Old 06-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
I have no vent so it will be a new hole in the roof. Being as my unit is not prepped I assume they will have to add extra supports. I have an appointment next Friday for them to check it out and give me an estimate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

While you're at it I'd suggest seeing if they can give you an additional estimate on converting to 50A. It really shouldn't be any more trouble than replacing the 30a distribution with a 50a one and wiring the second AC to the second leg. Then changing the plug from 30a to 50a.

I've heard some campgrounds only run a total of 30a to the pole for 30a sites so you might not always be able to run that second AC. But if you were a 50a rig, on 50a sites you'd be fine.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
While you're at it I'd suggest seeing if they can give you an additional estimate on converting to 50A. It really shouldn't be any more trouble than replacing the 30a distribution with a 50a one and wiring the second AC to the second leg. Then changing the plug from 30a to 50a.

I've heard some campgrounds only run a total of 30a to the pole for 30a sites so you might not always be able to run that second AC. But if you were a 50a rig, on 50a sites you'd be fine.
I've been RVing for 11 years and have only seen one power pedestal that didn't offer both a 30 amp and 20 amp plug. When we stayed at Flagg Ranch in Wyoming they only had one 20 amp plug on their power poles, no 30 amp, no 50 amp. On the flip side, I've seen plenty of campgrounds that don't offer 50 amp.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I've been RVing for 11 years and have only seen one power pedestal that didn't offer both a 30 amp and 20 amp plug. When we stayed at Flagg Ranch in Wyoming they only had one 20 amp plug on their power poles, no 30 amp, no 50 amp. On the flip side, I've seen plenty of campgrounds that don't offer 50 amp.

I didn't mean to imply the didn't have the plugs. I've seen poles with one 30a plug and two 20a plugs all the time. Only about 1/2 the time do I actually see a separate breaker for those 20a plugs. The other times they're on the same 30a breaker as the 30a plug.

(At least I assumed they're on the same breaker since there was only the one breaker. I never actually dismantled the pole to verify.)
Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #14

Quote:
I had a year 2000 class A with 30 amp service, it came with two roof air's with a rotary switch you could only operate one at a time. However you could operate both if you ran the 5KW generator but that was rarely needed.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #15

In Canada where I camp there might be 1 50 amp site in some parks and none in many. The FT Turbs method is what i would have to use. All Provincial Parks are have 30 amps and some have 2 30 amps so long as your neighbour site doesn't use it. I would uses 30 amp as usual with my 15,000 but main and run a second cable, 15 amp for the second AC only 13,500 BTU . FTR 20 amp are not legal here unless in a kitchen. The 50 amp to a 30 amp and a 15 campground are common here for large rigs. The progressive doesn't work on this and most end up bypassing it when running like this. A KOA would have 50 amp. Where my park model is has 30 amp only, my neighbour has a Cedar Creek Cottage with 50 amp and can not run his second AC at all.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I didn't mean to imply the didn't have the plugs. I've seen poles with one 30a plug and two 20a plugs all the time. Only about 1/2 the time do I actually see a separate breaker for those 20a plugs. The other times they're on the same 30a breaker as the 30a plug.

(At least I assumed they're on the same breaker since there was only the one breaker. I never actually dismantled the pole to verify.)
We must be hanging out in different types of parks and campgrounds. I can't recall ever seeing a single 30 amp breaker for both the 30 and 20 amp outlets.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
We must be hanging out in different types of parks and campgrounds. I can't recall ever seeing a single 30 amp breaker for both the 30 and 20 amp outlets.

Aside from Goshen I'm only booked into KOAs for the rest of the year so I don't know if I'll come across one anytime soon. But if I do I'll be sure to snap a picture.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #18

Here the Parks have 2 30 amp, 2 15 amp and 4 separate breakers 2 30 amp and 2 15 amp. Conservation Areas have 1 30 and 1 GFCI 15 amp with 2 breakers 30 amp and 15 amp. In my seasonal park there are no breakers at the site but at a central panel.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #19

Hmmm. I wanted to add a second A/C unit... I was planning to run a fused service separate 110v plug straight into 110 15/20 service at the pole and just have two plugs if needed in hot months.
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #20

Quote:
X's 2 on that one, This last trip the guy next to me had 2 A/C running. I looked at his cord it was 30 amp. I asked him how he is running both a/c's. He said and and showed me exactly like turbs said. Other wise it's a big deal to change out your wire and everything to 50 amp. Also I can not believe a sales person say's that 1 A/C is enough for Texas or anywhere like Florida during the summer months. Maybe in the winter but not the hot muggy summer months. That's the biggest compliant from RVer's that the A/C's just won't cool during that hot period of day.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer