 2011 Rockwood, a Dometic AC unit does cycle completely off.

Now I see that you live in Texas, and just like Florida, the temps during the day seldom drop below 85degrees, so it is not unheard of for the AC to run all the time during the day.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #4

Dometic Digital Thermostat
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	8572
When setting the digital thermostat, start with the fan setting. While using the AC the Auto setting will allow the fan to cycle on/off with the compressor.
In the High or Low setting the fan will run constantly whether the thermostat is set on AC or Furnace, so be sure to set the fan on the Auto setting when using the Furnace.
If you experience condensation while using the Furnace, you can set the fan to the High or Low setting to help with air movement in the trailer.

Use the On/Off button to cycle between Fan/Cool/Furnace. Use the +/- to cycle the Fan between Auto/High/Low and of course to set the temp when using the AC or furnance.

Also note that while using the AC with the fan in Auto mode, if the room temp is 5º or more warmer than the set temp on the termostat the fan will run on high. Once the difference is 4º or less the fan will run on low.
So if you just set up camp and the difference is 5º or more the fan will run on high and once the tt cools off to a difference of 4º or less the fan will stop momentarily, then kick back on running in the low mode.
The first couple of times mine did this I thought I had a problem until I read the manual.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #5

Thanks a lot !! You guys make this kinda overwhelmed maidan voyage soo much easier! It's a major weight lifted off my shoulders knowing that if I get in a pickle I can ask a maybe stupid ? And yall put your kid gloves on and pull me through!
Thanks again!!!
Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #6

IN our rockwood 2011 it has a coleman and the fan runs all the time but the ac cycles as the thermostat demand.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote