Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #1

Question Avenger 33BHS

Hello all
We are heading out to look at an Avenger 33BHS this weekend and have a couple of questions that I hope some here may be able to answer Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels
The specs seem to indicate a very low CCC at the base level let alone after the Touring Edition upgrades
Base Weight 8,237 lb. (3,736 kg )
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1,352 lb. (613 kg )
If anyone has one of these could you post the real numbers as we are almost 600lbs of people alone on an average camping trip let alone the kit we bring.
The dealer here has offered to replace the accordion doors for the bunk house with a solid wood slider – has any one modified or replace the accordion doors on their camper
The images seem to indicate very small outside storage doors – any comments or issue with these
Any issue with getting heat/AC equalized across the various zones – does the heated underbelly have a big impact on the temp across the trailer – i.e. low heat flow to the areas that share ducting to the underbelly

Thank
sr
Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The ONLY way to know where your at with your unit is making a trip to the scales.

Camper should be loaded ready to camp as well as your tv .

This is the only way to know for sure in your scenario.

Base weight or uvw is worthless as after it leaves the factory this number goes up even higher before you pull it off the dealers lot.
Propane tanks get filled at dealer.
Battery and other items get installed there.

Fyi normal average end user installed weight is 1000 lbs.

You may find you'll have to trim some fat from what you carry with you in your camper.

You definitely DO NOT want to overload especially with such a low ccc trailer.

Scales scales scales.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #3

I agree - the current setup has close almost 2500lbs CCC so this would be a big drop in available capacity with a huge increasing the interior space. Prime Time does not post a GVWR but I have to assume it is ~9500lbs from the info provided - leaving as little as 1000lbs for people and gear or in our case a negative number after full water and people (no towels)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddy View Post
I agree - the current setup has close almost 2500lbs CCC so this would be a big drop in available capacity with a huge increasing the interior space. Prime Time does not post a GVWR but I have to assume it is ~9500lbs from the info provided - leaving as little as 1000lbs for people and gear or in our case a negative number after full water and people (no towels)
You don't add people weight in the ccc of your camper.
Just the items that are there when traveling down the road such as.

Food
Clothes
Chairs
Cooking utensils
Sheets/pillows/blankets
Toiletries

Also keep in mind that your water heater "depending" on size 6 or 10 gallon if you leave it full weighs 40-70 lbs.

Are you planning on dry camping ?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #5

Not dry camping per say - but often electric only so we pull in with fresh water full.
if we take the people weight out the guessed CCC of 600lbs (after water) we could manage - but I don't see how the people weight can be removed from the CCC when we are in there
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Not dry camping per say - but often electric only so we pull in with fresh water full.
if we take the people weight out the guessed CCC of 600lbs (after water) we could manage - but I don't see how the people weight can be removed from the CCC when we are in there
I understand your thinking, but they don't consider at least from my knowledge
"People" as part of the ccc of your camper.
As I've said before the ccc is there for traveling down the road for the axle ratings.

Not sure of your fw capacity but normally its around 30 gallons which is another 180 lbs + and that doesn't include your water heater capacity weight either.

I think your going to have to be very diligent on what you put in your camper and get it to the scales.

Turbs
Old 05-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ccc and people would normally only really apply to a mh.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #8

Quote:

People have no bearing on the ccc of the camper. Since they ride in the tow vehicle, there is no people weight on the trailer.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
Commercial Member

In a PM, I was asked to comment on this thread. As many posters above have stated, the occupants of the TV do NOT count against the CCC of a TT or FW.

Hope this helps.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #10

Thanks all.
CCC= Rolling weight - I was using the term interchangeably with payload which is not listed for this unit

Understanding RV Weights :
Payload is a weight rating. It is the maximum weight that persons plus cargo should never exceed.
sr
Old 06-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #11

Hey sreddy... Did you end up buying that unit?
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
Hey sreddy... Did you end up buying that unit?
Hello Mister - yes we ended up with the 2013 33BHS Touring Edition
Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #13

So tell me about your impressions. I'm currently hauling an aging Keystone Springdale and making plans to upgrade in the off season. I looked at 33BHS "Champagne Edition" this past weekend. I was blown away by the interior but had some of the same concerns as you. Chief among them was the UVW vs GVWR. With only 700lbs of payload they really didn't leave us much to haul around much more than cooking gear, bedding, cleanup items, and toiletries. I can live with that, just have to be smart with what I take and what rides with me I the truck. But how's the interior on summer days? I was amused that the master BR had two AC ducts and the nearly twice as large bunk house had one. How's the natural light? It was a cloudy day here in OH and it was hard to tell how much light you actually got. Any other quarks or "personality" popping up yet? I'm sure you don't want to speak ill of your new baby but I just wondered if you've found anything that made you scratch your head.

