Old 07-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #31

NEED HELP WITH TIRE PURCHASE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poper View Post
Need help Please with tire purchase.
After all this discussion of blowout, I decided to look at my DOT date of MFG. Low and behold they are 2004 as best as I can tell.
I am second or third owner, and I recently purchased the TT privately. It's a 2004 FR FLAGSTAFF 26BHSS. So one would think they are original tires. Ten years old. I agree with conventional wisdom is five year max. Regardless of how good they look.They look amazing. Tread, no bulges or bubbles etc. After reading all the recent discussion etc re: age of tire, I am ready to purchase.
I went to my local Good Year dealer for four new Marathons this morning. Here's the puzzle.... My tire size on the build sticker attached to the TT states 205 75 15. However the tire that are on are Carlisle showing 215 75 15. Can anyone venture a guess why a different size and is of the same year of TT manufacture. Final Question, the one that really has me wondering what to do. Should I go with the original placard stated size of 205 etc or replace what is on there 215 etc. good year guy did not have Carlisle, but I was sold on GY Marathons from what I've read here. Thanks in advance for the help. This forum is amazing, I've learned so much as a newbie, just listening.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper

Poper

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #32

The 215 are approx 1.2 inches taller in diameter compared to the 205. Is there what you feel is enough room in the wheel well? They may have gone up size due to a supply issue. I know with my truck i went up a size because of availability for type of tire I wanted.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #33
Site Team

B&B, I have LRD and set to max psi at 65.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #34

Can someone help please? How do I post something where I can get a response. Seems I jumped on the tire blowout thread looking for size answer. Not sure how to post original query in bold or something. Iam "Poper" and I posted directly on the recent blowout thread and related tire stories. But if you read it looks like a reply/response. Hope I made this clear enough, I been on forum a while as newbie, and have responded etc but have not posted an original query yet. It's not clear how??
Anyway maybe someone can help with my G Y Marathon? Also can I go from 215 to 225. But the TT placard states 205 but has now 215. I'm confused, but ready to buy tires. Thanks

Poper
Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The 215 are approx 1.2 inches taller in diameter compared to the 205. Is there what you feel is enough room in the wheel well? They may have gone up size due to a supply issue. I know with my truck i went up a size because of availability for type of tire I wanted.
Can someone help please? How do I post something where I can get a response. Seems I jumped on the tire blowout thread looking for size answer. Not sure how to post original query in bold or something. Iam "Poper" and I posted directly on the recent blowout thread and related tire stories. But if you read it looks like a reply/response. Hope I made this clear enough, I been on forum a while as newbie, and have responded etc but have not posted an original query yet. It's not clear how??
Anyway maybe someone can help with my G Y Marathon? Also can I go from 215 to 225. But the TT placard states 205 but has now 215. I'm confused, but ready to buy tires. Thanks

I think your best option is discuss with a RV tire supplier. Tire clearance along with spacing, type of axles etc all play into maximum size you can use. Too big they might rub or cause clearance issue when turning if you have close tolerance on your axles.

Brian
Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #36

Thanks, I guess I will stay with the size FR called for on the TT placard 205 etc. when built. There is room for the 215 as the Carlisles now exist, but they are not available from this Good Year Dealer in Marathons. The 225 will fit, but maybe safer going with what FR specked it for. Any thoughts further?

Poper
Old 07-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #37

Going to a larger tire may (not always!!) get you a heavier weight rating though it may penalize you in clearance. Remember, a 1-1/2 inch larger diameter will only decrease your clearance by a 3/4 radius". Then there is section width and sidewall clearance to fender to consider. One size over is usually OK and often a good choice - fewer revs/mile usually runs a tire cooler too.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #38

Thanks again. Just ordered the 215 size in GY Marathon. That is the Carlisle size as they now exist. My concern was the 205 placard size by FR. Choice was made for me....per dealer and a lot of his searching can not find 205 from anyone in a 14.
So getting new Marathons tomorrow. Maybe that's why 215 is on there, prev owner may have had same dilemma.

Poper
Old 07-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #39

I went to the Firestone Transforce LT 235/85R16 E Load Range @80 psi. Been having them on for two yrs. and over 14000 mls. with no troubles. Still running the test on them, guess you could say.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #40
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
B&B, I have LRD and set to max psi at 65.
Dave, did you get your TST TPMS system ordered?

Tags
crusader