Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #1

Bubbles in exterior walls

My wife and I have been looking to upgrade to a new camper for a couple of years and have come close to pulling the trigger on a saber 5th wheel, however I really want something I can tow with my expedition instead of my diesel. The ride quality in my truck is less then desirable. After many RV shows, and much searching we have decided on a 3200bht Tracer. We put down a deposit on one at the last show, but when we went to the dealership near our house to look at the one we would be getting it had 2 bubbles in the exterior walls. One of the big selling points of this camper for me was the construction of the exterior walls. The sales manager actually pointed these out to me right away and told me he had already set up another new camper to be delivered for me, which is arriving today.
Now he told me that some foreign object must have got into the wall during construction to cause this. Is this the case of is this brand new super strong wall already delaminating? I'm a bit worried about this.
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Site Team

I had a 2013 tracer and have a 2014 lacrosse now. No de-laminating probs on either unit.
Im sure it will have some bug-a-boos of some kind to be worked out, most do.
Good luck!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack View Post
My wife and I have been looking to upgrade to a new camper for a couple of years and have come close to pulling the trigger on a saber 5th wheel, however I really want something I can tow with my expedition instead of my diesel. The ride quality in my truck is less then desirable. After many RV shows, and much searching we have decided on a 3200bht Tracer. We put down a deposit on one at the last show, but when we went to the dealership near our house to look at the one we would be getting it had 2 bubbles in the exterior walls. One of the big selling points of this camper for me was the construction of the exterior walls. The sales manager actually pointed these out to me right away and told me he had already set up another new camper to be delivered for me, which is arriving today.
Now he told me that some foreign object must have got into the wall during construction to cause this. Is this the case of is this brand new super strong wall already delaminating? I'm a bit worried about this.
More then likely the glueing process did not take. FR has changed the process of the lamination, I have been told.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
More then likely the glueing process did not take. FR has changed the process of the lamination, I have been told.
This isn't exactly "FR". PrimeTime uses a different process.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
This isn't exactly "FR". PrimeTime uses a different process.
Well what process do they use if not composite walls that are glued together under pressure? Just wondering?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well what process do they use if not composite walls that are glued together under pressure? Just wondering?
http://www.primetimerv.com/default.a...ice=eternabond
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Glad the Salesman pointed out the imperfections rather than hoping you don't notice anything until you sign the papers and get it home. My last trailer had water penetration that bubbled the side rather than delamination. Its hit or miss on the frequency. Some trailers go years without any issues where there are ones like yours that comes from the factory with bubbles.

Just inspect the new one and make sure you get the extended warranty if there is one. My dealer threw in the 2 year warranty without charging us because of the issues we had with our other trailer.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #8

To me kinda sounds the same as FR products, do not see a big difference in the wall cons't?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Any chance you can post pictures of the bubbles? I'm curious to see what it looks like...
Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #10

I'd also like to see pictures. Did the sales snake happen to mention what they were doing with that unit? I'd hope it would be sent back to PT.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #11

I got a bubble in the spring and the unit is getting fixed right now. it started out around a dime and worked up to a quarter size

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #12

Sorry no pictures as I wasn't going to accept this unit and as they had already set me up a new one prior I didn't see the need to take photos. One bubble was in the couch dining slide it was a bout 3" in diameter and the other was on the same side directly under the front bedroom window about 2" in diameter. The sales rep was very forthcoming about the blisters and said they have contacted PT about it. What worries me is that I've been told at 2 different RV shows that this wall system is not supposed to blister/delaminate. Are the walls not all that they are supposed to be, or is the quality control at the factory lax? This is a 2014 model and should not have either of these problems.

I will be checking the new unit out very carefully when I pick it up Saturday, they have all ready offered me the extended warranty at no cost. I really hope this is an isolated incident as this camper, after 2 years of looking ticks off more boxes for us then any other has.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry no pictures as I wasn't going to accept this unit and as they had already set me up a new one prior I didn't see the need to take photos. One bubble was in the couch dining slide it was a bout 3" in diameter and the other was on the same side directly under the front bedroom window about 2" in diameter. The sales rep was very forthcoming about the blisters and said they have contacted PT about it. What worries me is that I've been told at 2 different RV shows that this wall system is not supposed to blister/delaminate. Are the walls not all that they are supposed to be, or is the quality control at the factory lax? This is a 2014 model and should not have either of these problems.

I will be checking the new unit out very carefully when I pick it up Saturday, they have all ready offered me the extended warranty at no cost. I really hope this is an isolated incident as this camper, after 2 years of looking ticks off more boxes for us then any other has.
I think the QC in the rv industry is like no other. Its got to be difficult judging by my experience. 2013 tracer and 2014 lacrosse. Certainly there not that successful at doing qc compared to most industries QC as we know it. Like to see what they reject. But then qc cant fix design flaws.But my Chevy trucks been rock solid!

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

How much more are you willing to pay for your RV???
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #15

Uh, oh, not a chevy fan. Not to drag my thread off topic, but I have F-250 diesel that I use as my daily driver back and forth from Detroit, it currently has 392xxx miles and counting. A Blackhawks fan as well I see, figures, well they are bound to have a couple. j/k hopefully I'll have better luck with mine. My wife says she's had enough with the looking time to buy already.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
How much more are you willing to pay for your RV???
Dont you think we pay enough? Note ..I think prime time makes one of the better units out there... But I think QC in RV is kinda lacking compared to other industries.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Uh, oh, not a chevy fan. Not to drag my thread off topic, but I have F-250 diesel that I use as my daily driver back and forth from Detroit, it currently has 392xxx miles and counting. A Blackhawks fan as well I see, figures, well they are bound to have a couple. j/k hopefully I'll have better luck with mine. My wife says she's had enough with the looking time to buy already.
CUPS on the left
Your not a wings fan after 3 losses in a row in the play-offs. LOL
Gonna miss the Hawks and wings playing each other as division foes.
Prime Time makes a good unit! Best of luck even to a wings fan.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #18

Hawks fan and a Chevy Platokidd? Oh boy... HA!

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 10-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Hawks fan and a Chevy Platokidd? Oh boy... HA!
Chevy ford dodge had them all and there all good trucks!
But for the Hawks I'll keep bragging rights at least til June.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #20

Good taste in trailers, lousy with hockey and trucks.. HA! (Life long Oilers fan here, so I can't talk...).

Cheers.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD

Tags
exterior