Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Battery questions. seasonal campers???

I have a 2014 tracer 2670.. this summer we will go seasonal for our first time. If I leave the camper on shore power all summer, and also keep the battery hooked up, will the convertor overcharge the battery or are these campers designed with a trickle charger nowadays?
second question, if one is seasonal and always uses shore power, is it still recommended to keep battery hooked up? actually, I have a slide and I think I need the battery to run it either way, maybe I answered that question....thanks again...
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Always Learning

Your converter shouldn't overcharge your battery- but it wouldn't be a bad idea to periodically check the water levels. It's pretty easy to do depending on how accessible your battery is. (Says the guy who just learned how this winter.)

Converters seem to work best when they have a battery. The WFCO's seem like they're helped more than the Progressive Industries (I think that's the brand). Both usually advertise that no battery is needed. But, IMO- I don't see why you'd worry and disconnect the battery.

Lastly, you mention the slides- I think most seasonal folks just leave their slides deployed all season.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply

yeah, I think we will close the slides when I leave each sunday. I have a slide topper, and don't want water collecting all week ontop...plus, I figure the once per week open and close will help lubricate the slides..
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Site Team

i suggest you get a battery disconnect switch installed, so you don't have to leave it hooked up when you leave for a long time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

We, I and everyone else (at least I've never noticed anybody doing the opposite) at our campground leave our slides out all season long, toppers or no toppers. Some folks stick beach balls under there, some made PVC contraptions, most folks do nothing.

I only disconnect the battery when I bring it home in the fall and then it goes right back on the trickle charger all winter till I hook it back up in April.

It's all good! Hopefully the snow has all melted and won't come back! Although it did snow on opening weekend last year while we were camping. Brr that was a cold day! DW just about froze her a...butt off washing the outside of the trailer down!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #6

As suggested, try putting a beach ball under your slide awnings. That will help with the pooling. I have had a travel trailer on a seasonal site since 2006. I stay plugged in to shore power the whole time and keep my battery connected the whole time. On my trailer with slides, I leave the slides out from late March/early April to late October/early November.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #7

Smile seasonal camper

We are seasonal campers as well. Love it. We just leave the batteries connected but check them occasionally to see if you must add water. As for the slides, again, just leave them out and get up top a few times throughout the summer to clean the roof of leaves etc..We also uase rigid 3" sewer pipe connected to the trailer instead of the regular sewer hose. Enjoy!
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
I have a 2014 tracer 2670.. this summer we will go seasonal for our first time. If I leave the camper on shore power all summer, and also keep the battery hooked up, will the convertor overcharge the battery or are these campers designed with a trickle charger nowadays?
second question, if one is seasonal and always uses shore power, is it still recommended to keep battery hooked up? actually, I have a slide and I think I need the battery to run it either way, maybe I answered that question....thanks again...
Jim.mcgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #8

Leaving your camper on shore and the battery in will be just fine. The converter will reduce its' power out put to a trickle charge when the battery is fully charged. That is, if you have a good battery that will keep a charge. If you check your battery with a volt meter and it tells you that you have 12-12.5 volts, don't automatically think that you have a good battery that will keep a good charge. Even if each cell is full of distilled water, one or more cell could be shorted out and not hold a charge. Check this with a hydrometer. Also take your batt out once a year and take it to a auto parts store and ask them to put a 'Load Test' on it. If you unplug from shore power and plan to be away for a few days, disconnect the battery, as it will slowly run down do to the radio light and the propane and other detectors that run off of the 12v batt. Sitting quietly in your camper you can tell in a way on how your convertor is working. With all lights and all 12v features off, you should hear no sound coming from your converter. The converter in reality is putting out a trickle charge of about 2v. Turn one or two lights on and you may hear a light hum coming from your convertor... the voltage output rate is increasing. Turn 4-7 lights on and the humming will be even louder as the rate of charge increases even more. If you can hear your convertor humming fairly easily with no lights on, and you think that you should already have a good batt. charge..... something may be wrong somewhere and needs to be looked into. What is causing to work harder when it should not be? Converter, batt, or other electrical gremlin?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

I like to keep the battery hooked up in case of power loss with the fridge on auto.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #10

I also keep my battery on while plugged in. We are seasonal
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #11

Bringing your slides in and out every weekend puts tons of wear and tear on the motors, gear racks, rubber seals, and floor support rollers. Leave them extended! It is much easier to clean them once a month than it is to replace broken and worn parts. Cleaning is free!

When you do move the slides in at the end of the season naturally you have to clean the top of slides first. Then spray rubber seals with silicon and gear racks with dry lube. Then bring the slides in.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, camper