Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Blown Out Window

Just went on our second outing with the Crusader 270 RET since purchasing back in November 2011. Before arriving at our distination, we stopped for a quick snack. Went inside and sat down at the dinnett only to have glass fragments bouncing off the table. Opened the sunshade and low and behold, the glass had blown out. Could not see any damage to the outside, so must assume the glass failed for some un-known reason. After doing a quick patch job, we continued on to Townsend, TN., after getting set up, we went to Home Depot for a piece of 48" and 36" plexiglass, cut it to size and screwed it in place. Drove home that way on Tuesday. After getting home we paid a visit to our dealership and our good friends took a look at the photo's and pretty well determined, that the glass probably did somehow fail. It happens sometimes for no apparent reason. Hopefully Forest River will let us get a new window to replace this one, no doubt the window frame is probably not worth saving. Should know something in a few days from our dealer, they have really stepped up to the plate for us on this problem.
LKicklight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6110035.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	15250  
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

My friend had a bullet hole in his Montana's door when he got to the campground. Some friendly target shooter trying his or her skill at hitting a moving target on the highway, no doubt.

A rock thrown from a roadside could have been the culprit. It may have broken the window without penetrating if it was a glancing side hit.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #3

Window

It is truly a shame if someone has to use our rv's for a target, someone could really get hurt. Guess we will never know, it is not un-common to have windows blow out according to my dealership's experienced personnal. They have been in busniess for many years and have pretty much seen it all. We could not find any evidence of rocks, bullets on the inside and no damage to the exterior anywhere. So, the only logical choice would be probably the glass fracturing for some un-known reason. Since we have not used this coach but twice since Nov. 2011, don't have enough experience to make a call, that's why I leave it up to the professionals at my dealership, they know what to look for...
Thanks for your thoughts...
Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

My topper that I had on my old truck several years ago got hit by a slug ...a foot higher and they would have missed it completely.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #5

New Window Unit

Should have our new window unit delivered in about a week to ten days..thanks to everyone involved..dealer and Forest River...Thumbs Up to ALL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Just went on our second outing with the Crusader 270 RET since purchasing back in November 2011. Before arriving at our distination, we stopped for a quick snack. Went inside and sat down at the dinnett only to have glass fragments bouncing off the table. Opened the sunshade and low and behold, the glass had blown out. Could not see any damage to the outside, so must assume the glass failed for some un-known reason. After doing a quick patch job, we continued on to Townsend, TN., after getting set up, we went to Home Depot for a piece of 48" and 36" plexiglass, cut it to size and screwed it in place. Drove home that way on Tuesday. After getting home we paid a visit to our dealership and our good friends took a look at the photo's and pretty well determined, that the glass probably did somehow fail. It happens sometimes for no apparent reason. Hopefully Forest River will let us get a new window to replace this one, no doubt the window frame is probably not worth saving. Should know something in a few days from our dealer, they have really stepped up to the plate for us on this problem.
LKicklight
Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #6

I had the small sliding window to fail just like u said, It just happened for no reason. In cleaning mine up I found that the frame screw was broke and laying in the window channel. I think that it was broke from the factory and when I opened and reclosed it it probably had it in a bind, Its at the dealer and Forest River is taking care of it.
Hope we both get back on the trail soon.
wvbike_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #7

New window

NEW WINDOW GOING IN TOMORROW..THANKS TO FOREST RIVER AND THREE WAY...
ONLY TOOK FIFTEEN DAYS TO GET THE WINDOW..NOT BAD CONSIDERING..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
LKicklight
Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

Mr. Kicklight........Nice tape Job !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad