Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Anyone else having some trouble with Power awning?

my 2014 Tracer 2670. I have the power awning, im assuming dometic 9100? Unit is up at camp right now 1.5 hrs away so I cant look... anyways.. awning opens up fine..no issues... when I go to close it after a weekend of use when it gets more then halfway closed it seems to slow right down and has a weird noise to it, almost like it starts shaking a bit to close.. it closes fine but just seems to strain at the end...sometimes if I close it halfway and then open again, it wont do it.
I have one month left in factory warranty.. I hate to waste all he gas and time to pull it way down to my dealer for them to look at.. do you think its possible for me to call primetime and report it, and maybe take a video of it..and then when its at my dealer this fall then they can look and repair if broken?
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #2

Check your track on the camper for obstructions, bends or debris. When it closes, there is a slide that moves through the track. You might want to put some light grease in the track, just a little though.
billster_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #3

Did you by any chance tighten the pitch knobs on it if you did loosen them up it should go away
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #4

I will check the track... and iceblaze, the knobs are loose.. it does sound like they need to be greased... but I cant be certain... where does one grease these? and what kind of grease? I don't want it attracting dirt and such.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #5

Mine did that too. I wiped the slides and the rod on the gas cylinders on each support with some WD-40, the problem went away.
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #6

Grease inside of the track, sides an back only where the insert slides. Dirt could become an issue over time unfortunately.
billster_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by billster_ny View Post
Grease inside of the track, sides an back only where the insert slides. Dirt could become an issue over time unfortunately.
Are you referring to the folding arms as slides? If so, there should be at least 1/16" gap between the sides of the arms where they interlock.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
it is possible the awning fabric has moved to one end of the roller. That would cause the arms to misalign. See of the fabric is centred. This has and does happen to my AE Manual awning on my park model often.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

B and B, actually, If I remember, I think as it rolls up it does go a bit to one side, I don't think its perfectly even, but I don't remember.. is this an easy fix?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
it is possible the awning fabric has moved to one end of the roller. That would cause the arms to misalign. See of the fabric is centred. This has and does happen to my AE Manual awning on my park model often.
If this has happened, extend the awning and slide the material over and make sure it is centered on the roller and then pop rivet thru' the side hem of the material into the roller on both ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	53468  
Old 05-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #11

I'd want to make sure the awning motor is not one of the recalled units (mine was). Details are on this site.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-40619.html

Tags
awning, power