Thanks in advance... And congrats on your new rig

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #14

Hello Mister.
Thanks.
As for impressions - We have not been able to get out camping in it yet but have towed it to the fil's twice now. On the first trip I managed to scrape a rear stab jack bending into a pretzel (some what expected)this was due to the clearance and the angle of the driveway and somewhat expected -- but I do understand the rational for the low stabs in the back.
We were going to load / set up but found that 2 slide-outs need slight adjustments (we could see light the the bottom corners when closed so we decided to return to the dealer and get that done before loading up. This is now done the dealer trader the rear stabs for a set of Aluminum Stack Jacks, set of 4 - Camco RV 44560 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
Returned to the fil's this weekend for loading and I can say it has lots of interior storage though exterior baggage doors are a little on the small side but workable. I am glad we had the dealer remove the OEM fan in the bathroom and swap in a MAXAIR Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan it was close to 90 (32C) when loading & the circulation really helped along with having enough room to move about without tripping over people. as for natural light I can't say much as we had the blinds closed and the awning out.
We head out for a whirl wind 300km 5 day 4 night trip this week and will have some usage info then.

I can also say it tows well behind the 2500 but you know you have 9000lbs + and 36feet of camper behind you.

sr
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #15

The first scratch is always the hardest to put on it. Clearance is one of things that worries me actually. My favorite campground has a downhill turn that you have to attack just right. And this is four feet longer that what I'm used to...

Thanks for the input. If you would come back in a few weeks and let me know how your trip goes.

I probably shouldn't own up to this, but I'm actually driving a maxed out F150. With trailer and gear I'd be right on the line. Even if I leave all the "junk" at home, there's going to be at least a 1000lbs difference. It really is A LOT of weight! One the other side of the coin, I really love this floor plan! Tough decisions!

Anyway stay safe and have fun in your new rig.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
So tell me about your impressions. I'm currently hauling an aging Keystone Springdale and making plans to upgrade in the off season. I looked at 33BHS "Champagne Edition" this past weekend. I was blown away by the interior but had some of the same concerns as you. Chief among them was the UVW vs GVWR. With only 700lbs of payload they really didn't leave us much to haul around much more than cooking gear, bedding, cleanup items, and toiletries. I can live with that, just have to be smart with what I take and what rides with me I the truck. But how's the interior on summer days? I was amused that the master BR had two AC ducts and the nearly twice as large bunk house had one. How's the natural light? It was a cloudy day here in OH and it was hard to tell how much light you actually got. Any other quarks or "personality" popping up yet? I'm sure you don't want to speak ill of your new baby but I just wondered if you've found anything that made you scratch your head.

Thanks in advance... And congrats on your new rig
Well maiden voyage complete - my observations ---
  • Well balanced trailer - once hooked to the TV the drive was one handed in moderate winds up to 30kph
  • Rather heavy - once loaded we crossed the scales at 16050 GCWR (+/- 50lbs)
  • Lots of interior storage
  • Nice temps this weekend so we had the windows covered almost the whole time -- but I believe the natural light will be fairly good on the cooler days
  • A/C on its own was inadequate in the 30-35 degrees C days we had but adding a table top fan to the bunkhouse plus running the MaxxAir fan kept it comfortable
  • Great space - 4 teens 15+ 2 adults and we all had our space for the time we were inside
  • I find the sliding curtain doors only a little better than useless - they will be the next things removed - I don't understand why PT didn't just put in wood doors
  • Odd interior power outlets for the kitchen with little counter space - we found the easiest thing was to use the dinette for the prep work
  • The king shower is teen girl approved - do I need to say more
  • The H/W tank allowed for enough showers in a row to just about fill the grey tank -- teen girl approved
  • Must remember this thing has opposing slides when placing it in site could otherwise cause tear down and relocate activities if you forget (remembered before unhooking)
Overall a 6 out of 10 - I am starting to think there maybe a design issue flaw with sealing the slides lower leading edges both sides - I will return it to the dealer the next chance I get to see if they can re-adjust again