Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
DS ADV Rider

Cabinets hinges not secure

We're on our 2nd shakedown trip with our new 2012 Lacrosse 301RLS. I noticed a few cabinet hinges were loose but couldn't be tightened as they'd been "stripped".

Up to this point I'd understood that the Prime Time Cabinets were solid wood (as pointed out by the salesman) but closer inspection shows the frames are vinyl-covered particle board. I checked the PT swebsite and find the Lacrosse specs include:

Solid Hartford Cherry Cabinet Doors
Solid Wood Core Cabinets
Predrilled and Screwed Cherry Finish Cabinetry

Not sure what "solid wood core" means but "Cherry finish cabinetry" usually means "not real wood".

Short of using larger screws each time they come loose, has anyone had this problem and found a long term solution?

Bob
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #2

I had this problem with one of my cabinets on my toy hauler. I put some gorrila wood glue in the whole and then put screw back and so far so good hasn't come loose again and I have gone quite a few dirt roads since then.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Only one time have I had stripped holes. Fill them with tootpicks and a dab of wood glue. Reinstall screws after glue is dry.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

I had that problem in my Roo, I used gorilla glue to keep the screws in.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #5

Have had the same problem with all of our trailers, so it is not just a PT problem. Fixed them with the glue and toothpick/matchstick trick. Had one door in the LaCrosse jar open on some rough Iowa roads, tore the screws out of the wood real bad, glue trick didn't work. Bought some dowel rod, drilled the holes out just a hair larger than the rod, cut some short plugs from the dowel, glue them in, touched up the finish, drilled new screw holes, reinstalled the door, 2000 miles and door still in place and working good.

Keep on talking RVing.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood Danny View Post
Have had the same problem with all of our trailers, so it is not just a PT problem. Fixed them with the glue and toothpick/matchstick trick. Had one door in the LaCrosse jar open on some rough Iowa roads, tore the screws out of the wood real bad, glue trick didn't work. Bought some dowel rod, drilled the holes out just a hair larger than the rod, cut some short plugs from the dowel, glue them in, touched up the finish, drilled new screw holes, reinstalled the door, 2000 miles and door still in place and working good.

Keep on talking RVing.
Bought a "new" 2011 Flagstaff V-Lite nobody wanted because it had a table and chairs versus a dinette. I was a cranky old man on here because I had to do 32 hinge holes like that and put blind nuts through the slide to hold the table in the slide properly. The reason I did all of them was at least this way I knew they were done right. I thought that was too large of a number to have to repair. So much for quality control from an assembly line. At least I didn't get a Lippert frame to worry about too.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

same issue here with my 318bhs.....those screws are like 1/4 inch....seriously??? i asked the tech at my dealer for some longer ones, and he said they use the toothpick/glue method....

i went to home depot and found some rubbed bronze hardware screws a little longer...THEN i used the toothpick/glue method....

you dont realize how many doors/hinges are on your trailer untill you attempt this...what can i say, im a perfectionist and it bugged me to no end that the hinges were loose.....and the ones that werent would probably be after a while.....

i tell ya, whoever gets this trailer after me in a couple of years is gonna think prime time makes the best most well built trailers in the world after im done with it! LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
DS ADV Rider

Thanks for all the good advice.

Does anyone question why the manufacturers use particle board for an application that requires screws? It's heavier that most woods and can't save enough $ to justify the warranty labour claims.

Bob
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

Just use duct tape!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #10

We had same problem on our MiniLite. First tried larger wood screws but they also would not hold.

Finally used bolts that went all the way thru and tightened them securely with washer & nuts. Just did the ones that were loose and figured I'd do others when/if needed.

Problem solved.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #11

pretty common problem on this rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
I noticed a few cabinet hinges were loose but couldn't be tightened as they'd been "stripped".

for the best easy repair
JB Weld Quick Set
apply a small amount into hole
and onto screw
lightly screw the screw back in
in 60 min pretty much rock hard
I have done about 5 of these in the last year
all still (super tight)
one repair on the door shock larger screw
lot of pressure there
still (super tight)
if one wishes to break screws or bolts loose later