Originally Posted by Houstonkid
Great info guys. My first two trips this year I dealt with the E1 code. Finally got it in the shop and embarrassingly I found out my filters for the living room unit were super dirty. The unit was not getting enough flow and was freezing up.
Funny you should mention this. Just finished replacing my 4 A/C return vent filters. Went to Lowes and picked up some filter material (polyester) sheets (used for window A/C's) and cut them to fit my vents (just remember to re-staple them to the rigid cardboard reinforcement so they don't get sucked up into the ductwork). 1 sheet will do 3 return vents in a PT product.
BTW....don't get "rubber" filter material, it will grab the screws and tear when you try attach them back up on the ceiling.
Originally Posted by JerryandAudra
So yesterday I went up on the roof and pulled the cover again on the evaporator coil because I was getting condensate leaking down into the air return and into the bedroom. It seems that when the unit over the bedroom is not running the other unit is pushing air back through the evaporator coil and causing condensate to leak into the air return. This also caused the E-1 code to trip on the thermostat. I taped up and zip tied all of the wires and then I resealed the cover on the evaporator coil. I am hoping by doing this with the condensate issue given that we are dealing with hot temps and high humidity.
Jerry, if you're still getting condensate in the return (which is what saturates the communication cable/connections), it could be due to a missing/folded gasket under the A/C unit that is supposed to block airflow between the return and cold air outflow part of the A/C unit. I was told at a RV repair seminar that if the A/C unit was not placed on the roof properly, this gasket could be inadvertently folded/twisted/knocked out of place leaving a space for air to flow between the return and cold air output which causes the condensate to collect in the return and ultimately leak through the ceiling. This gasket runs somewhat diagonally across the bottom of the A/C unit sealing the two sides (front half & rear half) to the roof.
Taping & zip tying the cables up out of the return as much as possible is good. That should solve your communication error issue but, if you still get condensate leaks, then the A/C unit will probably have to be unmounted from the roof & the gaskets under it checked to assure they are sealing the unit properly to the roof.