Old 05-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #21
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
Can anyone explain why a bike rack on the back bumper is a "no-no," but a spare tire seems to be OK. I've carried a tandem on the back bumper of most of my RVs. The bike rack is the kind that comes in two separate pieces that hold the wheels. The TT spare goes in the truck. The weight is not significantly different and the stress is spread more broadly over the bumper. It strikes me as safer than a spare tire, but perhaps I'm courting disaster.
It likely depends on how much weight and what reinforcements that you do. A buddy of mine installed on like LKicklight posted and within 2 trips drug his family's 4 bikes down the road when the bumper welds broke. We were just camping with them a couple of weekends ago and I noticed he's using it again- I assume he's done some reinforcements.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #22
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Can anyone explain why a bike rack on the back bumper is a "no-no," but a spare tire seems to be OK. I've carried a tandem on the back bumper of most of my RVs. The bike rack is the kind that comes in two separate pieces that hold the wheels. The TT spare goes in the truck. The weight is not significantly different and the stress is spread more broadly over the bumper. It strikes me as safer than a spare tire, but perhaps I'm courting disaster.
Start buying lotto tickets because luck is on your side...so far ,)

Old 05-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
This one?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Thats the one!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Considered mounting bikes on front of tow vehicle, but the feed back we received made sense when you consider the bikes are out there in the rain, bugs, sand and rocks, anyone of these can ruin a good bike especially one that you have some bucks invested in.
I agree with LKicklight regarding mounting bikes on the front of the tow vehicle. Some folks have inexpensive department store type bikes, but many higher end bikes can cost several hundred or even thousands of dollars. My bike retails for $700 and my wife's $500. I would not like exposing those bikes to flying stones sand and all the other junk that can ruin a good bike.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Can anyone explain why a bike rack on the back bumper is a "no-no," but a spare tire seems to be OK.
this warning is generally for ultralight trailers, not motorhomes or heavy 5th wheels.

the physics between a spare tire on the bumper and a bunch of bikes on the bumper are different.
the spare tire is mounted right up against the back wall of the trailer. its weight is inline with the bumper.
a bike rack full of bikes, is held out and away from the back wall of the trailer.
so, its weight is also out and away, so when the bouncing starts(since TT's don't have shocks), the bikes' weight pulls back and down, like a fulcrum.
this is like a pipe attached to the bumper and someone standing on the bumper, grabs the pipe and leans back and pulls on the pipe over and over.
eventually this constant action will stress the bumper and its welds, especially on ultralight trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #26

I see where this might be a problem with an ultra lite but reinforcing should fix that. I had a trail lite that i hauled 2 bikes and large sewer caddy for 15 years without a problem at all.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I agree with LKicklight regarding mounting bikes on the front of the tow vehicle. Some folks have inexpensive department store type bikes, but many higher end bikes can cost several hundred or even thousands of dollars. My bike retails for $700 and my wife's $500. I would not like exposing those bikes to flying stones sand and all the other junk that can ruin a good bike.
We have been mounting our non department store type bikes on the front of our pick up for years, never have had a problem with them getting dinged up or damaged from being up front. Regular maintenance keeps them in tip top riding shape. I see very high dollar mountain bikes mounted on roof tops of a lot of different vehicles in fact our son transports his $4600 mountain bike this way and says it gets more bugs and chips on in from using it the way it is meant to be used....riding in the dirt. I would rather see a bug get smashed on our bikes then get to my destination and find out that I had been dragging our bikes on the road surface due to a hitch failure on the back of our trailer..I guess the best option is one that you are most comfortable with.

Tags
bike, bike rack, camper