Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Best Practices

I have a few questions:
I just purchased a Crusader 298 BHD this year, and want to get many years of trouble free camping with my family. However, this is not my first 5th wheel, and realize there is maintenance needed to keep it looking good and trouble free. I was wondering if there is a schedule maintenance interval schedule that I could get for my unit. I hear about cleaning the roof, but how offend and with what product? There is also checking the seals and to when to re caulk them? I also have electric slide now where I had hydraulic on my last unit, and was wondering about proper preventive maintenance on them. I don’t want to take in to the dealer every year for service, as I am fully capable of performing any service to my 5th wheel that’s needed. I also feel I would do a more thorough job, as my back ground is in industrial maintenance, and know the importance in preventive maintenance on equipment. However, I do plan on continuing taking it to the dealer once a year in the spring for an annual leak testing.
I like this forum because it allows me to read about other issues other people have had with their Crusaders, and lets me be proactive with repairs. For example: the sound bar seems to be a common theme with coming lose with the Crusaders, so it alerts me to check the screws and hardware on my sound bar, so I don’t have the same issue. Also, to take extra care with the counter tops to keep them looking new and scratch free.
I read the manual, but found it very generic on the features and best practices on the unit. I was hoping I to see more of a maintenance interval. I realize members of Prime Time manufacturing chime in on some things, and I think that great, and was hoping they could offer a best practices’ interval with recommended products to use.
I also have a question about covering it in the winter. I have always kept my other 5th wheel in a storage barn during the winter, but unfortunately would always find that mice have found their way into my 5th wheel, and have done EVERTHING to keep them out, but every year they find their way back in. So, I plan on keeping it outside, and was thinking about getting a cover. Some people have told me not to bother it will be fine without one, but I’m worried about leaves, twigs, and snow as I live in New Hampshire, and we get snow. I’m also wondering about how much of a snow load my 5th wheel could take?
Any advice or documentation would be helpful.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #2

Clean the roof about twice a year, followed by a careful inspection of the seams and recaulking as necessary. Don't forget to apply some protectant to the roof material. Next, wash and wax a couple of times a year. Every spring you should take the wheels off and repack the bearings, followed by a brake adjustment. Inside cleaning and using something like protectall on all of the wood/wood look surfaces will help too. Late fall it is time to winterise. Spring it is time to un-winterize and sanitize the fresh water system.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Go to faq section there's an article about cleaning your roof
Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #4

I'm on the fence about a cover also. Read just as many good reasons as I do bad. I didn't cover it last year. No need to repack wheels bearing. Just pull the rubber plugs out and use a grease gun. There are also a couple grease fitting on the front landing gear inside the front storage. Nothing special with the electric slides. If you have the in wall slide motors like I have in the front bedroom they are maintenance free. the rear slides are rack and pinion. A little dry lube on the gear teeth and rollers is all they need. Protect All has a roof treatment system that seems to be very good. Haven't used it myself yet but plan too.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I will look for the greese fittings on the landing gear. I will also look for the Protect All line for roof cleaning and for the wood cabinets.
M109Rrider do you have to use the slide on your hitch with your Crusader? I was thinking about getting a new truck, and have always had a long bed because of my hitch ( Reese 18k Signature series), but the Crusader has a nose cone that has the clearance for the short beds. I was wondering if would be alright with a short bed with my Crusader?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You may have clearance for a short bed truck, but watch your wheel base. The shorter the tow vehicle, the worse for ride and sway, although I know it's a 5th wheel, they still get jerked around by big trucks passing, and yes, they will sway.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
Thanks for the input. I will look for the greese fittings on the landing gear. I will also look for the Protect All line for roof cleaning and for the wood cabinets.
M109Rrider do you have to use the slide on your hitch with your Crusader? I was thinking about getting a new truck, and have always had a long bed because of my hitch ( Reese 18k Signature series), but the Crusader has a nose cone that has the clearance for the short beds. I was wondering if would be alright with a short bed with my Crusader?
I don't have a slider and have plenty of clearance, tows solid.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #8

I have a 2006 gmc short bed and clearance is not an issue. however i have a 6.5 foot box and I am pretty sure the new trucks have a shorter box