Old 07-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #1

Atwood Oven burning food/but not cooking thru

we have a new 2014 Avenger, and have camped 3 times so far. the oven burns food on the bottom, within 5 minutes and the food is not cooked thru. w have taken it back to the dealer for them to look at it at the advice of Primetime, and the repair shop said they have never heard of that problem and doesn't know what to do to fix it. the Primetime folks told me in an email that the oven wasn't working right and to take it to the dealer and have them fix it. any one else having these issues? I have issues with paying for a new camper and not being able to cook in it

Old 07-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

We put in a Pizza stone to even out the heat.
Works perfect now.

I think this is the one we got.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cook-Pro-1...Stone/16549428
Might be 12 inch though...
I will check tomorrow.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
we have a new 2014 Avenger, and have camped 3 times so far. the oven burns food on the bottom, within 5 minutes and the food is not cooked thru. w have taken it back to the dealer for them to look at it at the advice of Primetime, and the repair shop said they have never heard of that problem and doesn't know what to do to fix it. the Primetime folks told me in an email that the oven wasn't working right and to take it to the dealer and have them fix it. any one else having these issues? I have issues with paying for a new camper and not being able to cook in it
Here is the fix. Get a ceramic tile at Home Depot or Lowes and place it on the very bottom of the cooking area but above the burner. The tile acts as a heat exchange and stores the heat when the burner turns off. We did this with our oven in out Primetime Lacrosse 301 RLS and my wife now bakes everything that she used to in our house. Works great. Give is a try. PM and let me know how it works.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #4

The dealer is full of it. Even the oven manufactures now recommend using 4 6"X6" non-glazed ceramic tiles and to not cover the holes on the shelf above the burner. They clam that oven temperatures will not vary as much and you will use less propane because the oven will take longer to cool down.
We also use a pizza stone and have good luck with it.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #5

Oven burning food

we let the prime time folks know about the oven issue and we have taken the camper to the dealer, if they don't fix it at least it will be recorded that there was a complaint about the oven. after we dropped the trailer off, we went to lowe's, Home Depot, looking for the unglazed ceramic tiles and no one has them now, so we went to Cabela's and found a pizza stone. we will give it a try when we get the camper back. I just feel that the ovens should do better than this one. we've had 3 campers before this one and only one other camper had an issue with the oven, and that was resolved by adjusting the thermostat. this oven has no way of adjusting it
Old 07-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #6

we have checked out the ceramic tile deal, and were told only to use unglazed tiles, because the glazed ones have lead in the glaze. we bought a pizza stone but will keep an eye out for the unglazed tile
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
The trick not burn on --------------------------

The trick not to burn food on the bottom is to wrap the bottom of your pan
with tin foil. This trick came from the cooking channel when using non stick "DARK" coated pans in the oven.

I didn't believe it would work, tried it. Now I believe it. Just simply use tin foil
to wrap the outside bottom of your pan, folding the foil up over the edges.

It works on muffin, flat, square, round pans with the non stick coating.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Well to be honest----------------

Well, to be honest OC, she did see it on the cooking channel. She told me about it, I said it would not work, no way! Well, I had to swallow my manly pride ( you be careful here) after I found out it worked.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Gas ovens (of all kinds - home or RV) are notorious for hot spots and inconsistent heat. Anyone who has ever owned one knows to use a pizza stone or unglazed tile to even out the heating.

The reason is that when the oven calls for heat, it comes on fast, hot, and localized until the thermostat gets hot; then shuts the heat off. Most areas of the oven box do not see the temperature that the thermostat sees. In order to even out heat in a gas oven, you should put the stone/tile in the oven and pre-heat the oven to the correct temperature (using an oven thermometer) and then insert your food. The stone will maintain the temperature between heating cycles and prevent direct flame impact on your container.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Gas ovens (of all kinds - home or RV) are notorious for hot spots and inconsistent heat. Anyone who has ever owned one knows to use a pizza stone or unglazed tile to even out the heating.

The reason is that when the oven calls for heat, it comes on fast, hot, and localized until the thermostat gets hot; then shuts the heat off. Most areas of the oven box do not see the temperature that the thermostat sees. In order to even out heat in a gas oven, you should put the stone/tile in the oven and pre-heat the oven to the correct temperature (using an oven thermometer) and then insert your food. The stone will maintain the temperature between heating cycles and prevent direct flame impact on your container.
Too bad they don't have a low cfm circulation fan in them.