Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #1

Another New Owner - Some questions

Hello Everyone,

Been reading other posts here and everyone seems friendly and cordial. I am retired my wife will retire this year sometime? We use to tent camp when kids were little but my older bones could not handle that any longer so we have not camped in fifteen years or so.

After a near five year search for a travel trailer We are finally the happy owners of new 2011 LaCrosse 305res. This is our first TT ever and are very satisfied. We took delivery at the end of March and made our first trip this past weekend to the beach. Most everything went well grandsons had an “awesome” time only problem was the wind which kept us in for one day. I do have a couple of questions, if anyone wants to chime in I appreciate it.

Radio only seems to work while running on the battery, when on shore power it receives nothing (Dealer should fix this I would think)

The fresh water tank indicated we had one/third left but could not pump anymore out is that normal

The grey water tank was one/third full and the galley tank was two/thirds full does anyone know how the two tanks are emptied with one valve. Everything seemed to empty ok just not sure how to empty two tanks with one valve yet they have different levels.

Anyone have any feelings about slide out stabilizers do they help or just cause problems with the slide out mechanism.

Thanks for any input

Ken
TDewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #2

Sorry I can't really help with your questions but wanted to Welcome you to the forums!
Congrats on your new camper and hope you have many memorable trips with it!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #3

I can try to answer a couple of your questions:

The fresh water tank will work until it gets closed to empty, so your sensor only shows 1/3, 2/3 and full...sounds like you were out of water.

The grey/black tanks are seperate but flow into one valve. You have two pull handles, one for the gray, and one for the black. You should have to pull one or have a swtich for them.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #4

Your radio should work no matter whether you are hooked up or not. I would never use slideout stablizers. They are not needed and would probably damage the mechanism. I believe they recommend against it. Although I do notice that my slideout side actually sinks into the ground more when out (when ground is wet). I camped for 3 nights. Everything was level at set up, by the end of the trip, my trailer was leaning slightly to the slideout side.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

to the forum and congrats on your new Prime Time trailer.

If your 305RES is like my 303RKS, look at where your sewer hose connection is. The black tank pull handle will be just to the left behind the skirting (always dump this one first and when at least 2/3's full).

The grey tank and galley tank handle will be just to the right of the hose connection behind the skirting. These tanks are seperate and I believe they plumb together just before the valve.

Here's a couple of pics.

Sewer Hose Connection

Valve Handles:
Left - Black Tank
Right - Grey & Galley Tanks

Hope this helps and
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #6

and congrats on your new vacation palace

I agree about the radio - it should work no matter how you're hooked up.
No slide stabilizers - they are designed to hold their own weight and then some - you.

The fresh water pick-up may not be near the bottom of the tank (so as not to pick up any sediment that may accumulate over time). And, if you're not level, the pick-up may be out of the water but the sensors may be in deeper water.

As for the galley tank, since it is probably located under your kitchen area and then piped to the single grey valve separately, it may take longer to drain because of the distance and the minimal pitch of the pipe to the valve. And, if you're a little higher on the dump side when you do dump, it may take longer. Even though the flow may have slowed to a trickle, it may in fact not be empty, thus the readings you're getting.

Hope this helps and happy camping.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #7

Get yourself some real chock blocks to stop the RV from moving fore and aft (front to back). I highly recommend BAL's X-Chocks on Campers World and several other sights, show around. The X-Chocks tighten in an "X" formation between the two axles and if the RV want to move forward, by mechanical force it pushes against the other tire to counteract the movement. Neccesary for Boondock camping or on uneven camping spots. They are about $40-50 a piece and would need (2), one for each aside of the RV. Really stops the rocking and ensures the RV will never move even if its on leveler blocks.

Before you dump, have at least 1/2 tank of black or gray water, otherwise your sensors risk being gunked up with toilet paper or food particles and won't read correctly. Always dump your black first and then when completed, close the black and open the gray water valve, this is your shower/sink water and will flush toilet waste out of the drain hose. Use gloves or hand sanitizer to prevent cross contanimination. Human waste is pretty nasty. Always use RV or Scott Single Ply toilet paper as this breaks down with water. Regular toilet paper will plug up your system. Ensure you had additive to the black and even the gray to help with odor and break down the toilet paper and waste.
w7gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #8

Thanks to all for the responses,
I did add water before dumping the black tank and they all seemed to empty OK. Then drained the grey tanks, then used the tank rinse connection and could hear it running, actually it sounded as if there is one on the galley tank (noise coming from kitchen area)also could that be the case?
I do like the idea of the x-chock things.
Again thanks to everyone and Happy Camping
TDewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #9

Here's a link to a thread that might help you with the X-Chocks;
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...les-10992.html
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig. I can highly recommend the X Chocks also, and yes the radio should work on battery only and with shore power connected. Can't help with the other questions, but sounds like your getting some good help from the other members. Post up some pics when you can and happy camping.
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
https://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote