Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Cabinet latches for travel

We had the first (minor) catastrophe in our Sanibel 3500 on the first weekend we picked it up. We camped one night at the dealer and packed up the next morning for a destination about 100 miles away. When we got there, all parked and unhitched, I pushed the button to move the slides out. After a bit I heard a terrible cracking sound and stopped. It was coming from the vicinity of the entertainment slide-out. I reversed the direction and then there was a really loud crack, as one of the cabinet doors snapped into two pieces.

What had happened is that one of the very few cabinet doors that could interfere with the slides had come open during our trip. (That was the only one that did of course...dang Murphy.) In this RV, the big living room slide is the last one to go out, so you can't even get to the entertainment slide-out area until it's too late.

Since that time (while I wait... a month now... for my new cabinet door), I use the hydraulic control values to force the big living room slide to come out first so I can go to the other end of the RV to check for any problems. (Those values are a very nice feature! Thanks!)

The other thing I've done is to put "child safety" closures, the long-U shaped ones that connect the handles together in the center of dual-closure cabinets, on all the places where there are dual-closure cabinets. I'm wondering if others also have this concern, and what you might have done to make sure your cabinets don't come open during travel. (No, we didn't have any big heavy items in that cabinet. The latch just didn't mate very well so it came open on its own.)

Thanks for your comments.

BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Sanibel 3500 cabinit door

Thanks for this info. My wife and I will be taking delivery of my new 2013 Sanibel 3500 on the 29th of this month. I will pay particulal attention fo this when we do our shake down cruise.

Fred & Carol
toastedmarshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
We use Velcro OneWrap and run it through the handles. I've had various cabinet doors come open (never the same ones from trip to trip).

The one that got me to finally get something was when the spices cabinet opened. A bottle of imitation vanilla fell and the cap broke. Fortunately it fell into the sink and the mess was contained.

I've bungeed a door in our bunkhouse since we got the camper due to concern about it being packed full of kid's (cough) stuff and the double-slides in there. That got replaced with this Velcro stuff.

I also Velcro all of my drawers together because one or two of them periodically open (again, not usually the same ones all of the time).
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
We had a lower cabinet door knob get caught against the ODS slide and it sheared the knob off. Since then, I've had wifey check before every slide operation. All double cabinet doors have large rubber bands holding them shut too. We've had different ones pop open while traveling and even had the microwave door open and the glass tray hit the floor. Thankfully it didn't shatter. I have no idea how to keep that thing shut.
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
.... I have no idea how to keep that thing shut.
DUCT TAPE to the rescue.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Originally Posted by dunnnc

DUCT TAPE to the rescue.
I'm using Gorilla Tape now.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou
The red Velcro ties work great and can be combined for longer lengths.

I also use bungee cords on drawer knobs to tie them together. This way a heavier than normal loaded drawer will be held in by the clasps of the more lightly loaded drawers.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Berkshire 390QS
Child proof locks are on all the cabinets with dishes etc. Haven't lost a dish yet!
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days,
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Great ideas! I had a door open on me during transport just like Barry. The hinge is now bent and the door won't close. May have to buy new hardware.
Kenny n Karen
TV: 2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW - named Alice
RV: 2012 XLR Thunderbolt 35x12 - named Thor
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
We put double magnet latches on both sides of the upper cabinet between the kitchen and ent slide. We also put magnet latches on the cabinet above the pantry. We have a checklist for locking the pantry, shower door, walk in closet doors, washer/dryer area, both bathroom doors and bedroom door. There are several good check lists for breaking down in the library. We follow ours strictly. She has one for inside, I have one for outside. After hooking up and before moving I walk 30-50 feet away and look things over before pulling out, it has saved me a few times.
Isnt the Sanibel a GREAT trailer we love ours.
Wayne and Donna

Wayne, Donna and Moab
2016 Ford S/D Platinum
2013 Sanibel 3500
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote

3500, hydraulic valves, sanibel, cabinets