Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 11:09 PM   #1

Bike Racks

Made two cross country trips with our 2013 Sanibel 3500 with a bike rack attached to the factory installed hitch. After our second trip, I noticed that the rack was excessively worn out. I called the manufacturer for replacement parts and was informed that this rack was not to be used on 5th wheels or trailers due to the excessive up/down movement of the units. They informed me that I was fortunate in not losing the bike/unit during my travels due to structural failure of the rack. I reread the instructions that came with the rack and sure enough there was a warning that stated, "Not to be used on any trailer, fifth wheel or towed vehicle" I ended up rebuilding the rack and selling it. Began researching and found that there are bike racks specifically designed for 5th wheel and trailer use. I since bought one, since wifey will not let me bring the bikes inside the unit.

I thought I would share this info, for I for one, did not read all the fine print and was lucky not to have dropped two bikes and rack on to traffic behind me during my travels.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 PM   #2

We had one break many years ago. I don't trust them anymore and the back just bounces too much so we currently use one that is over the propane tanks on the front of the trailer.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
sji

Thinking of added a receiver and carrying our bikes on the front of our F350. Need this just for 2 cruisers we take with us when we go to the beach campgrounds. Our good road bikes travel inside the fifth wheel.
sji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

Yep. We were denied the lifetime warranty using a Saris rack on our Class C that failed on a xcountry trip. We've since bought a rack for half the price that is approved for our use. We immediately noticed better stability and much less bounce from the rack. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	116264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	116265  

Tags
bike, bike rack