Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

Ac heater

I have a question I have been meaning to ask for a while. I have a2015 290rl. It has one ac in the unit. Last fall when I was up on the roof I took off the ac cover to clean the coils for the first time. The model number indicate it has a heater built in.

I have had electric heaters in other ac units with other rigs I have owned but there is no where to turn the heater on in this unit.

It is possible the heater is indeed in the unit but not wired. Has anyone ever looked into this.

My unit has a central gas furnace and the electric fireplace heater so it's not like I get cold. I was just curious to see if the heater is actually in the ac but not wired up

Thanks in advance

Robert
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #2

what is the manufacter and model number of the a/c? with this a quick lookup on the internet will verify what capabilities it has. but it seems strange to me that they would install a unit with both a/c and heat capabilities and not provide a method of utilizing them.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #3

Well I finally got to the fifth wheel. I contacted dometic with my model number for the ac.

To my surprise it does indeed have a heat pump in it. It is not hooked up and not used because the thermostat can only run one heater and it is the gas furnace.

The guys st dometic told me I could add a separate thermostat for the furnace and use the dometic thermostat for the heat pump. Of course the don't know there are enough wires going back to the unit to make it that simple.

Anyhow I now have the manual and directions for wiring up the heat pump they call it in the ac unit.

Mine is model number 541916. Axx1c0

If you have 542916 and not 541915 you have a heat pump. I have no real need to use it but it is interesting that it is there. The model numbers for the ac units change every year. I have a 2015 290rl

Robert
Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #4

weird! why put the unit with the heat pump in and not give you a way to use it? makes no sense. we have two dometic a/c's, one has a heat pump and one does not. they both have dometic thermostats. the one for the a/c with out the heat pump has three settings: fan, cool, furnace (which turns on the propane furnace). the thermostat for the other a/c has four settings: fan, cool, furnace, heat pump. it might be as simple as swamping the thermostat to the one that has the hear pump setting. it may or may not even use the existing wiring (I do not know this) but I quick check of the wiring for the two thermostats would tell you. i'd go back to dometic and ask them about whether you have the right thermostat for the unit.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #5

They wanted to know specifically what thermostat I had. They sent me manuals for the unit and the thermostat.

I'm suprised they did not mention the 4 control thermostat. They recommended a separate one for the gas furnace.

My guess is someone had a deadline, ran out of the proper units and installed what they had in stock. Just a guess though. Beats the other assumption that they had no clue what they were installing.

I don't camp in cold weather. I probably will never hook it up but I was curious about it.

When I get chilled in the evening we turn on the fireplace. Some times we run the furnace but very rarely.

Tags
heater