Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #1

AC unit not cooling

Anyone else had this problem. I thought I had read at least one similar problem but cannot find it now.
1. The AC unit scenarios
a. After it has run a while at a given setting, it will no longer cool. I notice during weekends and mornings after it has been set at given setting for a long period the following will start to occur.
i. The air handler will come on for about 15 seconds then shut off. About a minute later, the air handler will come on again for about 15 seconds and then shut off. This process will repeat until I physically go over and change the thermostat setting.
1. I can lower it one degree and it will then run for 15 or 20 minutes with the compressor and air handler as it should and cool down the unit
2. I can lower it 1 degree and immediately raise it back 1 degree and it will then run for 15 – 20 minutes as it should with the compressor and air handler cooling the unit.
3. One time, I raised it 1 degree and it also came on and ran for 15 – 20 minutes and cooled down the unit as it should.
ii. As of 07/23/2014 – I can bump the thermostat, the unit will cool as it should and then only the air handler will come on for its 10 – 15 seconds until I bump the thermostat again. I woke up at 1 AM, 2 AM, 3 AM, and 4 AM Thursday morning hot, listened to the air handler push air 2 or 3 times and then got up and moved the thermostat to cool it down again. After I got up to go to work, this scenario repeated itself until I left at which time I just turned the unit off completely.

I have worked with the dealer and PT but no resolution yet.

johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

Had the same problem last August. The only difference I had was, at the end of the unit cycling on and off, I would get an error code (E2-"communication error"). After several days of testing and phone conversations with Dometic by my mobile tech, we ended up changing the circuit board on the AC unit. Haven't had any problems since.
rracer5 is online now   Reply With Quote