Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

Cable TV Hook-Up Question

We have a Prime Time Tracer 2670 BHS that is cable ready. We have never stayed at a campground with cable TV, but will be soon. I'm not sure I bought the correct cable (RG6 coax)...is it the same as connecting cable in the house? Where is the connection at the site? I know...crazy questions, but never paid attention to this before. Thanks in advance for your help..

TravelTracer
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #2

Yes, it will be the same coax used at your house.
As for location at the CG, I normally see them on the power pedestal.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

When we had cable at a CG the connection was on the power post. RG6 coax will work. You should have a connection on the outside of your TT. Run coax from post to the trailer and remember to set tv to cable.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
"Roughing it since 2000"

Don't forget to turn off your antenna signal booster. On my TT it blocks the incoming cable when turned on.
2007flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies...I do have a connection on the outside of the trailer that I can hook-up to. I would never have thought of turning the booster off...thanks!

TravelTracer
Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Travel Trailer Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007flagstaff View Post
Don't forget to turn off your antenna signal booster. On my TT it blocks the incoming cable when turned on.
I was getting ready to post a question about the cable reception on my new Tracer. We went out on our initial trip and the cable reception in the trailer was poor and we ended up running cable straight from the campground box to our TV set up outside. Now I have to go camping sooner vice later just so I can proof the signal booster theory .
Old 07-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #7

After you switch to "cable" and deactivate your antenna booster, be sure to scan channels on EACH TV in the TT. This will ensure the channels you click through are the channels available over that cable system. You should do this at each campground because they obviously have all different cable providers.
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #8

We are enjoying cable TV...thanks to your helpful responses. After connecting the cable, I shut off the antenna booster, auto scanned the tv channels.

TravelTracer
Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies. We will be trying out cable access for the first time next week. Wouldn't have thought of turning off the antenna booster. Love this forum!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #10

We have a 318 BHS, and the entertainment center cabinet above the television has a gazillion and twelve connections. We can't seem to find a "road map" of all these connections anywhere ...

When we open the doors, on the right hand interior wall of the cabinet (the side toward the Jensen Stereo) there is another coax outlet. Does anyone out there know what that connection is for? I'd take a picture but I forgot the cord that connects my camera to the computer. The connection I'm asking about is inside the cabinet, not the one on the open shelf below those doors.

Thanks! Cathy (the wife)

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
DS ADV Rider

Probably some models are slightly different but the general principle in the TV and the Jensen hookups seem to be:
1) A single RG-6 coax running from the outside coax socket labelled "Satellite" to a plain unlabelled wall-plate with a single coax connector near the main TV. This is connected to the Sat Receiver INPUT.
2) A single RG-6 coax running from the outside coax socket labelled "Cable" and terminating at the rear of the Antenna Booster switch plate near the main TV. There is NO direct access to this "Cable" coax.
3) The coax connector on the switched Antenna Booster plate is connected to the TV.
4) To watch Over the Air TV, switch the Antenna Booster ON (usually a push button). To watch Park Cable TV, switch the booster OFF.
5) If you have another outlet in the bedroom and/or outside, it will be fed from a splitter box just AFTER the antenna booster switch so those TVs will get either OTA or Cable TV based on whether the booster is ON or OFF.
6) The Red, White and Yellow RCA connectors dangling near the main TV are probably:
a) R/W/Y is the Video OUT from the Jensen DVD player and is connected to A/V IN at the TV.
b) R/W is the Audio IN for the Jenson and is connected to the Audio OUT at the TV.

To get Satellite TV in the bedroom or outside usually means modifying the existing cabling. Several previous posts have discussed this subject.

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote