Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #1

Anyone having tire problems?

I think 2 of the 4 tires on out LaCrosse have a slow leak. This is a real problem for us, because we keep the trailer in storage and they move it on/off site, so we cannot make sure the tires are fully inflated when it is moved. We filled them onsite, but after a week of camping two were low, again.

Of course, getting new tires is going to be a real logistic issue.

We got the trailer in June. I doubt they have 100 miles on them.

Crappy tires? bad luck?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I think 2 of the 4 tires on out LaCrosse have a slow leak. This is a real problem for us, because we keep the trailer in storage and they move it on/off site, so we cannot make sure the tires are fully inflated when it is moved. We filled them onsite, but after a week of camping two were low, again.

Of course, getting new tires is going to be a real logistic issue.

We got the trailer in June. I doubt they have 100 miles on them.

Crappy tires? bad luck?
How low do they go after a week ???

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #3

Not me....knock on wood...actually better than my Roo.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #4

When my husband checked them after the trailer was put on site, the front two tires were about 40lbs. After a week (he had already gone home, taking the pump with him) they were probably back down to 40. I could feel the one of them was pretty soft. There wasn't much I could do, and it is only going a couple of miles. We probably need to make arrangements for the service dept to fix or replace those tires before we go back :-(
Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #5

I haven't had any problems with mine. Most pressure changes coincide with air temps.
Hopefully it's something as simple as the valve stems.
Let us know what you find out.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #6

The only way to know for sure what is leaking is to do a water check. First thing I would suspect is bad valve stems or even loose Schrade valves. Next would be bad tires or nails in them. Last thing I would suspect is bad rims.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #7

If they are Chinese tires, I would replace them. It simply isn't worth the risk of having a tire failure.
We replaced ours with Maxxis tires, and upgraded to a higher load rating while we were at it. The Chinese junk the factory put on were minimal at best.
It may seem expensive, but the alternative is far worse.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The only way to check tires, and know for sure is with a gauge. Also you have to check, with the same outside temperature. A tire inflated to 50 psi on a 80 degree day, will read 45 psi on a 40 degree morning. Also, if the tire had 40 psi, I doubt you could feel it was soft. Please don't be offended, but after being a mechanic for many years, it is hard to look at a tire and see 10 psi difference, much less be able to feel it. Also, since you are not towing it, a low tire won't hurt much, as long as it is not flat.

I said all this because the dealer is not going to help you with tires, neither is Forrest River. You will be on your own. Just like the car makers, tire warranty falls to the tire manufacturer. Sorry for your troubles, and good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #9

My suggestion is to take it to a tire dealer. At times the seal can be leaking and just a dismount and remount can correct the problem.

Also while they have the tires off the trailer they will inspect for nails, valve stems etc.

Most likely it has nothing to do with the quality of the tire itself, even though it is an easy excuse.

Think about the variables, confirm or correct them, after that is completed and the tires still leak, you can then blame the tires.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Don't call me Junior!!!

It cannot be stressed enough the importance of air temp. I drive over 50K miles a year and my vehicle's have tire pressure monitors, I can have the tires at proper PSI at 80 degrees and my warning lights will be on the next morning if it falls below 40, it can literally happen in hours if driving from a warm climate to a cold climate.

If that is not the problem than I agree completely with flyrotor, take it to a dealer.