Old 08-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Back up Camera's

I just bought a Furrion Wireless Observation System. I am ready to mount it. My question is, do I mount the camera above the middle running light or below the middle running light on the back of the 5th wheel.

My dilemma is, above the running light gives better antenna to antenna connectivity. However at night time I think it would give a blurring or glowing or halo effect from the running light.

Below the running light gives a more obstruction between the antennas but it eliminates the glow of the running light at night.

For those of you that have back up cameras, what are your pro's and cons of mounting above the middle running light verses below the middle running light.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Richard

Old 08-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #2

I have a rear view systems wireless backup camera and its mounted above the running light on a Crusader Lite 30BH. I've had no issues with it being blurry at night or it picking up the glow from the light. I like how it not only helps with getting into campsites but mine is powered off the running light, so I can keep an eye on rear traffic while running down the road.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

I got a system ordered...It is a Furrion NV2200 I found on E-bay new for $35. I am getting a wireless transmitter and a monitor will be out less than a $100. I hope it works.
If I got what I want it would be $400...I don't even have a trailer yet.
Days camped 2016 8 2017 1
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #4

My Flagstaff 29KSWS came prewired for the Furrion system. The mount is below the running lights. I ordered the observation system. From what I have read, it's recommended that it be mounted below because if it's above the running lights then you can get glare. The camera has a very wide angle lens. The mount also shields the camera from the lights above.
Nights camped 2016 - 27

Exlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Are these systems wireless? If so how do the work? Any issues with video quality.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:00 AM   #6

The Furrion system is wireless and uses Bluetooth. Mine came prewired from the factory and is wired to the running lights for its power source. The camera has a very wide angle lens so you have to get used to things being closer than they look on the monitor. The video quality is pretty good but the monitor is a bit on the small side in my opinion at 4.5" diagonally. All in all, I find it very helpful both on the road and while pulling into a campsite.
Nights camped 2016 - 27

Exlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #7

Update: I mounted the camera in place of the middle running light. That way, I did not have to drill a new hole in the back wall. I used the wiring to the running lights to power the camera system. The camera works great. Thank you to all for your input. It seems it didn't matter if it was above or below the light. That and not wanting to drill additional holes in the back wall helped make my decision in replacing the middle running light with the Furrion mount.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #8

R Reese
Excellent plan!!

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera