Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
EL99jl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Aluminum scraps, sawdust?

2011 265BHS.

Is anyone else having issues with small shards, or pieces o aluminum shaking out from various places? I've had the same issue with saw dust.

I thought I had a stereo speaker going bad, rattling sound during play, but upon removing it from the ceiling, found it was full of sawdust. When I stuck my hand up into the hole, I found several handfuls of saw dust. It was easily fixed with a shop vac, but why am I having to do this? I'm curiois if anyone else is experiencing these issues, or if the sloppy shop practices only happened the day mine was built.

The aluminum is somewhat a hazard. I find some of that after it's imbeded into the floor covering and I'm in bare feet.

I bought the unit in September. It's been towed approximatley 10,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Phil
__________________

__________________
EL99jl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
camping
 
tentcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 988
no sawdust in ours - but I did find a lot! of styrofoam behind the DVD player. several screws, small amounts of the aluminum scrap. unfortunately I think it is fairly common to find construction debris in the units.
__________________

__________________

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Member
 
frankm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
no sawdust in ours - but I did find a lot! of styrofoam behind the DVD player. several screws, small amounts of the aluminum scrap. unfortunately I think it is fairly common to find construction debris in the units.
Same here, including sawdust. Even now, after a year of ownership, the occasional chuck of styrofoam will fly out of the A/C vents
__________________
Frank & Rita M
2008 Ford FX2 F-150 3.73 CC 139" WB w/EQ4 WDS
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 2,381
Just imagine, if you could put your personal home on wheels, shake for 1,000 miles of highway bumps, wind, rain, etc., do you know what you would get? Probably a lot worse. I'm not taking up for the factory, they could do a better job of cleaning up. I'm just saying be real, when it gets shaken like a camper going down the road, stuff will settle out.
__________________
LadyWindrider
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
EL99jl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I'm just saying be real, when it gets shaken like a camper going down the road, stuff will settle out.
Some stuff yes, yet not in the quantities I'm experiencing. I did not have this issue in my previous two trailers.
__________________
2011 Primetime 265BHS
2011 F-150 EcoBoost
EL99jl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Member
 
frankm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
stuff will settle out.
windrider, it is not so much as stuff settling out, but more like stuff being "left" behind. Imagine looking under the seats of your brand new car or truck and finding bits and pieces of electrical tape, wires, metal shavings from the metal manufacturing, and an assortment of other kinds of debris. Is this a big deal, absolutely not. Does it speak as to the workmanship and care given, I think yes.
__________________
Frank & Rita M
2008 Ford FX2 F-150 3.73 CC 139" WB w/EQ4 WDS
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,016
Mine still have signs of factory dust but not as bad as I read here. When all the factory dust is gone my trailer will no longer be new. Ever since I removed the screen above the stove to inspect I find little shavings that falls out one piece at a time.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab


Camping History: 37 Trips / 110 Nights / 3162 Miles
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
yvesm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pembroke, NH
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL99jl View Post
2011 265BHS.

Is anyone else having issues with small shards, or pieces o aluminum shaking out from various places? I've had the same issue with saw dust.

I thought I had a stereo speaker going bad, rattling sound during play, but upon removing it from the ceiling, found it was full of sawdust. When I stuck my hand up into the hole, I found several handfuls of saw dust. It was easily fixed with a shop vac, but why am I having to do this? I'm curiois if anyone else is experiencing these issues, or if the sloppy shop practices only happened the day mine was built.

The aluminum is somewhat a hazard. I find some of that after it's imbeded into the floor covering and I'm in bare feet.

I bought the unit in September. It's been towed approximatley 10,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Phil
Yep, sawdust and everything else coming out all over the place. I even found potato chips and a piece of sandwich in the heat duct in the floor! We have a 2011 Rockwood
__________________
2013 Prime Time 230 FBS
Days camped in 2011: 162
Days camped in 2012: April to November
Days camped in 2013: April to....
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Buffalohunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Martinez, CA
Posts: 205
Send a message via Skype™ to Buffalohunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
Yep, sawdust and everything else coming out all over the place. I even found potato chips and a piece of sandwich in the heat duct in the floor! We have a 2011 Rockwood
That is funny. Years ago, I worked for a Ford dealer and did PDI/s. A vehicle came in with a strange noise upon start and stop movements, other wise quiet ride. Turned out someone put a marble in the frame of the vehicle. Very funny, took a while to figure that one out and to find the darn thing. I collected a lot of extra nuts/bolts/screws/rivits/connectors - all left behind by the assemblers.

Jim in Martienz
__________________
Buffalohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Derald1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 19
Having worked in the building trades for years I have found that what you find left behind separates true craftsmen from ordinary construction laborers. It is not acceptable and when you pay the money they ask, it is a big deal. Knowing that it is going to be shaken and stirred by being pulled down the road for thousands of miles in its useful life is all the more reason for better quality control on FR's part.
__________________

__________________
Derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aluminum scraps, sawdust, sloppy installation, sloppy shop practices, sloppy workmanship

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Forest River RV News right to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Forest River news to your inbox

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]