Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Black water flush

How do i flush my Black water tank? 2012 Crusader ,I connected the blue hose to the quick connect and the other end to the hose connector and then water leaked over on the far side of the basement.(under shower)My book doesn,t say any thing about flushing from the outside.
charliebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

With the tank dump open that's all there is to it. I usually hook straight up to the campground spigot with a separate hose (not my pot. water hose) for more pressure . Sounds like you have a leak. Can you see where it's coming from?
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Blue hose to the quick connect? It sounds like you are trying to use the outside shower hook-up? Not exactly sure what that result would be but neither of those items have anything to do with the Black Tank Flush.

M109 has it right - just connect an incoming water hose direct to the threaded Black Tank connection.

Contact our Customer Service for more detailed assistance:

primetimerv.com

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #4

Thanks ,it looks like i was doing it wrong,ill do the seperate hose hookup the next time i dump.A guy here in the park rigged two vavles off the main water ,closes one and opens the other.Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
It sounds like you are trying to use the outside shower hook-up?
I connect the outside shower to the blackflush connection to flush the the black tank when there's no water connecion at the dump station. You only have the water pump pressure, but it's better than not flushing at all. All you need is a brass adapter...1/2" npt to 3/4" hose.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #6

yes i was connected to the outside shower , i don,t have any leaks on the city water .so that tells me i have a leak on the pump system. the water came from under the inside shower.i did end up flushing with a separate hose.it worked,,I'm going to use the pink stuff this week to check and see if the leak is in the pump system.if it is that means the shower has to come out to fix it.we are going south in two weeks so it may get fixed next spring.i will call pt tomorrow.thanks.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Lottery Non-Winner

When you say blue hose, do you mean this?

Or do you mean this?

It makes a major difference. The second blue hose has nothing to do with the black tank.
I'm not sure how your rig is set up, but many have a black water rinse that is labeled. Just hook up a regular hose to it (but preferably not your drinking hose).

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #8

yes the small blue hose,i found out thats a no-no.i believe i found where the leak is, there is a pipe chase along the wall in our bedroom,i bet i find a tee behind that pannel.Ill post tomorrow.thanks.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #9

just water lines,no tees.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #10

Up-date, I called PT and got Roger on the phone,He made a trip over to the factory to see how the lines were runing in the basement.He told me to look behind the shower faucet,BINGO,,,there is a vent of somekind that was loose.It took about 15 min, to fix.Thanks Roger.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #11

On the topic of black water flush. Saw a guy run his black water flush with his dump valve closed. Don't remember what kind of 5th wheel it was but he split his black water tank. I felt sorry for him but I was glad I saw it happen because I had contemplated doing the same thing myself. It was the first time we had our new 290RLT out and I figure I got a big break on that one. I made up for it though when I backed the unit up and forgot I still had the tail gate down on the truck. Put a nice gouge in the front storage door.
tsuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebob View Post
Up-date, I called PT and got Roger on the phone,He made a trip over to the factory to see how the lines were running in the basement.He told me to look behind the shower faucet,BINGO,,,there is a vent of some kind that was loose.It took about 15 min, to fix.Thanks Roger.
Not a "vent" but a one way check valve for anti-siphon protection. You would not want a full black tank sloshing black water out your flush hose fitting while driving to the dump station.

Pretty crappy one too. Many complaints here about early failures. Replacing with a brass one is a more permanent fix.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #13

I,ll put that on my to do list.Merry Christmas.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuther View Post
On the topic of black water flush. Saw a guy run his black water flush with his dump valve closed. Don't remember what kind of 5th wheel it was but he split his black water tank.
Isn't the black tank vented to the roof stack? Why would this pressurize the tank enough to hurt it?

2011 Crusader 270RET
2008 F-250 Diesel
NottieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottieMatt View Post
Isn't the black tank vented to the roof stack? Why would this pressurize the tank enough to hurt it?
I have to ride to his defense here.

1) While the tank IS vented to the roof, the angle iron supports that hold the tank in place are at the absolute minimum gauge to support a full tank of water. As the tank bulges due to the weight of water in the stack, it can break (or slip) free damaging the tank and plumbing.

2) The water is coming in at 40-60 PSI pressure and could be higher since no one uses their potable water pressure reducer (I hope) to limit pressure when you are flushing your black tank. (IMO higher is better!) However, if the tank is already full to the stack, the water coming in has to push against that column of water in the vent. This will certainly raise the pressure inside the tank well past its designed limits.

3) Something similar DID happen to my friend (a former C-130 Nav I flew with and currently camp with) when he dropped a garden hose down his vent stack to flush out a slow tank in his Montana. While admittedly he reduced the effective vent capacity to relieve water when the tank filled with the diameter of his hose, he felt that air and water should have been able to clear the vent if it should overfill. Yet, when he closed the dump valve to let the tank fill for another "flush" he was distracted by a phone call. Next thing he knew black tank water was running over his roof from the stack and gushing out of his burst tank under the camper.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black water