Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #1

Black tank odor

K I'm at the end of my rope. The first half of the season was great, but just recently I have been getting sewage Oder when I flush the toilet. I use the same chemical I have for years, aqua chem , and never had any issues. I use it in my boat too and all is well. This just started. Last week I flush my tank REAL GOOD! Thinking I had residual in there, and this past weekend when I added chemical to my empty tank and let the water run down for a minute or so...I started smelling sewage again...I checked the roof vent and the cap is intact and it is not plugged...and I don't get any Oder inside until I flush the toilet...

Any one have any ideas that I should try, please? This is driving me nuts. I do things the same way I have with my old camper , and never had an issues what so ever with oder..

Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Add 2 to 3 gallons of water.....add the chemicals....drive to your next camping destination.......some people recommend adding a bag of ice just before take off.....will help clean sensor and remove any residuals....good luck

Old 08-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
......and I don't get any Oder inside until I flush the toilet...

Any one have any ideas that I should try, please? This is driving me nuts. I do things the same way I have with my old camper , and never had an issues what so ever with oder..
You are asking for ideas, any ideas, so please forgive me if this sounds stupid:

If the bathroom overhead fan is running while you flush, try turning it off just before you flush and back on afterwards. I noticed the same thing you are experiencing and realized that it was the fan literally sucking the smell right out of the toilet tank every time I flushed.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #4

I actually thought about that. Usually the fan is off. I have turned it on after though.

I have also tried washing my tanks real good with the black tank flush. Filled up and emptied twice. My sensors are always clean aim assuming cause they usually read good...and the method I use to dump always leaves them showing empty.

We have had a ton of 90 degree days this year , so I though it was the heat as well, but my boat gets emptied once a month if that with the same chemicals and I don't have that problem....my father in law is visiting from Florida for the summer. He has his motor home parked on the side of my house and dumps probably once a month and he uses no chemicals and has no Oder at all..lucky him..

Anyways I'll keep plugging away at it.

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
I actually thought about that. Usually the fan is off. I have turned it on after though.

I have also tried washing my tanks real good with the black tank flush. Filled up and emptied twice. My sensors are always clean aim assuming cause they usually read good...and the method I use to dump always leaves them showing empty.

Anyways I'll keep plugging away at it.
Heres a shot in the dark from memory. If the unit is a Thetford Aqua Magic, some of them are vented to the black tank inside the bowl to act as overflow for the bowl. Its located just under the flush nozzle on the left side of the bowl. From memory there is a built in "trap" to keep the odors from being drafted up. The trap can and does evaporate. Not sure how to refill it. Can fill bowl to the nozzle level and it will fill itself. Let stand a minute then dump bowl. Got fingers crossed.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #6

I have a domestic toilet though. And I only happens when I flush. I will check that out. But I don't think thats it. At this point I'm gonna check everything. I'll be back in my unit Monday. I'll be checking all this stuff at that time

Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
I have a domestic toilet though. And I only happens when I flush. I will check that out. But I don't think thats it. At this point I'm gonna check everything. I'll be back in my unit Monday. I'll be checking all this stuff at that time
Checked Dometic site, they don't have overflow. They speak to if bowl goes over, you should fix flush valve! Anyway have another idea. Sounds like tank is pressurizing maybe from the bacteria at work. The roof vent may in fact not be allowing the gases to escape as designed. You vent the tank by using the only inlet. Takes only a moment to check roof vent for improper installation, not uncommon. When I suggest pressure, only talking in "inches of water pressure", very hard to measure, but enough to cause your symptom.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

Kozzy, remove roof vent cap and snake out vent stack. You may have a wasp nest in vent pipe. I have had that in the past years with other RV's.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #9

I will remove the cover and snake the vent and use a hose down there and hopefully that will clear it up for me...it really is bothersome....

Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #10

X-3 on a possible vent stack issue!!!

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank